[Guide] OTA Manual Install - Easy

1. i5xswipe
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 15, 2015

i5xswipe , Apr 15, 2015 :
    I still do not understand your dilemma. If you downloaded the file, but did not install it, yes you will still receive this OTA. If you installed this OTA manually, then no you will not receive this OTA, you are up-to-date. You will then receive all future OTA updates beyond this one. You are free to delete the OTA zip after manually updating, or if you decide not to manually update but have the file on your phone. It is just taking up 1/2 GB of data.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

Linanc7 likes this.
  2. Wadesauce
    Eclair Apr 15, 2015

Wadesauce , Apr 15, 2015 :
    I have rooted and flashed devices before but would prefer to keep mine stock. Also I have an assload of music on my OPO and don't want to be bothered copying it back over.

Question: is just doing the OTA with no wipe going to result in performance issues? I've been trolling the threads and a full wipe seems to be recommended by a lot of people :S

3. Linanc7
    Lollipop Apr 15, 2015

Linanc7 , Apr 15, 2015 :
    Thank you for the reply, I downloaded but did not install. Good to know that I will still get the OTA.

4. i5xswipe

I have not noticed any ill effects. This has been a surprisingly well developed OTA. No bugs other then an initial "Messenger error" and "Google Play Services needs to be updated." It has been rock solid, stable, and speedy, with no further updates. It boots and shuts down quick, after the initial install!

Install it dirty, if you feel like you are not getting the performance you would like then feel free to factory reset after.

Keep in mind, Android made significant improvements in Android backup and allows you to fully configure the phone via backup with Android 5. A really nice feature!

Wadesauce likes this.
  5. RandomAlec
    Froyo Apr 15, 2015

RandomAlec , Apr 15, 2015 :
    Ok, I'm on XNPH05Q, I'm rooted, and I don't want to lose anything when I update to 12S...
    1. Are you telling people that are rooted not to use this guide because they may lose root or are there other reasons?

2. This will allow me to receive future updates that may be pushed to the phone, as normal, right?

6. Lobogris
    Froyo Apr 15, 2015

Lobogris , Apr 15, 2015 :
    Thank you for this excellent guide. I understand that photos, contacts and data remain intact. Do all your installed apps also remain?

7. hunts41
    Cupcake Apr 15, 2015

8. i5xswipe

I have opted not to root my OPO, as I did with past devices to install. CyanogenMod(looking at you HTC EVO and HP Touchpad). TWRP was brand new back in those days!

For this reason, I have no knowledge of current rooting procedures, or how they effect flashing back to stock ROMS. I cannot support you or recommend this guide for you as I do not know what will happen.

This guide is intended for the vast majority of OPO users whom have not rooted and are using stock Cyanogenmod 11S. It is meant to be very simple for those users. There are more detailed guides for users running rooted or custom recoveries!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

9. i5xswipe

Yes, everything! The only thing I noted was removed, was "Email" which I used for my work exchange email. This app was replaced with the new "Email" aka Boxer. One user in this thread has reported that SwiftKey was not in this OTA, I believe they may have done a wipe removing it? This is the only report of missing Swiftkey. I believe that can be found on page 2.

I still retain all my configuration/app/keyboards/etc.

Lobogris likes this.
  10. ashley27
    Froyo Apr 15, 2015

ashley27 , Apr 15, 2015 :
    Carl Pei tweeted before:

The OTA is staged, meaning it will be gradually rolled out over the next few days. It's random, and geography plays no role in priority.

11. oxidizer
    Cupcake Apr 15, 2015

oxidizer , Apr 15, 2015 :
    I followed your steps and it worked without any problems. Thank you very much!

12. Lobogris
    Froyo Apr 15, 2015

Lobogris , Apr 15, 2015 :
    Thank you. If one wants to go back to say 44s later, can one then install twrp and make back up and flash cm11? Would one's apps and data be then ported over or should one make the back up before upgrading to cm12?

13. RandomAlec
    Froyo Apr 15, 2015

RandomAlec , Apr 15, 2015 :
    Thank you for your prompt and detailed reply, I will follow your guide and any issues I will blame myself for haha. ;)

i5xswipe likes this.
  14. jaggafoxy
    Eclair Apr 15, 2015

jaggafoxy , Apr 15, 2015 :
    This is exactly what I did about 5 minutes before I saw this thread. The instructions in the recovery are exactly the same, although I moved the .zip to the root of the /0 directory just to make it easier to find. It does work really well, much more RAM efficient

15. ERock62
    Gingerbread Apr 15, 2015

16. i5xswipe

I personally moved it to root directory as well, when I did the install, which is why I cropped that image! But for the average user, I figured the Downloads directory was the easiest means, with the least amount of instructions necessary.

jaggafoxy likes this.
  17. The Gardener
    Cupcake Apr 15, 2015

The Gardener , Apr 15, 2015 :
    Thank you, worked perfectly, OTA never came, I have a phone that is 5 days old, so I would be one of ones that get it last. Rom looks amazing and somewhat restores my faith in that android can be usable. After 4 years on Galaxy shits, thank god.

i5xswipe likes this.
  18. iostergaard
    Cupcake Apr 15, 2015

19. dennism_b
    Cupcake Apr 15, 2015

i5xswipe likes this.
  20. i5xswipe

To the best of my knowledge, contrary to popular belief the OTA for Cyanogen does NOT roll out via region or SN/manufacture date.

It is random and based on a random device ID number assigned, this is the same for standard Android OTA on Nexus. Which is why people erase critical files, trying to get a new id to trick the OTA to come sooner.

Android updates this way, to first check for OTA issues, then to prevent slamming the servers creating essentially a DDOS attack on their own servers, limiting simultaneous downloads offers a better download speed and user experience.

It is just a painful experience if you are watching the clock, knowing the update exists and you are not getting it first!

The Gardener likes this.