Hear from you: OnePlus Buds open review

1. Sam peteti , via OnePlus 7T Frosted Silver , Aug 6, 2020 :
    I want to talk about only cons because our onplus always maintain the minimum requirements and quality as well.

As of my view

1. I Notice buds was not fixed perfectly with ears (it's not useful for workout etc)
    2. Noice Cancellation was not perfectly working..we can hear outside noise also untill u increase the full sound.
    3. Touch controls problems for everything 2 taps I think they will update these things In update.
    4. Water resistance still we are in back

2. IamIRONSman
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 6, 2020

IamIRONSman , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Thanks @Fleming F. I've had mine about 6 days and they are a good pair of earbuds.

Quick pair didn't work for me which was a bit disappointing but I haven't let that hinder my review.

I don't know if it is a regional thing (being in the UK) or my 7T isn't due an update yet but I currently have no ability to customise the taps for the buds.

Moving past that they are a solid pair of wireless earbuds.

The half in ear design is taking some getting used to as I think it may be my ear shape or just me being used to silicone tipped buds, I have to readjust them every now and again. Sound is good, call quality has been great but they have disconnected once or twice randomly whilst in use so I forgot them and re -added them which seems to have fixed the issue.

The Nord Blue colour is great makes them easy to find (Only had to use the find my device feature once) and the case is a nice pocketable size which I applaud.

A dedicated app would be nice to see to allow each user to set their own preferred sound profile and share their created profiles with other users I know other earphone makers have done this previously but I feel like ONEPLUS could do it well.

I would have like to have seen ONEPLUS go for a similar design to the Bullets however I understand the design of the ONEPLUS Buds and the microphone placement the design makes sense.

3. Frakart99
    Cupcake Aug 6, 2020

4. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 6, 2020

luigimario , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Hi there @Fleming F. I don't own the buds yet but I'd love a chance to review them. I think they look great and just based on the specs and what others here have said, I think they would be super convenient to use with my OnePlus 7 pro. I could also test them with my OnePlus 3 (though not fully compatible), and possibly the Nord as well.

Here's a sample of my product review skills, it is my detailed review of the OnePlus 6T. It showcases my attention to details and desire to test all the features I can, for a thorough review.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/the-lab-oneplus-6t-review-by-luigimario.933294/

Cheers!

5. chandru1990
    Cupcake Aug 6, 2020

chandru1990 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Hi there friend im a OnePlus user and couple of weeks ago I bought OnePlus 8 pro . So for it's works very good and I'm very happy that I bought any form OnePlus and now I'm waiting for the OnePlus earbuds to buy but it's not available in my region . I'm very sad

6. JohnTex
    Froyo Aug 6, 2020

JohnTex , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Before we can review it, the buds need to be on stock so the users can buy it, since their launch , the buds are sold out.....so review what?

7. Francesco1979
    Froyo Aug 6, 2020

Francesco1979 , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Hello @Fleming F. here is my review and I hope it will be appreciated by the whole community:

OnePlus Buds review

OnePlus has been quite serious about its audio range over the years, coming up with a pair of earphones with each series of phones it has launched over the past few years. This year after launching its Bullets Wireless 2 along with the OnePlus 8 series it has launched the OnePlus Buds, its first truly wireless model, along with the OnePlus Nord.

The OnePlus Buds follow the Apple AirPods design, though the charging case has a more curved base and the earphones themselves have a flat back where you tap for controls. Also, the charging case comes in multiple colours and I got the Nord Blue for review. Inside the charging case there is a different colour — light yellow in the case — which is a unique design among the truly wireless sets I have used.

upload_2020-8-6_14-40-24.png

The OnePlus Buds pair easily with all devices, though they work best with OnePlus phones. With the OnePlus range you can see the battery life of the earbuds as well as the charging case from Bluetooth settings. Also, there are regular software update on offer and I liked how the settings even showed the colour of the model I had. Also, you can use this to customise what the double taps on the sides will be and I set the left to voice assistant and right to skip songs. But only double taps are recognised. Also, you to stop or pause you have to take the earphones from your ears and taps don’t work. Another interesting aspect is the find Buds feature where you can get either of the earbuds to ring in case you lose them somewhere.

