[Guide] OTA Manual Install - Easy

1. i5xswipe
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 15, 2015

i5xswipe , Apr 15, 2015 :
    Hello all !!

4/23 - NEW OTA - YNG1TAS17L
    http://builds.cyngn.com/cyanogen-os...816218e8a/cm-12.0-YNG1TAS17L-bacon-signed.zip
    Updates Links below too!
    Steven Kondik has clarified on the OnePlus Forum the reason for the OTA's rollout halt. He also explained that the OTA will first show up for those who updated to the previous Lollipop build and then for those who are still on KitKat. (Thanks, Patschi!)

Just FYI, the reasons why we stopped the initial rollout are because of a problem updating encrypted devices from 11 to 12, and a couple of bugs that we felt were critical enough to fix before continuing (mms/telephony/themes). We also had an error in our production build environment that broke voice wakeup.

Here's what we are doing right now:

1. Rolling out the new bugfixed update to users already on CM12

2. Resuming rollout to users still on CM11 tomorrow (it's late here). You'll actually first see a small 8MB update which will prepare the device for the real update (required if you are encrypted), this will immediately be followed by the new CM12 update.

I apologize for the delays.. This is why we do staged rollouts though. Lots of stuff (especially among a crowd like this that might not be in a fully stock state) is really tough to account for when doing OTAs, so we closely watch the diagnostic data and make our decisions based on it.

It's perfectly safe to sideload the build onto your device even if you're encrypted.

Enjoy :)

New OTA comments start here on page 58.
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/guide-ota-manual-install-easy.297425/page-58#post-11036178

WHO IS THIS GUIDE FOR:

This guide is intended to help those of you who are impatiently waiting your turn in the queue for the Cyanogen OS12 OTA for the OnePlus One (International/Global version... I do not know if the Indian version is identical).

Following this guide will get you feigns your OS 12 fix by skipping that automated OTA line, "queue". We are manually starting the OTA update file. This will keep your phone stock, and you will receive all future OTA updates.

This guide is for those whom currently run stock CM11S(ANY VERSION!) or Cyanogen OS 12. The latest OTA is reported working for those users with encryption after receiving the 8mb OTA. I do not have a link to this file yet.

This is not intended for those of you running Oxygen OS, a custom recovery, or rooted, you lot already know how to do this simple update, or can find many other guides or how-to threads regarding your specific configuration. Please refrain from taking part in this guide, as it creates confusion for the vast majority of stock OPO users.

NEED TO KNOW:
    This process involves nearly zero technical knowledge, it is safe, simple and only manually activates the OTA update file!

It will NOT erase your data or phones contents!

Nor does it involve gaining root or any complex tethering or ADB use. The entire procedure is completed using only your OnePlus One!!

This update consumed less then 20% of my fully charged OnePlus One battery, but it is highly recommended you begin this process with a full battery charge. Less then 50% charge will create a loss of your ability to breath when the update does not complete due to a battery meter check. I recommend having a charger available and plugged in continuously if you are not starting from >70%!

This is only a guide, and I take no responsibility for the outcome, damage, or bricking of any of your devices and will not offer any warranty or warranty of support.

I do recommend if you are having decreased battery life or issues prior to this update, that you begin this recovery process by completing a "Factory Reset." This step will delete all user data/apps/contacts/photos/etc. But this will yield the best battery life, and buttery smooth user interaction! Please ensure you have all backups to Google or elsewhere completed before initiating a "Factory Reset"!!!
    Not confirmed in latest OTA - A factory reset will erase SwiftKey Keyboard!

SIMPLIFIED STEPS:
    1. Using your OnePlus One, download the OTA file straight from Cyanogen. http://builds.cyngn.com/cyanogen-os...816218e8a/cm-12.0-YNG1TAS17L-bacon-signed.zip
    2. Reboot into Recover
    3. Select Apply Update
    4. Locate the downloaded file - Where you saved it (generally Downloads)
    5. Tapping the file will initialize the install!
    6. Reboot when that Recovery option reappears, it happens quickly!
    7. All done! Just wait for phone to do its job. 5 minutes or more
    EXPANDED STEPS:
    Touchscreen works, if you have fat fingers, you may elect to use the volume buttons UP and Down to navigate the menus. POWER button to select.

