Has the OP3T changed your opinion of OnePlus?

1. rameez0307
    Gingerbread Nov 16, 2016

rameez0307 , Nov 16, 2016 :
    it's a bad strategy..because in six months time OnePlus will release a better smartphone with better specs (OnePlus 4)..with minor upgrades it's not worth it to spend extra money for the OnePlus 3T, who have already purchased OnePlus 3..and for the new buyers I would suggest wait for OnePlus 4.. OnePlus should not have a discontinued OnePlus 3 specially when it was one there's best sellers..on the contrary they should have focused on quick software updates and making OnePlus 3 software experience more refined and customised..I hope this move doesn't back fires on OnePlus and annoy their fans..

raxuz likes this.
  2. Techder
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 16, 2016

Techder , Nov 16, 2016 :
    We are walking with a old phone some people already saying :oops:

LELBOT likes this.
  3. girishb86
    Honeycomb Nov 16, 2016

girishb86 , Nov 16, 2016 :
    Honestly, I feel that this was not planned at the time of OP3's release. If it was, Carl wouldn't have made a statement about releasing one phone a year and then backtracking on it to make himself look like a hypocrite. I firmly believe that OP is indeed facing a shortage of components for the OP3 but are unwilling to publicly accept it. However, waiting for the components and losing the market due to insufficient stock is not something a company like OnePlus can afford at this stage. It probably made more sense to them to release an updated version with available components at a marginally higher price to maintain/increase their market share.

But, although this move may help them keep the moolah numbers up, their credibility will take a hit with the loyal customers. I, for one, an ardent OP fan, will think more than once about buying a OP flagship phone at launch. For all we know, if the present model turns out to be successful, we might be seeing a repeat of the same cycle next year and so on. Samsung and Apple have followed the same model successfully for years now. The question is, can OnePlus match them or have they jumped the gun a little too early?

4. MarkLR
    Jelly Bean Nov 16, 2016

MarkLR , Nov 16, 2016 :
    Why would you jump off the bandwagon? It's not unheard of from a company to release an "on steroids" version of their flagship device mid-life. Oneplus has stated that 3 and 3T will be treated as the same device. Also, from what I can tell, the 3 did not get a price drop, they just released a more powerful version for people who can afford it and did not get an OP3 yet.

If anything, I expected the 3T to be a bigger departure (I expected a better camera and maybe stereo speakers or something), so I'm not even going to bother with it. Reminds me of when Sony released the Xperia Z4, which was basically a "rehash" of the Z3 with a better chipset and slightly better looking exterior. IE: a cashgrab before the proper new flagship was ready.

If anything, the 3T being such a minor upgrade, should calm down those who thought their toy was going to be obsolete and literally useless overnight. Some people do not grasp the fact that if a device is no longer the company's best, doesn't mean it's outdated or obsolete. By that reasoning, is every device running on the Snapdragon 820 outdated as soon as a device with the 821 is out? Is every device except the company's most expensive one outdated on release? Of course not. There isn't going to be any noticeable performance difference between the snapdragon 820 and 821, so it's still far from obsolete.

5. Helbro

Helbro , Nov 16, 2016 :
    Do people actually realise why the OP3Trickster has a slightly bigger battery?

Let me explain it for you guys...

Not because the SD821 is more power efficent. It is quite the other way around. The SD821 is only more power efficent at the same clock speeds as the SD820. The SD821 used in the OP3Trickster is clocked at 2.35GHz and uses as much power as the SD820 clocked at a lower 2.15GHz. You see the logic in here to put a bigger battery??? Imagine the crying threads that will come up if the new OP3Trickster has a shorter battery life than the OP3 just because the slightly CPU Upgrade... :rolleyes:

Karim9, Kaleidocore and Manas Eapen like this.
  6. MarkLR
    Jelly Bean Nov 16, 2016

MarkLR , Nov 16, 2016 :
    What's the big deal exactly? You need a new phone ASAP? You buy the best one currently available. If you can wait, wait. This is the best practice when it comes to technology in general. Better stuff comes out at a very fast rate, and stuff gets cheaper, consumer electronic is constantly improving and getting cheaper.

Nobody is forcing you to have the latest and greatest at all times. My previous phone was stolen and when I got the OP3, I could not wait because my only other phone was ancient and unusable, so I got it. If my phone didn't get stolen, I would have kept it for years, and you should do the same.

The most intensive app you're using is probably some retarded social selfie posting app, so you don't even need such a powerful device, you should be using a 150 bucks midranger from a year ago and a 70 bucks point and shoot camera, and give the difference to me because I would put that money to much better use (such as alcohol and paid female company).

Sleuth, ghostofcain and Tokolozi like this.
  7. girishb86
    Honeycomb Nov 16, 2016

girishb86 , Nov 16, 2016 :
    @MarkLR : The big deal is that when I'm spending $400 on a phone (which is quite a sum in India), whether or not the phone will lose its sheen in just a few months is a deciding factor. I, too, purchased the OP3 at launch because my OPO got stolen and I needed a new phone. However, what made my decision simpler was the fact that I knew I was purchasing a 2016 flagship phone. If I had known that an upgraded version of the flagship would be available later on, I'd probably have continued with my backup phone a while longer. So, yes, I have every right to be slightly disappointed and be skeptical about getting the OP4 at launch.