The design of the Buds are similar to the first AirPods. The issues are similar too. When the first AirPods came I was not sure there will stay in place in my ears, even though a combination of gravity and design kept them well in place. With the OnePlus Buds too, I keep fearing they will fall off, especially the right bud as my ear seems to be a bit extra large on that side.

The OnePlus Buds are still comfortable and don’t irritate you one bit. And with time you get used to the design and the Buds seems to fade away leaving you with just the convenience of truly wireless audio.

upload_2020-8-6_14-40-53.png

The audio quality of the OnePlus Buds is more on the neutral side and not very partial to bass as most of the earphones are these days. Anyway, they do pack a bit of oomph when you are listening to tracks with a bit of bass, though they don’t amp up the bass unnecessarily. My regular playlist with its share of Leonard Cohens and Western Classical gelled well with the Buds and at no point did I feel these were not up to the task. It could handle even a bit of techno that has ended up in folders inadvertently. I noticed that the sound stage is roomy and there is no clutter of the vocals and instruments trying to fight for the same space.

At this price point, the OnePlus Buds offers a decent audio profile. But it lacks the bite of the OnePlus Bullets when they first came on the scene. OnePlus is known to push the experience in whatever it does, with the Buds it is not doing that with the audio quality in my opinion. While it is good for this price point, I was maybe expecting OnePlus to offer more.
    upload_2020-8-6_14-43-19.png
    While OnePlus claims to offer something it called Environment Noise Cancelling, it appeared to be more of noise isolation that happens when you have something in your ears that cut off ambient noises. But still while listening to a bit of Yesudas I could hear the hum of the fan in the background in the background and WhatsApp alerts on the laptop.

The battery life is decent and will able to last you a couple of days with full usage. OnePlus claims it can go up 30 hours and I don’t doubt that claim with what I have seen.

Overall, at € 89, the OnePlus Buds is one of the best truly wireless options available at that price point. The audio quality will not disappoint you and there are enough new features like find the Buds to make you feel good. It makes more sense for those already owning a OnePlus device. I recommend the OnePlus Buds for those buying the OnePlus Nord or the OnePlus 8 series this year.

Attached Files:

Fleming F., YRJ and Sylvester.David like this.
  8. Toni Merikanto
    Froyo Aug 6, 2020

Toni Merikanto , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Well, here is a shameless post on my blog page, if OnePlus wants for new 8 Pro user to make a review over the the OnePlus Buds.

gamingcaveman.wordpress.com

I don't do this as a main income, mainly as a hobby every now and then.
    This year has been quiet since the covid issue came and i've been in school for summer.

9. Fleming F.
    Community Trainee Aug 6, 2020

Fleming F. , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Good suggestion, I'm also like the grey one.

10. DarshanMeniya
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 6, 2020

DarshanMeniya , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Thank You and Congratulations @Fleming F. for another amazing contest!

OnePlus Buds Review!

Hi I am stranger and stranger gives you honest review!

1596730876118.jpg

Thanks to three colour "Nord Blue" , "White" and "Grey" color!

I am also looking forward to "Glacial Green" OnePlus Buds.
    If you are interested do check it once!
    *Image Attached Below.

1596730892311.jpg

1 more colour suggestion : Glacial Green OnePlus Buds

The OnePlus Buds with case gives 30 hours of listening time and also it supports warp charge 30T which gives 10 hours of listening time in just charging of 10 minutes!
    Thanks to 13.4mm dynamic driver which gives richer tones, clearer vocals and deeper bass!

There is double tap option with it you can customise settings of your buds like Next track,Previous track,Wake up voice assistant,Play/pause options but there is one restrication it can be only usable when you have OnePlus 6 or above models. I hope this option should be available for all android devices.

With an IPX4 rating OnePlus Buds are safe from splashes but it will be great if it comes with IPX7 rating!

1596730908731.jpg

Thanks to OnePlus Buds design as it incorporate the same seashell-inspired CD-pattern as the OnePlus Bullets Wireless series for an instantly recognizable OnePlus design it will be great if it comes with a customisable silicone ear tips!

