Hear from you: OnePlus Buds open review

1. Dhiran_pnb
    Donut Aug 7, 2020

Stickied Post
    Dhiran_pnb , via OnePlus 7 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Being an audiophile, I spent a stupid amount of time to find out how far I can go with the OnePlus buds. The short & simple answer would be "good" especially at this price.

Sound Quality :

1. First things first, the clarity. It is top notch. I mean you could clearly hear the lows, highs and those minute details hidden under layers of sounds.
    2. The bass are punchy enough to make sure that you hear the next beat without any headache, but it would be even more fun to have some extra bass.
    3. About the stereo, it's good but not good enough to make your mind boggle.
    4. The biggest issue with its sound quality is loudness. I personally find it to be a bit low. Especially while using Netflix, Amazon Prime even the loudest details feels very flat and muffled.
    4. Clarity while on voice calls are excellent and beyond my expectations.
    5. I personally feel that OnePlus should have gone for aptX support rather than IPX4.
    6. *The most unclear feature of all is the "Dolby Atmos". When I change the audio profiles in settings, I could see some minute difference. But is it really the "Dolby Atmos".
    I mean there is no clear definition of using "Dolby Atmos" on smartphones. We still don't know how it works? Is it the same tech on other audio devices? Does the device really support Dolby's TrueHD codec? Netflix, Amazon prime & most others doesn't support "Dolby Atmos on smartphones". So when there is no supporting content available, how really are you gonna experience it. Is it just a gimmick? I clearly don't know.
    *The point on Dolby Atmos refers to all smartphones that supports them, it is just not about the Oneplus buds or OnePlus smartphones*

Microphone :

1. With three mics in each buds this device could really pick your voice loud & crisp. No problems with the mic.
    2. The only downside with the mics are the "Environmental noise cancellation". I wish there could be a switch to turn it on or off in the Bluetooth settings to really see the difference. Cause while I was on a call, there was literally no noise cancellation at all or it doesn't work with phone calls. Obviously these buds doesn't have active noise cancellation. But atleast Oneplus could have given us a clarification on how it works. Anyways, I'm not clear with this feature.

Connectivity :

1. At times I had this issue which is weird, the music would play on your phone but the buds goes silent for about 3 to 5 second. I thought it must be some issue with the music app, but I had the same issue with Wynk, Apple music & Youtube music. Weird, right.

2. Quick pair doesn't work with my OnePlus 7. Even with the latest OTA 10.3.4 . You can just have them paired with a couple of taps rather than waiting for the device to get a pop up notification. But once the device is paired it takes very little time to connect with the phone just by opening the case.

3. Connectivity while on phone calls are good. Had no problems with it.

Battery & firmware upgrade:

1. We all know that there's not gonna be a problem with battery performance on Oneplus devices. Anyways I should make a word in this review. "Simply THE BEST".

2. Charging time won't take long and you don't even need to worry about the rate of discharge.

3. About the firmware upgrade, man I wish OnePlus should have made some announcement about this. On unboxing the buds were running on 327.327.308 while my OP7 was on 10.3.3 . The sound quality was flat and I thought this is just another average buds. But after the 10.3.4 OTA I was able to upgrade the firmware to 340.340.308. Man the difference is inevitable. Only after the upgrade, I changed my mind to use these buds.

1596795721548.jpg

*This whole review is based on 340.340.308*

Build quality & comfort :

1. Build quality is again top notch. The charging case feels soft and good. A small cute LED, what more do you need.
    2. Buds are made of high quality plastic. Had them dropped on the floor a couple of times, but not a problem as of now.
    3. About the comfort and fit, I wish the size could have been about 5% smaller in proportion. It is definitely a secure fit than the Apple airpods, but sometime I get an ache at the inner back side of my ear if used for a prolonged time. I had to remove the buds for about 5 to 10 seconds to releive myself from the pain. Ofcourse everyone is not like me. So see for yourself if you have a pleasant fit.
    Also on my regular evening workouts, I had no problems at all even with high intensity sprints.
    4. "Hold 3 seconds to switch" feature is really good and fast enough to connect between devices. And BTW I really liked the gray color, but I was forced to buy Nord Blue because of unavailability😶. Also it will be so rad to give red coloured insides in the gray one🤫.

Overall it's a bang for the price you pay.

Edit:

*Bug Report*

I hope people at OnePlus are reading this @Fleming F.

