Have you ever tried CyanogenMod OS?

1. Emmanuel
    Marketing Feb 21, 2014

Emmanuel , Feb 21, 2014 :
    Dear Friends,

This week, @Paul has created an interesting thread concerning CyanogenMod and its functionalities. Among the 20 participants of the poll, 85% believed that CyanogenMod is polished enough to complement the OnePlus One experience. Wow!

What about you? We would like to ask those of you who have ever tried CyagonenMod to share your stories with us as well as your favorite features.

#NeverSettle

vixnox79, mamo74, Sandy52 and 3 others like this.
  2. Adam Krisko
    NA Community Consultant Staff Member Feb 21, 2014

Adam Krisko , Feb 21, 2014 :
    I've been using CM since 7/7.1. it's the first rom I ever downloaded on my HTC Droid incredible (verizon wireless). I might not have always been running the original CM, but probably 85-90% of roms out there use a CM base, I guess I've been using it since. They have almost always been on the bleeding edge of software development, so I feel comfortable saying I'm ready to see what they bring to the table for the One+1.:cool:

3. Rick Manders
    Community Veteran Feb 21, 2014

Rick Manders , Feb 21, 2014 :
    I only started to use CM for 3 months and I am still getting to know the possibilities. The main reason for me to switch to CM was the total lack of "bloatware" which I didn't use anyways. CM does however have something for everyone since you have multiple builds (the nightlys, experimentals etc.) which are available to everyone.

4. Jossh
    Gingerbread Feb 21, 2014

Jossh , Feb 21, 2014 :
    I love cyanogenmod since CM7, and I particulary appreciated CyanogenMod Profiles ! I quite never touch to settings riht now !
    I still miss the ability to change the profiles depending on conveyance (car, walking, cycle... with average speed detection added in Android KitKat), and calendar event (which would allow me to turn ringer off in my amphitheatre classroom).

Steve already talked about implementing features in this Google group

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014

Vladimir and Emmanuel like this.
  5. Chim Diesel
    Froyo Feb 21, 2014

Chim Diesel , Feb 21, 2014 :
    I'm running CyanogenMod 11 (Android 4.4) on my Motorola Defy, it's the best. I like that you can change the grid size of your home screen, hide icon labels and do a lot of other modifications. I've disabled my lock screen so that when I switch on my phone it goes straight to the home screen.

Jossh likes this.
  6. Jossh
    Gingerbread Feb 21, 2014

Jossh , Feb 21, 2014 :
    You may have a very recent build (from XDA ?) because I didn't see it on official build, and the custom launcher came back to the latests builds very recently.

I wish there will be this launcher in CyanogenMod+ for OnePlus One !

7. Mark Falsing
    Moderator Moderator Feb 21, 2014

Mark Falsing , Feb 21, 2014 :
    I've been using CM since 10.1, I absolutely love it, I just really like it when things get streamlined there is just something beautiful about it! It's pretty darn close to stock android. I also like the ever going progression of CM, with nightlies coming out almost daily.

Humayun Pathan and Jossh like this.
  8. Chim Diesel
    Froyo Feb 21, 2014

Chim Diesel , Feb 21, 2014 :
    Ya I'm running an unofficial build by Quarx.

Jossh likes this.
  9. Chim Diesel
    Froyo Feb 21, 2014

hawk02b and muddy46 like this.
  10. Jairo D. Escobar
    Froyo Feb 21, 2014

Jairo D. Escobar , Feb 21, 2014 :
    Well guys,

First my best wishes to all of you. Now, straight to the point... The first ever smartphone with Cyanogenmod from factory is among us, no other than Oppo N1, yes I Know we are here in OnePlus, but to be honest I bough that device because of the OS. My feelings are not relevant right now, so I going to write some specific things supported by facts:

1- The Oppo N1 Cyanogenmod edition do not come with Super User privileges as usual in their roms. Read about the third image https://plus.google.com/ CyanogenMod/posts/hA7rzPmZRyE
    2- Bluetooht link to Oclick (a feature thing of the phone) is not working. Read about O-Click section here: https://en.oppo.com/products/n1/
    3- Synchronizing with Google Calendar is not available at this point in Cyanogenmod 10.2 for N1. Same as here and not fixed yet: http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/83494-google-calendar-not-syncinglogging-in/

As you see dear fellows, we have three major problems here amplified by the lack of communication and above all no foreseen dates for a solution. The only thing a read coming from the new company Cyanogenmod was this:
    A case study: Oppo N1, Bugfixes and OTAs
    http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/a-case-study

Sincerely, it really doesn’t makes any better to the situation, to the people who bought the Cyanogenmod edition and leave a market full of speculations founded on bad experiences. I really like Cyanogenmod, I think it is by far the best post-OS (custom rom) and a great competitor to all that fancy roms from manufactures, but I have some issues to solve:

Things were going better as community? I mean, programmers and people who "work" for free are interested to carry on making things in that way as others earn money?
    Can they manage properly the demand from customers and companies?

