have we hit a plateau in hardware specs for smartphones?

1. Dj_chemie Honeycomb Jun 14, 2018

Dj_chemie, Jun 14, 2018 :
    after following smartphone tech for more than 10 years, I get the feeling that all those giant leaps in terms of clock speed, RAM, and screen quality has started to hit a plateau.. those improvements in speed is hardly noticeable in recent phones. battery is also showing some improvements, but not a big leap.. so I was wondering, what could be the next big step possible? (not the sci-fi ones)

2. izzykasha KitKat Jun 14, 2018

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

3. powerofred Jelly Bean Jun 14, 2018

powerofred, Jun 14, 2018 :
    We're in a world where adapting to a successful design or technology is better than bringing a new technology. The increase in research and development for new technologies would increase the cost to company. Also, the difference screen resolutions is very subtle now. Having a 4k screen in a TV is different from having it in a mobile phone. It drains more power than a 1080p display and would make the phone hot. 8gb of RAM is still not adapted by many manufacturers as the chips are capable of running with a lower memory RAM. They provide better performance in a 4gb RAM than a older chip running with 6gb of RAM.

4. izzykasha KitKat Jun 14, 2018

izzykasha, Jun 14, 2018 :
    The pros and cons of pushing boundaries and being the first or a follower of an accepted design and concept.

Apple made their trillions being the first and bold, then everyone fed off their designs.

Where they go, many will follow

5. powerofred Jelly Bean Jun 14, 2018

Samsung or Sony didn't adapt any of Apple's design, as far I know. First notch was brought by Essential phone. Companies who are able to spend much in research and development doesn't follow other companies' designs or ideas. Small companies looks at Apple as a pioneer, and consumes their designs.

Aman Singh gurjar likes this.
  6. izzykasha KitKat Jun 14, 2018

izzykasha, Jun 14, 2018 :

powerofred

Samsung or Sony didn't adapt any of Apple's design, as far I know. First notch was brought by Essential phone. Companies who are able to spend much in research and development doesn't follow other companies' designs or ideas. Small companies looks at Apple as a pioneer, and consumes their designs.​

are you sure just a quick Google so and so copied so and so...and the lawsuits.....

Anyway it's a point of view from where you sit that's my view, I welcome yours with a Google search we can both backup both aides...even the lawyers can't sort it out lol

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

powerofred likes this.
  7. powerofred Jelly Bean Jun 14, 2018

True

izzykasha likes this.
  8. Dj_chemie Honeycomb Jun 14, 2018

Dj_chemie, Jun 14, 2018 :
    that's the question.. adapting to existing technology means growing them subtly, without compromising on the overall design.. does it mean the technology is leveling off?

for example I thought the modular phones are the next big leap.. but it's hard for me to understand why they failed.. rolling screens or smart eye lenses are so into far future..

what's the immediate next big leap we can expect to be fairly successful?

Aman Singh gurjar likes this.