[Guide] (Xposed framework) -what -how -why

1. thisguysayswht
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 19, 2014

thisguysayswht , May 19, 2014 :
    I decided to write this guide because I have seen a lot of requests for things like multi window support in this forum, and I've seen a lot of people who haven't heard of the Xposed framework, or it's Incredible power on android based OS. Feel free to ask any unanswered questions in the comments.

What is the Xposed framework?

The Xposed framework is a "hack" for rooted android phones. It allows the user to replace any JAR file in the system. It can also replace any method in any class. Basically, what this translates to for the end user is that you can change the code of any application, system or otherwise on boot. These changes are not permanent. These changes can be disabled by simply disabling the Xposed framework. This can be done by flashing the xposedisabler.zip that comes with the framework mod, through your custom recovery (although its not necessary to have a custom recovery with the Xposed framework, it is highly recommend). You can also disable the Xposed framework by repeatedly pressing the power button while booting the device (v2.5 or above). The Xposed framework is a very powerful mod. The Xposed framework should only be used by an advanced user who is willing to experience/report/figure out bugs, by them selves. It is similar to the cydia substrate for iPhones, but infinity more powerful, and dangerous. The Xposed framework hooks methods on a much lower level than the cydia substrate, this creates greater opportunity for code mishaps, and also more powerful/useful modifications.

How do I install the Xposed framework?

Installing the Xposed framework is quite straight forward. First you must root your android device. For more information about root, and custom android software in general, I recommend you read my guide on custom android software...

http://forums.oneplus.net/threads/guide-beginners-guide-root-roms-recoveries-kernels.11092/

Then you need to install the Xposed framework, this is done by first downloading the Xposed framework application. Then, after downloading the Xposed framework application, you can install the framework directly, then reboot the device. You can also create a flashable.zip that can be flashed via a custom recovery. Make sure you drop rovo89 a thanks, or donation while your over there...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/framework-xposed-rom-modding-modifying-t1574401

Why do I want to install the Xposed framework?

There a ton of reasons to install the Xposed framework. If there is not "an app for it", then there's probably a Xposed framework module for it. This includes, but is not limited to, multi window support, changing the color of virtually everything, lock screen shortcuts, navigation ring shortcuts, lock screen notifications, sound packs, themes, app bars, data traffic monitors, battery bar mods, custom status bar shortcuts/backgrounds, custom system animations, system wide gestures, per application immersive mode, per application fonts, per application names/icons (system wide), per application tablet/phablet/phone UI, per application DPI/font size/status bar color, etc. If you have ever seen a feature in a custom ROM, then it has probably been ported to the Xposed framework (or it will be shortly;)).

What should I know before installing such a powerful "hack"?

First, and for most, the Xposed framework will not perform the same on every device. The more your manufacturer/cellular provider has modified your interface (looking at you touchwiz/sence/lg devices), the more futures will not work for you. There is even mods made specifically for different android operating systems, since they're so far from AOSP, that the base AOSP code won't work. Even "custom ROM's" based off AOSP, will interfere with the Xposed framework (if they are trying to hook the same api). For example xhalofloatingwindow, will not work well (Or at all), with Samsung device's that have a multi window mod of their own (stock touch wiz). Xhalofloatingwindow will also conflict with omni ROM's multi window, since they're targeting the same code (although there's workarounds for both, this is not true for all Xposed mods). Xposed framework mods can also interfere with each other. One of the classic examples is gravity box, and Xblast tools. They both share a lot the same features, and tons of there own unique features, but since they both share some features, those shared features will interfere with each other. For example, notification background images. Both xblast, and gravity box, have this, and they can interfere with each other by targeting the same code. Sometimes when you boot your device it will be the gravity box image, and sometimes it will be the xblast image. You not "supposed" to use multiple "all in one mods" (like Xblast, and gravity box), but it is possible (if your willing to figure out you own problems... just don't expect any support form the developers of those mods. The first question they will ask you is, what ROM are you using, and what other Xposed modules are you using). I personality use like 35 Xposed framework mods, at least 5 of them being "all in one mods", but I figure out my own problems. If your planning on running multiple Xposed framework mods, I suggest you dedicate a weekend (or more) to it.

Some Xposed framework mods, and what they do...