The battery status shown in the Bluetooth settings and the OnePlus buds(device details) settings are different.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020

MosheG1, Batman360, obakesan and 2 others like this.
  2. mazids56@gmail.c
    Cupcake Aug 7, 2020

mazids56@gmail.c , via OnePlus 6 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Firstly i am huge fan of oneplus. I always recommend my family/friends to buy oneplus product. I really want to use wireless buds but could'nt buy because it was to expensive. Then i got a update oneplus is launching buds i was so happy because of the price which was affordable for me. I have order 4 buds for me and my brothers. Till now my experience is pretty good. I like the battery . Design is very attractive. Fall in love with Nord blue buds. Sound is very awesome. Feeling the music. My overall experience is excellent. Onplus knows how keep Customers happy. Thanks you oneplus.

3. S1596794534764
    Cupcake Aug 7, 2020

4. AlienEye
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 7, 2020

AlienEye , via OnePlus 6 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    What's your system version?

5. Dhiran_pnb
    Donut Aug 7, 2020

Dhiran_pnb , via OnePlus 7 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    You will only be able to do it after the OTA update. You will soon receive it.

6. Reginal Densten , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 7, 2020 :
    So this is my review of OnePlus Buds after 3 days of use...

Design:
    I purchased myself a white variant of Buds after my initial purchase of OnePlus 8 Pro. The design is so perfect as it looks like a 2D egg and it pretty much fits on my left pocket where I used to keep my wallet. I personally like the lid as it is easy to push open using my thumb. Special mention to the lid closing sound[e]1f60c[/e]

As for the bud, it fits perfectly on my ears and I've tried jumping up and down to check whether it falls off. And no! they didn't [e]1f604[/e]. +1 to the design team for this.

Sound and Mic:
    The sound feels more detailed than my previous Skullcandy earphones which I was using on my OnePlus 3T. The bass feels strong and punchy as I frequently use Spotify and YouTube and I'm amazed. Thanks to the 13.4mm driver[e]1f601[/e]. I'm kind of a person who listens to music at 100% volume and these buds made me to use at 50% in home environment. And this doesn't end here! Dolby Atmos feels heaven while steaming Netflix[e]1f60c[/e](laptop).

Now the Mic. Personally I've not been to outdoors much after the purchase and so I cannot give a opinion on that. Indoors are excellent as I tested the mic quality with my friends.

Touch - Pair functioning:
    The touch function is excellent in my case as I hate single tap on earbuds. Earlier, I've used a $20 TWS buds and the single tap function made me to hate them more as it was prone to accidental touches while adjusting the buds which interrupted my calling sessions. So I felt comfortable with the double tap options on OnePlus Buds. I use my left and right bud as previous and next track respectively and it was easy to customize using my 8 Pro. I personally love the auto pause/play while removing buds from my ears to catch a quick conversation with my nearby people.

The most loved feature on these buds is the pairing. I often switch to my laptop and phone and the quick pair helped me to pair within 4 seconds after the 3-second pair-switching process. And now, switching between devices is super handy.

Battery:
    The battery time is dope! As of now I've charged my Buds the very first time I purchased ( 3days back) which took me approximately 15 minutes (as some juice were there previously) and I use ~ 7.5 Hrs every day. Now it's my 4th day and currently I have 70% juice left on case to survive. I never thought I wouldn't be charging the buds for this long.

Conclusion:
    OnePlus Buds is absolutely a bang for your buck and I will recommend my friends to get one.

Suggestion:
    1. Could have a single-tap option as there are people who like them.
    2. An option to adjust the volume by having a tap and hold option

P. S - I found these buds were tailor-made for me
    1596805316357.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020

Fleming F. and YRJ like this.
  7. PRajwalritzy , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Hey ONEPLUS
    Great to receive the best Truely wireless earphones as BUDS...just loved it after waiting for almost one year now in hands , as soon as I opened box it was just great feeling of satisfaction that having a oneplus buds , i couldn't resist i just opened the box felt the premium build quality and pared them with my oneplus 7 pro before evening thinking which is R and L my phone screen popped up with notification for connectivity that was really smooth CONNECTION WAS SMOOTH with my favourite song i started to listen music and couldn't take them out of my ears for one hour ...the sound was really great all the sound was really great as said noise cancellation is perfect and the gestures works perfectly alright, the best feature is that even though its lost in the room it will give beep sound so that we can find the other bud overall its best in price its really amazing I thank ONEPLUS to give such great product at best price
    1596807175803.jpg

