[Guide] [Tasker] (Easy) Fixing Auto-Brightness in Low Light

1. pure.by
    Gingerbread Jan 10, 2016

pure.by , Jan 10, 2016 :
    Hello friends!

Many people on the forum report sudden brightness changes and/or brightness stuttering when using auto-brightness in dark environments, especially those with a single light source.
    The solution to the problem is to switch auto-brightness off, but that's an annoying thing to do because you have to go all the way through settings at least couple of times a day.

Quick tip: add Auto-Rotation Tile to QuickSettings (in Notifications). Tapping on it's text — either 'Portrait' or 'Auto-rotate' — will take you straight to Display Settings ;-)

I found an easy fix to this problem which requires some basic understanding of Tasker. For that I refer you to it's own website and help manuals (always accessible through Tasker app menu on practically any page). I’d be happy to assist if you run into any problems though :)

So without further adieu, let’s get started!
    1. First of all you need to install Tasker Twilight plugin. It’s necessarily for acquiring sunrise and sunset times in your area. Don’t worry, it’s just a little handy plugin that uses virtually no CPU or battery.

2. In Tasker, create a new State-based Profile.
      1. Select Plugin > Twilight as condition
      2. Tap on the (configuration) pencil in the top right corner, and configure Twilight plugin as following:
        - To: 0 minutes [after] [sunrise] *
      3. Save and go back to Tasker main screen.
    3. You will now automatically be prompted to create a new Task. Skip naming it and click [+] at the bottom of next page to add an action.
      1. In Filter field, type in: "brightness" and select Auto Brightness.
        1. Set: Off
      2. Save and go back to Task Edit.
    4. This step is optional but will make sure screen never blinds you by bright flashes when brightness changes.
      Click [+] at the bottom of the page to add a second action.
      1. In Filter field, type in: "brightness" and select Display Brightness.
        1. Level: 20 **
        2. Add If-condition by pressing [+] right next to it and set it to the following values:
          %BRIGHT [>] 20 **
      2. Save and go back to Tasker main screen.
    5. We are now going to add an Exit Task to turn auto brightness back on in the morning. Long-press on your freshly-made task, and select Add Exit Task. Since the procedure is exactly the same as above, will not do it step-by-step but instead give you just the values:
      1. add Display Brightness action and set it to Level 20 **
      2. add Auto Brightness action and set to: On.
      3. Save and go back to Tasker main screen.
    6. PROFIT!

I hope you have fun with this setup. Depending on your phone usage, sleep cycle and surrounding ambient light conditions my solution might be of greater or lesser help. In my case, however, it solved all my brightness issues permanently.

Yes, I know that switching auto brightness off during the night is not as satisfying as properly working auto-brightness mode, but I've empirically come to the conclusion that light sensor on OP2 simply can't function right during night hours with all the electrical lights around. It does more harm than good, hence it's better switched off. An occasional brightness adjustment with the QS slider is still a good old-school exercise for your thumb ;-)

I'm a late sleeper so I've set this to: 59 minutes [after] [sunrise] to enjoy the darker screen a little longer in the morning. The choice is yours!

** - This number value will determine how dark your screen will get the moment AutoBrightness gets shut down (slightly before the sunset). As you may know, I like my screen dark so I use value "10" and value "20" for this review, but you can of course adjust it to any value you prefer your screen at in a dark room.

kageroh and GhostSamuraiX like this.
  2. akashboghani
    Gingerbread Feb 1, 2016

akashboghani , Feb 1, 2016 :
    Hi, I wanted to make a Tasker profile that turns on the dark mode of the Oneplus 2 based on the time of the day. Is this possible and how? Which task option should I choose?

3. pure.by
    Gingerbread Feb 1, 2016

pure.by , Feb 1, 2016 :
    Hi, what do you mean by "dark mode"? Inverted colors or just low brightness?

4. kageroh
    Eclair Feb 5, 2016

5. pure.by
    Gingerbread Feb 6, 2016

pure.by , Feb 6, 2016 :
    Ah, of course. There are many OOS-specific settings I'd love to toggle with Tasker and I've searched for a way to do that -- in vain.

The only way Tasker can interact with third party OS or apps is through sending Android intents. AFAICG*, OOS does not support those.

* As Far As I Could Google XD