Look at some restrictions:

1.Dolby Atmos (only supported on 7/7 Pro/7T/7T Pro/8/8 Pro devices)

2. Dirac Audio Tuner (only supported on OnePlus Nord devices) 103ms minimum latency (only applicable when Fnatic Mode is enabled on OnePlus 6/6T/7/7 Pro/7T/7T Pro/8/8 Pro/Nord devices.

3. Double Tap customisable options ( only supported OnePlus 6 or greater models )

I hope in future devices we will see less restrictions!

Now it's time to look at official Specifications!

OnePlus Buds
    Set your music free

Uniquely OnePlus

Specs

Model

E501A

Product colors

White/Gray/Nord Blue

Dimensions

Earbud: 18.81*16.13*37.89 mm
    Charging box: 52.21*59.62*24.4 mm

Weight

Earbud: 4.7 g
    Charging box: 37 g

Driver

13.4 mm dynamic

Driver sensitivity

97 dB ± 3dB @ 1 KHz

Frequency response range

20 Hz - 20 KHz

Microphone senstivity

-38 dB ± 2dB

Bluetooth version

BT 5.0

Wireless range

10 meters

Charging interface

Wired: USB Type-C

Time to fully charge

Earbuds+Charging box: ~80 mins

Rated capacity

Charging box: 420mAh

Earbud battery

35 mAh (per earbud)

Playtime (fully charged)

Up to 7 hours (music playback)
    4 hours (phone call)
    Up to 30 hours (music playback)

Fast charge

10 mins for 10 hours (charging box+earbuds)
    10 mins for 2 hours play time for the earbuds

*All Specification Source Available At OnePlus Official Website.

"POINTS TO BE STICK WITH"

(1) 30 Hours Listening Time

(2) Thanks to world famous OnePlus Charging technology as it supports WarpCharge 30T , 10 minutes of charge gives you 10 hours of music listening time! Kudos to you!!!!

(3) 13.4 mm dynamic driver

(4) Magnetic Case

(5) Agressive Price

"POINTS TO BE IMPROVE"

(1) Customisable Ear Tips ( It will be great if all user can use this masterpiece!) (if current CD Latter seashell design fits on 99.5% user's ear than why we can't go with 100% user satisfaction!)

(2) It will be better if it comes with Qualcomm chips so it will support aptX HD

(3) IPX7 should be in OnePlus Buds instead of IPX4

(4) Instead of Environmental Noise cancellation Active Notice Cancellation would be great choice!

"PRICE"

1596730926771.jpg

This masterpiece OnePlus Buds available at Indian price ₹4,990 , US price $79 , Europe price €89. For more details kindly check OnePlus official website.

For Indian user you can order it from Flipkart , Amazon and OnePlus.in website.

"FINAL VERDICT"

It's masterpiece sound device from OnePlus.
    You will get pretty much everything at pretty great price, if you have OnePlus device than this is best choice or if you want to start new beginnings with OnePlus products than this masterpiece is perfect choice for you to start beginnings! Go for it.........

"ONE WORD REVIEW"

SUPERIOR

This is my on paper review, Hands on review and physical overview , comfort review , actual sound quality review only possible when I will get this OnePlus Buds on my hand and ear!

I don't have OnePlus Buds so without using it I can't tell you much more things about it just like

(1)Sound quality ( bass , treble , mid tons , high tons , low tons),
    (2)Ergonomics point of view ( fitting , weight , comfort level) , physical overview ( colour , build quality ),
    (3)Charging review ( charging time , actual battery draining time),
    (4)Software department ( sensitivity and respose time of double tap button , other functions).

This things can be only possible if I will receive OnePlus Buds, I hope you will find some positivity in my review in year 2020!

I HOPE YOU WILL LIKE MY REVIEW AND THANKS FOR READING MY REVIEW OF ONEPLUS BUDS.

Thank You,
    - Stranger.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020

Fleming F. likes this.
  11. bagufix
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2020

12. Elizabeth Husman
    Eclair Aug 6, 2020

Elizabeth Husman , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Hi there,

Thank you for hosting yet another creative contest. I have not bought the OnePlus buds but I've heard and read so much about it. Although I'm not exactly a tech reviewer or anything, I think it'll be interesting to know the opinion of a casual person on these buds as most of the users are in fact ordinary people who don't give much stress about the bass notes or the midrange notes as long as it sounds good to them.

