Happy World Television Day. What and where are you watching?

1. Cheetosdust
    Moderator, Content Coordinator Moderator Nov 21, 2021

Cheetosdust , Nov 21, 2021 :
    World Television Day!.png (Banner: @YRJ)

Television is everywhere and nowhere. Long gone are the days of sitting in front of an aquarium-shaped window to the world. Younger members of society are moving more and more to an on-demand way of consuming their moving pictures. It is all and it is now.

Today, November 21st, we are celebrating World Television Day, an occasion to recognize, more than just entertainment, how television is instrumental to present the different issues affecting people.

It’s true that we watched the moon landing in a rectangle of transistors and capacitors, and some are seeing the SpaceX galactic adventures in the palm of their hands, but it’s undeniable that through its iterations, television continues to be a key-part of a well-informed audience.

To celebrate this day here in the Community, this thread is for you to ramble about your memories of television, centering the conversation in a trio of discussion points:
    • What TV model are you currently using?
    • What are you playing on that hardware at the moment?
    • Is TV still relevant in your household or have you moved on?
    You can, naturally, expand your musings and memories with the role TV had while you were growing up, but I would love it if we could make this a place to discover interesting models, while exchanging opinions in the process; and also to collectively discover what are the shows of the moment.

The first TV we had here at home didn’t have a remote control. And the number of channels available was a grand total of two. I remember the summers when insomnia took over my teenage nights, the comforting feeling of falling asleep with my brain amused by the 3 AM telesales. For me, TV is a better appreciation of online readiness.

If you don’t have any relation with television as a kit of hardware, please share that below as well. Your opinion is as important as the member who was alive closer to 1927, the year when Philo Taylor Farnsworth, then a 21-year-old, invented the magical box.

Happy World Television Day, may you forever be the starting point of entertained minds. May you, even if in the shape of your digital iteration, be the beginning, middle and end of informed minds. Truth as a puzzle, all the pieces a channel away.

2. suhantm
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 21, 2021

suhantm , Nov 21, 2021 :
    Lovely thread to celebrate probably the largest piece of tech in everyone's home!

To answer your questions:
      OnePlus U1S (50 inch)

Right now I'm watching this masterpiece!

But usually I watch YouTube videos, Netflix stuff or F1 on it
    • Is TV still relevant in your household or have you moved on?
      Definitely still relevant! I have a phone with a 6 inch screen, laptop with a 14 inch screen, so having a 50 inch TV is definitely welcome for high quality content!

Content Recommendations: (Will share a few things sooon!)

3. BeingIncog
    Nougat Nov 21, 2021

BeingIncog , Nov 21, 2021 :
    well watching cartoons on TV was my favorite thing to do, now i don't don't watch TV at all... :)

4. Eternals
    Froyo Nov 21, 2021

5. Immi007
    Gingerbread Nov 21, 2021

6. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean Nov 21, 2021

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus Community App , Nov 21, 2021 :
    Current T.V I'm using : Lg 32 inch LED T.V
    What's I'm watching: nothing
    Is T.V relevant in my family: No as i watch my content on tablet or smartphone and my bro sticks to his laptop and my mother currently in hospital so she doesn't watch her favourite t.v serial and my father isn't fond of T.V he only reads newspaper!

sdhayalan, Tower-1., YRJ and 3 others like this.
  7. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Nov 21, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Nov 21, 2021 :
    Right now, I'm on the OnePlus TV 65U1S
    Currently I'm watching the 3rd episode of Bad Boy Billionaires- India
    Trailer of the 3rd episode -

Netflix link to the series -
    https://www.netflix.com/in/title/80990073?preventIntent=true

A smart TV has now become a fireplace for a modern and connected family...while TVs have changed a lot over the past few years, the main issue still remains, portability and a really high Boot time and response time compared to smartphones.
    The OnePlus 55Q1 for example, has much more advanced specs and capabilities than the 65U1S, but I still like the 65U1S due to its bigger size and practically not much difference in terms of viewing experience....
    I'm sure AV experts like @Venky61 may disagree, but it is what it is...

To sum up, I think that the relevance of a TV in a house hasn't been completely wiped yet, and I guess it will be like this for the next 4-5 years for most of India.

