Handling The One (opinions please!)

1. janguv
    Honeycomb Aug 28, 2014

janguv , Aug 28, 2014 :
    Hi there. I would like to know from all you One owners how you find the phone handles? Specifically, what's it like in one hand? The primary task I imagine which is difficult, due to the height, is pulling down from the top of the screen (which is a pretty frequent action to perform on Android).

So, how is that for you? Do you have to really stretch? Or shimmy your hand in some way? What are your hands like, if you can/can't handle it so well?

I have average hands (average sizes are there) and I made a test copy of the phone to its real dimensions, apart from weight, like so:

[​IMG]

It doesn't look too big in the hand, but trying to swipe from the top was impossible. I want to determine whether that is just because this is cardboard, and the weightier real thing makes it easier.

Thanks in advance for letting me know how you've got on with it :)

2. davidleetx44
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2014

3. Mihail_Ko
    Jelly Bean Aug 28, 2014

4. aznalan15
    Honeycomb Aug 28, 2014

aznalan15 , Aug 28, 2014 :
    ^ dont hate, i love the ingenuity

5. aznalan15
    Honeycomb Aug 28, 2014

aznalan15 , Aug 28, 2014 :
    To answer your question it should be fine, I have average hands dont have a problem.

janguv likes this.
  6. kaylacake
    Eclair Aug 28, 2014

francismakokha and janguv like this.
  7. sergioangel
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2014

sergioangel , Aug 28, 2014 :
    I have big hands and sometimes it's a little difficult to handle with one hand, I am feeling unsecure, in my opinion the best way is handling with two hands. Sometimes I can handle it with one, but it's really difficult, I used to get the Galaxy S3, and it's a difference between both.

janguv likes this.
  8. janguv
    Honeycomb Aug 28, 2014

janguv , Aug 28, 2014 :
    Haha, well I'm definitely avoiding doing more important stuff. But actually is a big decision. Not a small amount of money for me to spend so I want to be sure, and I thought it'd give me a good feel for the size.

Damn! They are slightly above average. I've heard some women with averaged size hands for women can use the phone though, so I guess it's not so bad.

Haha, thanks! I think it's a good attempt :)

Yep! Not a small decision for me haha.

Pedro_Paiva and Mihail_Ko like this.
  9. Silvan
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2014

Silvan , Aug 28, 2014 :
    I did the same thing with the paper to check if i can get to the screen with one hand =]

janguv likes this.
  10. sergioangel
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2014

janguv likes this.
  11. Iseek1
    KitKat Aug 28, 2014

Iseek1 , Aug 28, 2014 :
    Well, I have bigger hands and I have no problem doing anything on / with this phone with one hand, my previous phones were G Note 2 and G Note 3 and likewise one handed operation was / is not a problem.
    I am keeping my G Note 3 and my OPO simply because they are both AMAZING DEVICES!!!!

janguv likes this.
  12. chongswee
    Jelly Bean Aug 28, 2014

chongswee , Aug 28, 2014 :
    Once you got it, you'll know:)
    I don't like big screen phone previously, but this is market trend right now.

janguv likes this.
  13. janguv
    Honeycomb Aug 28, 2014

janguv , Aug 28, 2014 :
    Haha, excellent. So I'm not completely bonkers then. Did it come out well? (i.e., you could handle one handed?)

That's what I've been hearing. Good advice.

Yeah, very similar spec to the Note 3. But then, that has a stylus which really makes it clear it's a big ol' phone!

It certainly is a trend :)

chongswee likes this.
  14. sisi
    Honeycomb Aug 28, 2014

sisi , Aug 28, 2014 :
    What are you using now? In my experience using a bigger screen phones it just takes getting used to...but if your jumping from a 4 inch to 5.5 its gonna take some getting used to and you may not like it at first...feels awkward handling and seriously not carry it around until you've gotta used to handling it. I had a nexus 5 before and I love my new One.

15. Fetterfly
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2014

Fetterfly , Aug 28, 2014 :
    My carnie-like hands can cradle it's larger dimensions nicely whilst I curl up and read an article or two.

janguv likes this.
  16. Silvan
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2014

Silvan , Aug 28, 2014 :
    Yeah fortunately i have big enough hands =]
    I also had some metal plates which I joined together with scotch tape to see how it would fit to my pocket so i guess i am more bonkers than You :p

janguv likes this.
  17. janguv
    Honeycomb Aug 28, 2014

janguv , Aug 28, 2014 :
    I'm coming from a Nexus 4, which is a 4.3" screen, and it looks positively dainty next to the One ...

Nexus 5 would be the other option, especially if the price of the 32 GB version came down in price. If OPO was a 5.2" I think it would be a no-brainer for me.

18. janguv
    Honeycomb Aug 28, 2014

janguv , Aug 28, 2014 :
    Excellent work.

19. corvete001
    Gingerbread Aug 29, 2014

corvete001 , Aug 29, 2014 :
    Boy with putting that much work into trying to see how it fits your hand you need an invite. I have to say if I had one you would get it. I also have an Iphone 5s and I never thought I would like a 5.5" phone but to tell the truth I like the size better than the Iphone. It hasn't been a problem at all.

TigerXC and janguv like this.
  20. sisi
    Honeycomb Aug 29, 2014

sisi , Aug 29, 2014 :
    I had a moto x for a couple weeks on a promotional thing and its a beautiful phone that is exceptionally user friendly, not trying to dissuade you of the OnePlus One of course! And that new sharp phone looks pretty nifty too... Just saying...good luck

janguv likes this.