1. Using your OnePlus One, download the OTA file straight from Cyanogen. http://builds.cyngn.com/cyanogen-os...816218e8a/cm-12.0-YNG1TAS17L-bacon-signed.zip If this is done using Chrome it will download your file into the "Downloads" directory. You may choose a custom destination with any download manager. This will require you locating your "zip" file in later steps.

2. Reboot into Recover - This is done by turning off the phone. When powering on the phone hold "Power" button AND "Volume Down" button until the phone responds. When the phone responds let go! You will in a matter of several seconds see the below screen prompt. Welcome into Recovery! Simply select "Apply Update" by touching the screen accordingly.
    image.jpg

3.At this screen simply touch "Choose from internal storage"
    image.jpg

4. At this screen we need to select our storage device, which should be "0/"
    image.jpg

5. Your download should be located in the "Download/" folder if you allowed Chrome to automatically download the file. If you chose a different location please follow the appropriate directory tree to point to the OTA file!
    image.jpg

6. Simply touch the file we downloaded, "cm-12.0-YNG1TAS0YL-bacon-signed.zip" and the install will automatically occur!
    image.jpg

7. In a matter of seconds the update will complete. Simply choose "Reboot System Now" when that option shows again. Your phone will boot to the Cyanogen logo for approximately 2-3 minute followed by the "Optimizing Applications" notification. - Thank you @mjb1975 for the clarification and help!
    image.jpg

You now are running Cyanogen OS 12! You may need to launch Play store and update several apps, including Google Play Services at this time!

**At this time you are free to delete the large OTA update zip file saved on your OnePlus One using any file manager!**

EDIT: Adding this Video tutorial that someone created for your reference so you can visually follow the steps above. I left out the Develop reboot option for simplicity and safety. Most users have no reason to access this menu. Your choice to enter recovery is up to you. I also leave clearing cache, as it is not necessary.

ENJOY!!​

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

2. i5xswipe

Common Questions: These are covered in the guide, but I will restate here!
    1. Does this require root? NO
    2. Will I receive future OTA updates? YES
    3. Does this delete my data? NO
    4. Is the latest OTA compatible with Encryption? Yes
    Bugs:
    1. 2nd OTA did not correct reduction of 64GB reduced to 54GB. A factory reset may correct this, not confirmed.
    2. Can someone check this bug against latest OTA and report back. When casting you cannot change interruptions: "None," " Priority," "All"
    The below was specific to the first OTA release of COS12 "0YL"
    Common Issues

1. My phone is hanging a long time at the "Cyanogen" *pulsing* screen - Keep waiting, this is the time the actual installation occurs and takes time. You will notice your phone will warm slightly too. It takes about 3-5 minutes.
    2. Recovery is rejecting the OTA file with an error. - Please reboot phone, delete the previously downloaded file, and download again. You likely have a corrupt file that is not passing a checksum. Then attempt to flash again.
    3. If your battery is below 50% the install will stop at the phone reboot process and be black. Charge your phone!
    4. Theme Crash -
      1. First log into Themes in the app drawer!!
      2. ^ DO THE ABOVE ^
      3. Manage themes from the app drawer not Settings!
      4. If this does not fix the issue - Settings-->Apps-->All-->Theme Chooser and Themes and "Clear Data"/"Clear Cache" then Force close.
      5. If this still doesn't fix your issue, perform a factory reset
    5. My phone did not reboot and is stuck off - Enter recovery again and flash the OTA again following the guide. Or your battery is below 50%, plug in charger.
    6. I can't find this setting option that use to be in CM11S - Settings-->About Phone--> Turn on "Advanced Mode" The move to Android 5 is a huge design and coding change. With that in mind some features or design elements have changed.
    7. OH MY! THE BATTERY DRAIN!! - After updating if you look at the battery stats you likely are seeing about 3 hours left before it is dead. This is a lie. Your battery stats need to calibrate and your phone is also under heavy load syncing and updating. You should see around 24 hours under normal use and configuration.
    8. Google Play Service keeps Crashing! - You will receive a GPS update shortly, you can help speed this process up, by going to the "Google Play Store" and checking for application updates. You should also find a WebView update too.
    9. Factory reset after update - Will erase SwiftKey Keyboard!!
    10. It says "E: failed to mount" - You encrypted your phone and did not read the guide. The only workaround for a manual update is to do a factory reset of your device which will delete your phones contents and the encrypted partition. After performing the reset you can then apply the update. You then may choose to encrypt your phone again.
    11. If you are using Google Hangouts for SMS you will receive this error at boot.
    Screenshot_2015-04-16-20-05-42.png