First of all I am loving the IPX4 water resistance and the in-ear detection that pauses the music when you pull it out.

The 30hrs extended battery life is amazing. The fast charger is great but if it had been a wireless one instead of the USB- C type it would've been even better. But then again for the 5000/- price tag, not having this feature is definitely NOT a deal breaker.

I was so happy to see that the touch functions on the buds could be customised. But the fact that this is exclusively for the OnePlus users was a bit of a letdown for the non users. I've heard about a possible companion app and more updates that are being developed, if that's true and works well with other android phones then this would be one of the best affordable ear buds on the market.

I've seen reviewers commenting on the comfort part but I cannot say much about it since varies from person to person. Also there has been reviews about the call quality and noise cancellation facility but like I said I've got no hands on experience so I can't really say much about it. The same goes for the sound quality.

So that's it. Hope I'll get a chance to provide my insights on these buds.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020

Fleming F. and YRJ like this.
  13. Dahn626
    Cupcake Aug 6, 2020

Dahn626 , Aug 6, 2020 :
    So I haven't bought the OnePlus Buds, but I would be really excited to check them out. After having reviewed some of the best sounding bluetooth earbuds (Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 (MTW2)) and the worst (fake airpods), I'd love to check these out and see how they operate and sound!

I love the color-ware - it's a GREAT move on OnePlus' part as it's clearly a fashion statement and you can identify fellow OnePlus lovers right away. It's also a great conversation starter.

I'd love for the chance to review these - here's a review I did of the MTW2 to showcase my skills!

14. G_Karothikeyan
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 6, 2020

Batman360 likes this.
  15. JosWorkshop , via OnePlus 8 T-Mobile , Aug 6, 2020 :
    I want to get one to do my daily jogs with, since they look pretty solid. From what I've seen, they fit comfortably, are convenient to use and not just a novelty, with the customization features helping adapt them to different tastes. I personally enjoy less noise cancellation, it helps to stay aware of my surroundings and enjoy music as more of a background noise as I focus on the environment around me. I'm also a bass fan, so I appreciate the bass boost they have. Overall they're a product I want to try out, as I think they fit my lifestyle, are comfortable, and have pretty solid battery life and connectivity.

16. Thong_Yeap_Hong , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 6, 2020 :
    hi, very interesting, I'm HiFi lover, always can't imagine that wireless can beat wire instruments, but nowadays because of technology, it really can compete with it. hope can get it sample and try it feel it can share with other wireless also can sound it right.

17. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Aug 6, 2020

YRJ , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Hello @Fleming F. ,
    This is a great contest! What's better than to read reviews from fellow community members? ;)
    To me the pricing of the buds is what takes the cake, among other things. Not only do they look good but they are cheaper than various wired / neckband styled earphones! Battery life shouldn't be a problem given how well my og bullets and bw2 are holding up. It would be very interesting to check out the sound quality of the buds ;)

Here's a reference review of the BW2, that I'm rocking even today :D
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/the-bullets-wireless-2-are-these-your-buds-for-life.1052337/

fragargon and luigimario like this.
  18. poe_fosho
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2020

poe_fosho , Aug 6, 2020 :
    This is just a suggestion, not trying to have the best review or anything.

BUT WHY.. not create an APP to manage the Oneplus Buds outside of a Oneplus device?!?!

Not everyone has a oneplus phone and this seems silly to limit your market and ability to sale the buds if you dont have the extra features a oneplus device would have.

Push the Oneplus Buds app to the play store.

19. Ryuzai
    Cupcake Aug 6, 2020

Ryuzai , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 6, 2020 :
    I wonder why OnePlus decide to use hard tip earbud instead of soft tip n quality of sound it's produce as well
    Since I don't have it, it makes me more curious to try use it ,
    As a tech enthusiast i currently have 7 pro since it's launch I buy it right away n anticipate ever since when I can pair my phone with OnePlus wearable devices.
    I hope I get chance to answer my curiosity as on learning sound engineer n share it with other OnePlus user

20. soumyadeep86
    Cupcake Aug 6, 2020

soumyadeep86 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 6, 2020 :
    I am in the UK, waiting for the Blue Buds to be available again for sale. do you know why this is out of stock and available for contests?? I am happy to buy and enjoy them rather being lucky!!!