1596807155385.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020

8. B1596807672971
    Cupcake Aug 7, 2020

B1596807672971 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    . Audio quality comparison using OnePlus Buds
    2. Pairing with non OnePlus device
    3. How to change double tap options of buds for non oneplus devices
    4. How to modify audio tuner on OnePlus 6
    5. Buds connectivity to other bluetooth devices like amazon firestick
    6. Unboxing
    7. Pairing with OnePlus device
    8. Questions answered in comments

9. aquib7
    Cupcake Aug 7, 2020

aquib7 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Yeah, I did tried all the possible angles, still same results

11. P1574848543155
    Donut Aug 7, 2020

P1574848543155 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    As I love OnePlus products that the hype u create that maked me awaited but the disappointing is the cost of the product is high as many users can't afford the same prices as u launched bullets for the good price ,as the same way we like to request the buds price make the fans to love #

12. Sriram94617
    Gingerbread Aug 7, 2020

Sriram94617 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Personally I hate the the stem design !!! Ear tip is also required !!!
    Maybe next one should look something like Sennheiser momentum true wireless 2 our soundpeats
    Even Jabra 65t looks ugly , too far

So something that looks sleek and small
    And something that sounds good !!!

13. MarcoLae91
    Cupcake Aug 7, 2020

MarcoLae91 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    The Oneplus Buds are excellent headphones, especially listening to music, with really powerful bass we can enjoy the sound.
    Being non-in-ear, they have good comfort, they are really good in the ear even during long sessions of listening to music or on calls, and hardly fall out.
    I personally would have added more touch controls, such as lowering or increasing the volume, but I understand that this would have increased the sale price.
    Another thing that Oneplus should have done and updated all devices so that those like me who have an Oneplus 7 pro or in any case more recent, at the arrival of the Buds would have enjoyed all the functions of the headphones.
    Returning to the positive aspects these Buds have fully satisfied me, the box is really well done, small and elegant, it would be nice if there were some covers so as not to ruin it hopefully later.
    I recommend them, especially to those who have an Oneplus smartphone or even to those who do not, they do not cost much but you will have a lot of quality both in the audio (obviously very important point for headphones) and in the materials.
    As always Oneplus knows how to amaze, and now I would say that only one last thing is missing to complete the Oneplus ecosystem, a smartwatch.

14. fadoulnader
    Cupcake Aug 7, 2020

15. hruthik.charan
    Eclair Aug 7, 2020

hruthik.charan , via OnePlus 7T , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Based on the budget it's really cool , good , superb performance . I really like the connectivity it's simple , easy to connect no issues on that . That's really a good step to take oneplus buds on that range . Affordable price . The shape is unique . The battery life no words to say about that topic . Oneplus buds battery life no words .
    But I really left for not providing silicon earbuds as you provided for previous wireless earphones
    That's not at all a problem no issues
    Overall I loved it . I wish I can get one

16. Abhishek___saha
    Cupcake Aug 7, 2020

Abhishek___saha , via OnePlus 5 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Just got my oneplus buds today!

While everyone is talking about the buds as an overall package(which it is!!!), I would make it short and crisp :-

1. Packaging, design and quality- top notch specs in the industry as expected from oneplus

2. Sound quality- has a good amount of bass, highs and lows are pretty much distinguishable, overall a nice experience.

3. Environmental noise cancellation- It's working just 10-20% of what was expected as advertised by oneplus, needs a LOT of improvement, expecting it to be rolled out via software updates.

4. Support for oneplus devices- Being a oneplus power user for the last 3.5 years, I would have liked a software update to the older oneplus devices like oneplus 5/5T with control over the touch sensors on each bud.

5. Touch controls- This is one of the most least thought after area that oneplus should have focused upon before releasing the buds. It just has the double tap function, THAT'S IT?! Like seriously if you are competing with the mobile tech giants then this is one feature that needs to be focused upon asap.

6. Connectivity- BLAZING fast most of the times, loved it!
    1596818746887.jpg

17. chvzed
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 7, 2020

chvzed , Aug 7, 2020 :
    You could learn a thing or two from Samsung's Galaxy Buds Live ;)

18. Vijay@1+
    Cupcake Aug 7, 2020

Vijay@1+ , via OnePlus 7 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    1596822536078.jpg
    I am using ear buds with my one plus 7 I don't have a customize option on double tap. And ANC is disappointed very much their is no use with ANC and also we need little 10% of higher volume

YRJ likes this.
  19. Kishore4664
    Cupcake Aug 7, 2020

20. AlienEye
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 7, 2020

AlienEye , via OnePlus 6 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    What's you Oxygen OS version?

And you cannot expect ANC on ₹5000 TWS.