Guys there's moisture on my front cam and its not going away. via OnePlus Community App

1. VivekPalat , via OnePlus Community App , Aug 8, 2020 :
    Guys somehow moisture got into my phone and after placing it in uncooked rice for 1 day,the moisture on the back camera disappeared but the moisture on the front cam stays the same(actually worsened as there was no moisture on the front cam first only at the back and gradually both cams got fogged.)What should i do to remove this?and i cant go to a service center since its too far away from my place.Will a repairing this phone at a regular shop help?My phone's under warrant and I'm using a Oneplus 8 . e 1596906593948.jpg

1596906593573.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020

2. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop Aug 8, 2020

Swejuggalo , Aug 8, 2020 :
    Redo the drying for a longer time. Easy way in. Harder to get out.
    Moisture and water damage is not covered by warranty. This usually ends up with repair costs for the owner. Even most if not all IP rated phones does not have warranty on water damage.

keithnyc, VivekPalat and YRJ like this.
  3. VivekPalat , via OnePlus Community App , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Its still the same,looks even worse now.
    1596974746841.jpg

4. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Aug 9, 2020

YRJ , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Speaking from personal experience, I would suggest you give it sometime. It usually goes away. Also, if you have a spare device then you can let this sit in rice for longer, it helps a lot.

All the best!

VivekPalat likes this.
  5. VivekPalat , via OnePlus Community App , Aug 9, 2020 :
    If i place it in rice for longer periods it will go away right?Im not sure if i need to send it to service center via pickup and drop or not.

First day the moisture was only on the back camera so i placed it in uncooked rice in an airtight box for 5 hours or so and i checked it and at that time moisture was gone but i placed it in the rice for another 8 hours and after taking it out and by charging it for around 30 minutes the moisture was back on the back camera and this time it reached the front camera too.I switched the phone off and placed it in rice for a whole day and after taking it off back camera was free from moisture but front camera was still the same.The phone is still usable and has no other problems.
    Is this normal? and should i wait another 2 days before sending it to the service center?

6. keithnyc
    Marshmallow Moderator Aug 9, 2020

keithnyc , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Mate, I dropped my OP2 in water and immediately placed it in time for 1 week. It was a miracle it survived.... Anywho, you need to keep it in there for a few days and rotate camera around a bit so the moisture finds a path back out... Please be patient...it should work. As @Swejuggalo noted, once moisture gets in, it takes time to get back out.

YRJ and VivekPalat like this.
  7. VivekPalat , via OnePlus Community App , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Okay, I'm going to cancel the pickup request and place mine in rice for around a week.

8. YRJ

YRJ , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Placing it in rice definitely helps but I'm not sure how long it would take for the fogging to completely vanish. However, I would advice against sending it for repair as this would be considered as water damage and it will void your warranty.

I would say, wait for it to dry up and let it sit in rice until that happens.

VivekPalat and keithnyc like this.
  9. keithnyc
    Marshmallow Moderator Aug 9, 2020

keithnyc , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Good idea..as @YRJ noted, there's no definitive answer how long it will take, but it got in somehow, so it will eventually dry up. And burying it in rice in a tightly closed jar should work. You can do this each night when you are done with the phone, but ideally if it remains for a few days undisturbed, it should work.
    Just curious, how did the moisture get into the phone?

VivekPalat and YRJ like this.
  10. YRJ

YRJ , Aug 9, 2020 :
    I think it's best if the phone is switched off until it's completely moisture free. God forbid but if the moisture comes in contact with internal components while in use, the device would turn into a brick.

As you said, leaving it undisturbed (in a switched off state) is ideal.

VivekPalat and keithnyc like this.
  11. VivekPalat , via OnePlus Community App , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Im not entirely sure of how it got in but it maybe because i wiped it with a water soaked cloth.

keithnyc likes this.
  12. Matt 80
    Lollipop Aug 9, 2020

Matt 80 , Aug 9, 2020 :
    It's claimed that leaving a phone in kitty litter works better than uncooked rice for removing moisture.

VivekPalat likes this.
  13. Rio19052
    Donut Aug 9, 2020

VivekPalat likes this.

15. Rio19052
    Donut Aug 9, 2020

Rio19052 , via OnePlus 8 , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Just get it hot from that spot, keep the phone off and don't do it for very long

17. Rio19052
    Donut Aug 9, 2020

18. Matt 80
    Lollipop Aug 9, 2020

Matt 80 , Aug 9, 2020 :
    I personally wouldn't try that, by heating up the moisture it will vaporize and potentially spread to other parts of the phone.

VivekPalat likes this.
  19. VivekPalat , via OnePlus Community App , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Okay,then I'm not gonna try that.

20. Matt 80
    Lollipop Aug 9, 2020

Matt 80 , Aug 9, 2020 :
    You want the moisture to be absorbed out of the phone, your best option would be to stick with the uncooked rice trick.

VivekPalat likes this.