8. Rajnish_Dhull

Rajnish_Dhull , via OnePlus Nord Blue Marble , Nov 21, 2021 :
    Currently its a Panasonic shinobi. And with rhat airtel Android tv.

But best memories are with the Sansui Flat screen TV, way be in 2002-03. I used to play mario, contra, cricket, wwf and what not with the console.

9. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Nov 21, 2021

the_o2 , Nov 21, 2021 :
    Moved a long time ago :sweatsmile::)

10. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Nov 21, 2021

Starcommander , Nov 21, 2021 :
    Samsung QLED Q series 43 inch TV
    4k HDR content. I purchased it after my final exam of my graduation was over. Binge watched most of the Netflix shows before starting with Job.
    TV is lifeline of my family.

11. haildarkseid
    Gingerbread Nov 21, 2021

Cheetosdust likes this.
  12. SRD.
    Lollipop Nov 21, 2021

SRD. , Nov 21, 2021 :
    This 😉. I know many don't like cricket. But I am among those many who likes it.
    1637504894992.jpg

13. Ankit Bhaurah
    Honeycomb Nov 21, 2021

Ankit Bhaurah , Nov 21, 2021 :
    Nowadays Majority of people did not Watch television. Instead of TV people are spending their time on Smartphones and PCs and so am I.

YRJ, Cheetosdust and haildarkseid like this.
  14. Eternals
    Froyo Nov 21, 2021

SRD., Cheetosdust and haildarkseid like this.
  15. ShreyasPatil_
    Jelly Bean Nov 21, 2021

16. RacerZ
    KitKat Nov 21, 2021

RacerZ , Nov 21, 2021 :
    I remember as a kid, we had a console TV that used vacuum tubes. You would turn on the TV and have to wait about 30 minutes for it to warm up before you could watch any programs.

The tubes didn't last forever and would eventually wear out. I remember my dad opening the back of the TV set and pulling out all the tubes. We would go to the local electronics store where they had a tube tester. He would test each tube until he found the one that was bad and needed replacing.

During those days, shows were back and white. Around the mid-sixties, shows began using color. The color info was interwoven with the black and white signal. So if you only had a black and white set, you could still watch the show, albeit in black and white. I remember shows like "Gilligan's Island", "Bewitched", "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", and "Lost In Space" switching to color during their runs.

Today, I have a 50" 4K Samsung flat-screen TV. TV is mostly only relevant to me and my wife. My kids watch streaming content on their phones or laptops. When it comes to streaming movies, I have a 4K BenQ projector mounted in my living room with a 150" projection screen.

17. Overzee
    Junior Moderator, The Showcase Reviewer Junior Moderator Nov 21, 2021

Overzee , Nov 21, 2021 :
    My current TV model is a Sony Bravia FullHD LCD (KDL-40EX501), I have this model in the living room for over 10 years. Still waiting for OnePlus to release OnePlus TV in Europe before I replace the (perfectly working) Sony for another make and model.
    I use my Mede8er media player for the playback of content (NFS protocol to stream from NAS to the media player), since the TV has very limited smart functions. Just started watching The Wheel of Time.
    Yes, still relevant. But it's mostly streaming, barely watch 'old-fashioned' TV.

18. iamRavitheja
    Froyo Nov 21, 2021

iamRavitheja , Nov 21, 2021 :
    Oneplus 43Y_series
    Right now it's Bigg Boss Telugu Season 5. Mostly Hotstar/youtube shows
    • Is TV still relevant in your household or have you moved on ?
    Yes min of 9hrs per day for sure we watch tv especially after upgrading to this Oneplus TV :)

Tower-1., YRJ, Navdeep_Malik and 2 others like this.
  19. Santhosh_Ravi

20. anuragtopno , via OnePlus Nord 2 Gray Sierra , Nov 21, 2021 :
    I have Samsung 3D led TV which is 9 yrs old...I ahve a busy life...so hardly get time to sit and watch...now my TV is mY OnePlus Nord 2 and i watch my favourite shows where ever i want... Currently watching "Crime Stories India Detectives" on Netflix.

YRJ, Cheetosdust and haildarkseid like this.