"This ROM is maintained by the CyanogenMod team and they will be responsible for keeping it updated over time." (see it at: http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/cyanogenmod-for-the-oppo-n1.8017/) This is the only true.

Would you like to read something like this in the future for your brand new smartphone and have no good feedback and communication with the responsible party? I fell terrible and not as a proud owner of that Cyanogemod edition, paying for that is even more ironic.

I hope my experience help in some way to avoid these situations of happening to other good product supporters (buyers). Hardware is important but software is becoming more and more important these days, especially when you try to innovate.

Thanks for reading. Sincerely.

As I see no many people are taking this seriously, in other friend words:
    Official Update Is Out... And Is A Bugfest
    http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/88661-official-update-is-out-and-is-a-bugfest/

More and last:
    http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/cyanogenmod-update-for-n1.9023/

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014

11. Carlos
    Cupcake Feb 21, 2014

12. Andrew Z
    Honeycomb Feb 21, 2014

Andrew Z , Feb 21, 2014 :
    Using CM starting from version 9. First tried it as Samsung was not providing ICS update for my device. Later fell in love with it, and now I certainly will not come back to touchwiz or any other OEM rom.

Things I like are: no bloat, fluid performance compared to touchwiz, ability for customization, fast updates to new versions even for old devices, privacy features such as encripted sms and privacy guard and much much more

The reason it is so great is because it only implements features that people need and not the ones that companies need. So as long as CM maintains very strong communication link with custom rom community, everything should be great!

13. Sudeep Baral
    Froyo Feb 21, 2014

Jossh likes this.
  14. Andrew Z
    Honeycomb Feb 21, 2014

Andrew Z , Feb 21, 2014 :
    I really am a die hard fan of CM, but hearing from many people stories about poorly functioning and optimized Oppo N1 makes me nervous. Really hope it is a single accident and further on all CM phones will be supported in great manner.

If this would not happen, then OnePlus One will not be as good as we all expect even with the best hardware.

Jairo D. Escobar likes this.
  15. Luka
    Froyo Feb 21, 2014

Luka , Feb 21, 2014 :
    Nope. I tried rooting my Sony but it's has some messed up Slovakian T-Mobile firmware :(

vangelis beligiannis likes this.
  16. Sparkolo
    Community Veteran Feb 21, 2014

Sparkolo , Feb 21, 2014 :
    Used that for a while on my N1. But then I found problems concerning special features like the O-click and also battery life wasn't that great :) So I switched back on ColorOS, also because of gestures on the left of the status bar, I use them a lot!

As I said on the other topic CyanogenMod OS is really full of potentiality but still has to work on some aspects regarding the cooperation with manufacturers on official CyanoPhones :) which means perfect optimization of ALL the components and faster updates! Then it's perfect ;)

sn809 and Andrew Z like this.
  17. T-Droid
    Cupcake Feb 21, 2014

T-Droid , Feb 21, 2014 :
    I started using CM on my old Droid Bionic in December and like it a lot. It's faster, the battery lasts longer and if I don't like the particular version I'm using, it can easily be changed. There is still tweaking room but the overall experience is much better than any other ROM that I have tried. I also like not having to "work" to get it rooted so that I may do as I wish with my phone.

Josextv likes this.
  18. ΜητΣος7
    Honeycomb Feb 21, 2014

ΜητΣος7 , Feb 21, 2014 :
    my first time with CM was on my old htc sensation...
    it was so cool because htc stopped with updates really soon and with CM i had the latest android version...
    It was so nice all worked well way better than the original from htc!

19. Noel
    Jelly Bean Feb 21, 2014

Josextv likes this.
  20. infernowheels
    Jelly Bean Feb 21, 2014

infernowheels , Feb 21, 2014 :
    I've been using it on my phone for more than a year now. CM has kinda abandoned it at 4.2.2(CM10.1) but still I'm happy that it helps my phone run smoother. All in all though, because of the obsolete specs of my phone, I'm stuck at playing only 2D games most of the time and I still get random reboots if the phone goes haywire. In other words, I need a new phone :/

Josextv and Mad like this.