Hard Decision betweem S8+ and OP5T

1. Danny110
    Donut Dec 8, 2017

Danny110 , Dec 8, 2017 :
    Hi People, if you would have the chance, to get the OP5T and the S8+ Duos for same price, what would you choose and why ? thank you

tijmen234 and udit26 like this.
  2. Cheetosdust
    Community Consultant Staff Member Writers' Club Dec 8, 2017

Cheetosdust , Dec 8, 2017 :
    Hey,

I have both here, so I can answer this one. Obviously, it’s only my opinion and it really depends on what you prioritize on a phone.

The screen and the camera are indeed better on the S8+. I can tell you this based on pictures taken side by side, on the exactly same conditions.

The battery is good on the S8+ - note that this is the Plus model, not the regular one - but on the OnePlus 5T is phenomenal.

And the performance is also way better on the 5T. I have the 8GB model and my S8+ is the one with an Exynos, but the OnePlus is a lot snappier.

Have in mind that I didn’t bought the S8+ in April, but in July. And even with only five or six months, I can tell the difference. That’s not really a surprise, since my OP3 also performs really well, even now.

So there you go. If you really need to have the better screen or the better camera, the S8+ is the one. If you value performance, the 5T is way better.

Both are well built, but the Samsung feels more premium and also wins on the design department.

Hope this helps.

3. Y1512040508788
    Gingerbread Dec 8, 2017

Y1512040508788 , Dec 8, 2017 :
    choose oneplus 5t for lag free experience for lyf....regular updates...n good battery lyf...n dash chargin...
    if u r more into virtual reality den s8 is ur fone dat gorgeous 2k display...wireless chargin aint much of a deal breaker...coz u hve to keep it away from u on a table...cant use while charging...dont xpect problem addressin forums lyk dis though...aprrox two major o.s updates is ol u wil get basically...n it wil start to lag after some months...
    s8 beats oneplus 5t in outright design too...n its waterproof n stuff...so at same price its a tough call...
    choose acc to ur priority!!..
    camera though oneplus is laggin ryt now...but d hardware is very strong...best experience is jus an update away or two!!!...

tijmen234 likes this.
  4. sfomin
    Nougat Dec 8, 2017

5. Cheetosdust
    Community Consultant Staff Member Writers' Club Dec 8, 2017

Cheetosdust , Dec 8, 2017 :
    I’m not saying the S8 is a bad phone - it isn’t.

However, when honeymoon phase is over and you need your phone to a workhorse, you can see the Samsung fall behind.

Also OP, have in mind that the S8 has some features the 5T is missing, like wireless charging and expandable storage. It comes with 64GB of storage, but you aren’t stuck with that. The Dash Charge is faster than the Quick Charge, especially when you're using the phone.

And here’s another comparison:

My 5T is running Android 7.1.1 with the October’s Security patch.

The S8+ is Android 7.0 also with the October’s Security patch.

Both will eventually get Android Oreo.

chetanpanayala likes this.
  6. gubro
    KitKat Dec 8, 2017

7. SimonRam
    Lollipop Dec 8, 2017

SimonRam , Dec 8, 2017 :
    My Elephone S8 is working fine, almost as snappy as my +3 , 2k screen is great, 4000mah battery lasts well. Camera is ok.
    Happy days.

malidan likes this.
  8. ilovesoneplus
    Jelly Bean Dec 8, 2017

ilovesoneplus , Dec 8, 2017 :
    S8+ is top of the range phone & Op5t is midrange phone with lots of ram 2 mask the features it is missing..

9. Dikshit shetty
    Cupcake Dec 8, 2017

10. Q1511721187572
    Cupcake Dec 8, 2017

DJ Valente likes this.
  11. Radeon962
    KitKat Dec 8, 2017

Radeon962 , Dec 8, 2017 :
    At the same price it has to be the S8+. Camera, screen, waterproof, etc. Top tier flagship vs a step below.

malidan and sfomin like this.
  12. callmejohn32
    Froyo Dec 8, 2017

callmejohn32 , Dec 8, 2017 :
    Definitely S8+
    Even if you don't like it after, you can easily sell it and cover the cost of OP5T and make a little money.

13. malidan
    Nougat Dec 8, 2017

malidan , Dec 8, 2017 :
    I got a Note 8 for £14 more than a 128gb OP5T because it better, way better.
    No hype
    No software hacks
    No replica design
    No false claims
    No long list of missing top tier specs.

ilovesoneplus and sfomin like this.
  14. JayBl8de
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 8, 2017

JayBl8de , Dec 8, 2017 :
    Keep in mind that 5t was successfully tested still to run while 30 min in water tank. However don't use for swimming, but most likely when you drop your phone in the bathtub, you don't need Samsung device :)

15. JayBl8de

16. JayBl8de

JayBl8de , Dec 8, 2017 :
    Lucky you. Electronic prices in Germany are usually quite competitive. You can even tell local stores the online prices and get almost same price in local store, but over here note 8 is 800Eur.

If I would have got note8 for 520,I would have bought it :) but the only Samsung device getting close to OP5t price is regular s8 around 550 eur...

17. malidan
    Nougat Dec 8, 2017

malidan , Dec 8, 2017 :
    The thing with these tests is you do not see the condition of the phone and tiu don't know if it is edited
    Every teardown shows there are no waterproofing materials found on the 5T that are found in other devices.
    Every OP device to date has been waterproof until a real owners meets water and dies.

ilovesoneplus likes this.
  18. JayBl8de

JayBl8de , Dec 8, 2017 :
    I had the same thought just about the s8. I decided for the 5t...

- 10% cheaper
    - dual cam
    - Samsung glass body feels like plastic, I like the metal body
    - round display is easy to scratch because display protector is usually only sticky on even surface
    - everybody has s8 :)
    - speedy performance and no bloatware
    - 6" vs 5.8"

What I accepted because of 5t
    - only 2160* 1280 (doesn't matter as long you don't use VR
    - Better camera on s8 on regular pictures (but no dual lens based depth effect)
    - no SD card, but with 3t I never ran out of space with 64gb
    - no ip68, however 5t is tested successfully to withstand 30 min of water tank (good enough for me in case I drop it in pool by accident)

19. JayBl8de

JayBl8de , Dec 8, 2017 :
    True. That's why I said it's good enough to know (for me) that I can drop it by accident in bath tub and (most likely) it will survive :)

20. mrpacs
    Honeycomb Dec 8, 2017

mrpacs , Dec 8, 2017 :
    I'd still go for 5T even if they were the same price. 5T = 128GB internal storage, facial recognition, screen off gestures, performance, battery life. Warterproofing and wireless charging are the only features of the S8 that I REALLY want to see in an OP device.