Xblast tools (my absolute favorite)-

This module will allow you to change the color of just about anything. It also includes lock screen notifications/appbars, and a plethora of other features. You will get lost in there, I promise.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/mod-xblasttools-iconcolors-centerclock-t2294419

Gravity box-

This will grant you lock screen/navigation bar shortcuts, pie controls, min brightness levels, immersive mode switches, navigation bar setting shortcuts, and much more... (It should be pointed out that gravity box has 2 different mods, one for JB and one for KK). Here's the JB module.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/app-gravitybox-v2-9-1-tweak-box-android-t2316070

Xuimod-

Xuimod grants the user full control of system animations. It also has custom status bar clock mods, and battery bar mods.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/mod-xuimod-v2-0-1-listview-anim-t2477558

Xhalofloatingwindow-

This module pretty much explains itself, it allows you to run applications in a "windows" style window. This includes running any application in a window, fully resizing windows, "aero snap" from windows, and application "slider bars" from Samsung's multi window mods. You have to try it to believe it. It in and of it's self is a good reason to install the Xposed framework.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/mod-xhalofloatingwindow-beta2-16-t2419287

One handed mode for all devices-

This basically takes your entire UI and shrinks it down to a usable size. This includes your status bar, and application settings bar. It is customizable to whatever area your hand usually rests.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/mod-one-handed-mode-devices-t2735815

There's a ton more, and you will just have to check it out. Have fun :)

Last edited: May 20, 2014

2. thisguysayswht

3. Nasty_Z
    Froyo May 19, 2014

thisguysayswht likes this.
  4. JasonGrant
    Gingerbread May 19, 2014

JasonGrant , May 19, 2014 :
    I'm surprised the windowed mode isn't already more available in larger flagship phones, I know the Note does a bit of it but that is all Ive seen so far

Nasty_Z and thisguysayswht like this.
  5. jimbalny
    Donut May 19, 2014

jimbalny , May 19, 2014 :
    gnarley.. what sort of effect, if any, do these hooks have on performance in general?

6. c4chilli

c4chilli , May 19, 2014 :
    Thanks Bud!
    Have used some of this stuff before with different custom ROMs I've flashed.
    Excellent work :)

7. Nasty_Z
    Froyo May 19, 2014

Nasty_Z , May 19, 2014 :
    I agree here. I'm surprised myself. The feature is excellent and provides much needed functionality especially on larger screens. But then it isn't as easy to use as the Note's or the Galaxy series' multiwindow feature

Last edited: May 19, 2014

thisguysayswht and JasonGrant like this.
  8. laryd2000

9. Alam

Deepak and thisguysayswht like this.
  10. thisguysayswht

Mostly boot performance, my nexus 7 used to boot in under 30 seconds, nowadays it takes about 120 seconds. It all depends on how many, and how heavy you mods are. I haven't experienced any noticeable ui slow downs through even with 35 mods running constantly. There pretty light weight, but have to be loaded on boot, so they kill boot times.

11. Nasty_Z
    Froyo May 19, 2014

Nasty_Z , May 19, 2014 :
    I've read on xda that with GravityBox installed the performance reduces. I installed it myself but honestly I don't see too much of a difference. With all the features, I don't think you can actually complain ;)

12. thisguysayswht

Alam likes this.
  13. Adam Krisko
    NA Community Consultant Staff Member May 19, 2014

Hanzalah and thisguysayswht like this.
  14. Deciare
    Honeycomb May 19, 2014

Deciare , May 19, 2014 :
    I had no idea there was a mod for floating windows. I will definitely be checking this out.

15. DITCHFORD
    Gingerbread May 19, 2014

kimcerra and thisguysayswht like this.
  16. thisguysayswht

I'm glad you liked it :)

Its epic, I honestly couldn't believe it till I tried it, I about craped my pants the first time it worked :p Xhalofloatingwindow is a truly amazing module.

Adam Krisko likes this.
  17. thisguysayswht

I'd like to point out that in the last few updates, xhalofloatingwindow has actually incorporated the Samsung multi window slider/shortcuts (like I might even guess that he straight jacked the code :rolleyes:). It has become much more usable in the last 4-5 updates...

Nasty_Z likes this.
  18. hunter1122
    Gingerbread May 19, 2014

hunter1122 , May 19, 2014 :
    Great Post!
    I've read Xposed framework before but never really realized how awesome this is!

Thank you!

19. projekt1
    Froyo May 19, 2014

20. davecgc
    Honeycomb May 25, 2014

21. jdk2
    Honeycomb May 25, 2014