8. troy
    Froyo Nov 16, 2016

troy , Nov 16, 2016 :
    we should blame Qualcomm for their policy, too! it's the core component that can be marketed very well. so, Qualcomm, please only one high end processor per year, please! [e]1f609[/e]

9. StuffSneak
    Honeycomb Nov 16, 2016

StuffSneak , Nov 16, 2016 :
    To add to that,
    What happened to 1 flagship each year?
    How can people trust OP again before buying next phone?

Also OP says end-of-life for OP3. . How can a device reach end of life in mere 6 months?

yanniehomogeniser likes this.
  10. Tim Burton
    Froyo Nov 16, 2016

Tim Burton , Nov 16, 2016 :
    Well look at what happened with OPX and how quick it's been discontinued. Do you see a pattern?

11. api182

api182 , Nov 16, 2016 :
    Yep, it's changed my opinion completely, I heavily regret buying the OnePlus 3 a few months back, back in 2014 when I purchased the OnePlus One, I thought they were the best company ever! Selling such an affordable top-spec phone directly to the west! I purposely passed on the OnePlus 2 when I saw it had no NFC and the fact that my OnePlus One was still going so very strong!

When the OnePlus 3 was announced especially without invite, I thought ye, 2 years later, I do fancy something new and I've wanted one of them new fan-dangled fingerprint scanners... "Here's to another 2 years" I thought... How wrong I was, I know you're all mega optimistic about OnePlus offering updates for a decent length of time and that they should run updates along side the 3T but personally, I can't see it happening...

So, the way you would all overcome the above is turn to XDA-Developers right? Go down the community rom route right..?

Wrong, why should I? Why should I go and flash a rom full of bugs, un-root it so that I can use all my banking apps etc only to have to re-root it when I want to update it to a newer version..?

It's a bloody joke!

Xiaomi for me in the future, I'm not a massive fan of MIUI but my friend is running a Redmi Note 3 Pro (SD version) and is on the developer rom stream with them and they push an OTA out every week without fail...

That's how it should be!

You've effed it up good and proper this time OnePlus!

12. biomulv
    Honeycomb Nov 16, 2016

biomulv , Nov 16, 2016 :
    My 3 is as good as it was last week. A new release has not changed that.

The 3T is not worth a $87 increase. Simple as that.

I buy stuff from one plus, I don't have an opinion about them one way or the other.

If they have something I want to buy at the price I want to spend, then great. If not, I will still sleep at night.

Andrizzy R, SimonRam, Sleuth and 2 others like this.
  13. api182

14. _k1l1_
    Gingerbread Nov 16, 2016

_k1l1_ , Nov 16, 2016 :
    I don't understand the hating people because it's their business philosophy they live and because they and their consumers ( you ) should never settle, they have reworked the OP3 with better specs so that you don't have to settle. The 3T isn't a phone which should be bought by 3 users because it doesn't make sense, it's a phone for the One, Two and X users as well as new costumers who have never heard of OnePlus before the 3 and were waiting for a new product to buy. Have a great day, Kilian

Tokolozi likes this.
  15. StuffSneak
    Honeycomb Nov 16, 2016

StuffSneak , Nov 16, 2016 :
    Yeah.

And people saying op3 will have same updates, do you guys know how long it has been since the last stable update? What's the point of community builds if there are no stable updates at all in like 2 months or more? There are numerous issues with camera, slider etc and nothing is being done.

Also read in xda about "OP3 users are kind of beta testers for OP3T" considering its releasing with 3.5

Really OnePlus, I don't literally have words to explain.

yanniehomogeniser and api182 like this.
  16. waxsta

waxsta , Nov 16, 2016 :
    As long as they continue to sell the OnePlus 3 alongside the 3T, I don't see such a huge problem here. The pricing has increased significantly. If they kill off the OnePlus 3...that will be a different story. The 3T IS NOT a huge improvement over the 3. It's just slight improvement with a 128GB offering, at a higher price point. If they never annoucned the 3T, I suspect owners of the OP3 wouldn't have been complaining, in fact quite the opposite. Most, if not all, OP3 owners LOVE their phone.

To all OP3 owners - If you were happy with your phone all this time, the 3T announcement shouldn't make a difference to you. It's a much more expensive offering (I bought my 3 for £309 for the Brexit effect).

Sleuth likes this.
  17. Johnboydunn
    Cupcake Nov 16, 2016

Johnboydunn , Nov 16, 2016 :
    my oneplus3 is 5 days old and already outdated...
    i dont mind as long as it still gets updates but if it gets ignored ill never buy oneplus again

18. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Nov 16, 2016

toastytoast1234 , Nov 16, 2016 :
    I don't think that word means what you think it means.

19. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Nov 16, 2016

dsmonteiro , Nov 16, 2016 :
    If it only has 5 days, you're still in the return period and therefore can buy the new OP3T if you prefer.

As for updates, OnePlus already said the two versions will run the same software.

waxsta likes this.
  20. eliasherrero
    Donut Nov 16, 2016

eliasherrero , Nov 16, 2016 :
    I hope the update of the OP3 for a long time, or the OP3 is gonna be the last OP in my life, and I bought the 1, the 2 and the 3...