Has the OP3T changed your opinion of OnePlus?

1. girishb86
    Honeycomb Nov 17, 2016

girishb86 , Nov 17, 2016 :
    How about the fact that the OP3 has been discontinued after being out for barely 6 months? How about the fact that third party development (a major selling point for any OP device) is going to be affected because of this? Even though OP may never admit it, the OP3 is going to take a backseat now that the OP3T is their main focus. OP has promised the same timelines for updating both phones but with different branches of source codes, how long do you think they'll be able to keep it up? If a fan of OP like me wouldn't feel even slightly worried about all these sudden changes, then I don't know who's supposed to.

2. rattles
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 17, 2016

rattles , Nov 17, 2016 :

honest question: why would you buy the OP3T now knowing full well that the next gen devices will be out in 5-6 months?

fgarcor and kylesweet like this.
  3. jemeljsh
    Eclair Nov 17, 2016

jemeljsh , Nov 17, 2016 :
    Very good point. I was thinking along the same lines and to have OP3 makes much more sense (especially considering that devs are more likely to support OP3 until next one (OP4) comes out), since at this point you know for sure that life span of OP3T is ~6 months.

rattles likes this.
  4. SimonRam
    Lollipop Nov 17, 2016

SimonRam , Nov 17, 2016 :
    Is that the op4t with the optical zoom front facing camera?

5. acrox999
    Gingerbread Nov 17, 2016

acrox999 , Nov 17, 2016 :
    Well, did you pay for any of it?

6. jak

jak , Nov 17, 2016 :
    No, but that's not the point. The point was how chaotic things are...

7. MarkLR
    Jelly Bean Nov 17, 2016

MarkLR , Nov 17, 2016 :
    Is there any source for the discontinuation of the op3? Anyway, you have a point actually. Now I'm worried too...

8. F_Michal_Doblej_dBkm

F_Michal_Doblej_dBkm , Nov 17, 2016 :
    Iam fairly pissed off that they released the 3T so early and when discontinued sales of OP3 in eu and US i feel being cheated by the company, the upgrade isnt a big deal but the fact that they dome something like this without letting know their customers about this plan is really dirty, money-getting practice of the company and totaly showing us that they are stooping the community/ customer friendly behavior from the past. I doubt that i will get any other phone from OP any time soon as iam not willing to support this kind of change

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016

9. girishb86
    Honeycomb Nov 17, 2016

girishb86 , Nov 17, 2016 :
    It's been officially discontinued in the US and UK. Just Google and you'll find multiple news about the same. I'm pretty sure other regions will follow soon too.

All of this does not mean that I won't buy any OP product in the future. But even the most loyal of OP fans will want to be a little skeptical about them in the future. It is now upto OP to restore customer's faith in them by following up on their promises. Even if they update the OP3 as regularly and timely as OP3T, they will win back majority of the people who have felt betrayed by the OP3's discontinuation.

10. karthik_koneru
    Eclair Nov 17, 2016

karthik_koneru , Nov 17, 2016 :
    Yes.. Sad but true

11. F_Gin_Ger_cbWB
    Cupcake Nov 17, 2016

F_Gin_Ger_cbWB , Nov 17, 2016 :
    the only thing they got from this behaviour it is my firm decision not to change phone until op5t.

12. Dilbert101
    Gingerbread Nov 17, 2016

Dilbert101 , Nov 17, 2016 :
    As Oneplus is a technology based company I would hope that the phones they put on the market will be updated quickly.

13. bpwest80
    KitKat Nov 17, 2016

bpwest80 , Nov 17, 2016 :
    I
    I highly doubt the phone being kept up to date. It's still sitting on September security patch. This is November.

akkireddyashok987 likes this.
  14. ChristopherTurnbull
    Cupcake Nov 17, 2016

15. bpwest80
    KitKat Nov 17, 2016

If you're a first time owner that means that you don't already have the OP3. Which means you wouldn't know how it feels to have a phone a few months and have it be discontinued because of a refresh model. But you will know how it feels when you get your OP3 and 3 or 4 months later they discontinue it and release the OP4.

16. bpwest80
    KitKat Nov 17, 2016

I'm cool. I love my phone. I'm not buying the OP3T. I'm not stressed I just don't like what OnePlus did.

17. evertking

evertking , Nov 17, 2016 :
    Yeah, it's messed up! But do you think OnePlus gives a Sh1t? Nope... We got screwed.

akkireddyashok987 and bpwest80 like this.
  18. Stopiwala

Stopiwala , Nov 17, 2016 :
    Because no matter when you buy a phone or almost any electronic device, there is a newer shinier product coming out 5-6 months later.
    A more interesting question would be...
    What if Oneplus decides they will be releasing a "t" model each year going forward? So when you plan on buying the 4, 5-6 months later 4T will be out, so on so forth. Will you be equally saddened?!?! or will you just refresh your own device once a year?

19. gaster
    Moderator Moderator Nov 17, 2016

gaster , Nov 17, 2016 :
    From the time they said the updates ll be the same for OP3/T as well, then no.I am ok with that. Also i am gonna sell my current op3 soft gold and buy the 3T soft gold. So it's a good deal for me

20. rattles

rattles , Nov 17, 2016 :

It is common practice in the industry to refresh every 12 months. If they do decide on a bi yearly refresh , that's fine and I know what to expect and make decisions based on that.