HDR on the camera -- please fix!

1. Jorsher
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 11, 2014

Jorsher , Aug 11, 2014 :
    HDR on my Nexus 5 was fantastic. It improved low-light or high contrast photos without making it look unreal. I pretty much left it on all the time except when I was photographing something moving.

HDR on the OnePlus/CM11 is rarely worth using. It goes too far with the HDR making things look cartoony and overall unrealistic. Sometimes it'll look OK, but it's so rare that I don't even bother.

Can it be toned down a bit, offer a slider to adjust the aggressiveness, or even better find a method that results in a more realistic image? I've noticed that on top of making some colors weird, it seems to introduce an effect similar to "ringing" or oversharpening.

The camera hardware is fantastic (although OIS would have been nice), can we get software to match? The UI is nice, but the results aren't. I hoped that using Google's Camera app would improve the results, but it doesn't. Maybe these "flaws" are created at a lower level than the camera software?

spyd4r, SherwinF and magischerherbst like this.
  2. T00Sp00kyFoU

T00Sp00kyFoU , Aug 11, 2014 :
    Got to agree with this. HDR is a little too much. I like it in some examples and other times the effect isn't appropriate. I think they should have a realistic HDR option and a artistic (like how it is now) HDR option.

3. ezequielin2580

ezequielin2580 , Aug 11, 2014 :
    I agree. Though the Nexus 5 has a pretty bad camera, the HDR made it a lot better. HDR does hardly anything on the OnePlus One.

bestlands likes this.
  4. jayarh
    Gingerbread Aug 11, 2014

jayarh , Aug 11, 2014 :
    Agreed. At times it does look over the top and sometimes it looks acceptable. Also it would be nice if we had a faster shutter speed (unless I'm shooting in low light way too often)

5. arturor1990

arturor1990 , Aug 11, 2014 :
    sorry for my ignorance but if you use the google play camera app you can get the hdr work properly right?

6. T00Sp00kyFoU

T00Sp00kyFoU , Aug 11, 2014 :
    Think it still uses the HDR post processing built into the regular software. Think thats just how HDR works on any phone.

7. PidoRas
    Eclair Aug 11, 2014

LostPorcupine likes this.
  8. 70n

70n , Aug 11, 2014 :
    I agree. The HDR really is aggressive on this phone. Furthermore, I don't think the imageprocessing capabilities of cynogenmod/android match those of iOS.

9. Hanson Lee
    Marshmallow Aug 11, 2014

Hanson Lee , Aug 11, 2014 :
    Yup, really makes my picture look artificial.

Even though a little nice.

But won't earn recognition from my tech friends.

10. kekin
    Donut Aug 11, 2014

11. spyd4r
    Honeycomb Aug 11, 2014

spyd4r , Aug 11, 2014 :
    Google Camera can overdo it's tonemapping on HDR as well.. I think it's just the style... wish the levels were able to be controlled though.

12. LostPorcupine
    KitKat Aug 11, 2014

LostPorcupine , Aug 11, 2014 :
    Yes, but bad software can be fixed; it's just usually a question of "Will it?"
    In the case of CyanogenMod, I'm pretty confident that it will be fixed.

13. hamsteyr
    Cupcake Sep 12, 2014

hamsteyr , Sep 12, 2014 :
    I'd like to chime in that I've been having weird results with HDR as well, especially with Night Shots. Daylight shots they don't seem to look all that great, and Night shots? well.... they just bomb it :\

Here are some samples I did with the camera
    [​IMG]
    Normal (Auto)

[​IMG]
    HDR

[​IMG]
    Clear Image

[​IMG]
    Slow Shutter (ISO 108, 8 Second Exposure)

[​IMG]
    Night

Normal mode didn't catch a lot of light at all, and that's to be expected. Lots of noise all over the place however.

HDR is.... Well... What in god's name is going on here. I've tried to replicate this result in all of my photos, even with different scenes, and god, they just look... ethereal.

Clear Image is probably the best compromise between Noise levels and brightness of the image, considering it was pretty dark out there.

To no surprise, Slow Shutter polled the best results with extremely low noise levels, and great detail and colours coming out.

Night mode is a shame and should never really be touched. I found the noise levels to be higher than auto and Clear image, making it look quite unsightly blown up. You're better off using Clear Image.

mydroid and paulo111 like this.
  14. thewho
    Gingerbread Sep 12, 2014

thewho , Sep 12, 2014 :
    have you posted this as a Bug at JIRA ?
    https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse...sian.jira.plugin.system.project:summary-panel

15. bartclaeys
    Froyo Sep 29, 2014

16. mwoolley
    Jelly Bean Sep 29, 2014

mwoolley , Sep 29, 2014 :
    its a bit over the top, the google camera app is apparently better as suggested above

17. wobu
    Donut Sep 29, 2014

wobu , Sep 29, 2014 :
    On my photos, taken with HDR mode people often have a bright shine around them ...

18. Frederick
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 29, 2014