Bugs:
    1. The Available storage on 64GB models was reduced to 54GB. (I believe this was the serious issue with the OTA leading to its "pause" and will be addressed with future OTA later this week.
    2. Themes Manager for many users crashes. Those running custom themes coming from 11s that are not supported in COS12 will have numerous issues until the developer updates theme or you choose a supported theme. I have been told a factory reset fixes the crash issue.
    3. When casting you cannot change interruptions: "None," " Priority," "All"
    4. Reports of Gesture issues for some users.
    5. Radio update has changed some settings and APN for a very small subset of users. They report data or connection issues. I believe most have fixed through updating APN settings or doing a reset. If you had this issue please report back fix.

More to come...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015

3. vmekaiten
    Froyo Apr 15, 2015

vmekaiten , Apr 15, 2015 :
    Can't i just wait until i get a notification or something on the phone , that i can update it ?

4. rahulrajan
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2015

rahulrajan , Apr 15, 2015 :
    Definitely you can, however, I ran out of patience and manually flashed it.

I whatsoever have no issues with Cyanogen OS 12.

5. i5xswipe

You can, if you have a stock phone. This is for all those too impatient and blowing up the forums that they have not received the OTA. That their region or serial number hasn't seen the update. The update is released in a Staged or Staggered release, not ALL-AT-ONCE.

It shouldn't take more then a week to be distributed to everyone. I think most will have the OTA in the next 72 hours.

iuniverse99, Vivek24, mevicks and 2 others like this.
  6. CMYK
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2015

CMYK , Apr 15, 2015 :
    I wanted to wait too but I ended up manually doing it a few hours ago.

Works fine! but if you want to be play it safe, you can wait for OTA!

i5xswipe likes this.
  7. 625897
    Gingerbread Apr 15, 2015

8. vmekaiten
    Froyo Apr 15, 2015

vmekaiten , Apr 15, 2015 :
    i'm not sure what is a stock phone, i got my OPO 2 weeks ago... :p i guess that's good enough

aconde and i5xswipe like this.
  9. i5xswipe

10. jonkeee
    Froyo Apr 15, 2015

jonkeee , Apr 15, 2015 :
    I'm amazed how long it took for me to find something like this very easy and much appreciated guide. Thanks @i5xswipe .

Everyone seems to be doing things with this phone that are way beyond me.

11. i5xswipe

I just created it 30 minutes ago. I was amazed no one had created a GUIDE for all the new or timid users of using recovery or "flashing."

You will find it very easy after doing this, and it will help you to gain access to critical features of your phone in the future if you need to address issues, or you feel like experimenting with other ROMs.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

12. rahulrajan
    Honeycomb Apr 15, 2015

rahulrajan , Apr 15, 2015 :
    If you haven't unlocked, rooted your phone, installed custom recovery(TWRP or CWM) or installed a custom ROM, then your phone is running on Stock rom i.e. Cyanogen11s.

gobsheen likes this.
  13. vanj44
    Donut Apr 15, 2015

vanj44 , Apr 15, 2015 :
    Why is this way so simple? Is this any different from what others are doing? (I am a noob)

cmarioescobar and robotson like this.
  14. jakiah
    Froyo Apr 15, 2015

jakiah , Apr 15, 2015 :
    I'd still recommend that you wipe the cache after you apply the update.

MartinCB, webdevgirl and boggogo like this.
  15. Hiraeth

i5xswipe likes this.
  16. i5xswipe

Some are coming from custom recoveries, ROMs, rooted (super user) or prefer to do the update tethered through ADB using command line. There many advance things some users are doing, which require advance techniques to revert or go back to stock signed builds.

17. shyco
    Cupcake Apr 15, 2015

shyco , Apr 15, 2015 :
    Thanx man, works fine for me, it was so easy just like you said. Very new to android here and Can't wait for OTA.

uttaran and i5xswipe like this.
  18. i5xswipe

I'm glad you found it easy and you are up and running Cyanogen OS 12! Flashing an OTA is easy and painless with minimal requirements!

19. jits1988
    Froyo Apr 15, 2015

jits1988 , Apr 15, 2015 :
    This doesn't work if the device is encrypted. It says "E: failed to mount".. Any workaround..?

20. okay_bye

okay_bye , Apr 15, 2015 :
    what OTA? o_O

davidpohe likes this.