Hear from you: OnePlus Buds open review

1. P1573911705329
    Cupcake Aug 10, 2020

P1573911705329 , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 10, 2020 :
    The OnePlus buds are all around a really good product and make Apple Airpods look over prized. The buds have a quality and premium feel to them and when closing the charging case the case makes a satisfying snap. One thing I really like about the headphones is the fast 30W charging. Only drawbacks I can think of are the case does not support wireless charging and the touchpad is very small and hard to use. 1597053014576.jpg 1597053249655.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020

2. KristjanJaak
    Cupcake Aug 10, 2020

KristjanJaak , Aug 10, 2020 :
    I think OnePlus Buds are comfy, very colour vibrant and sound quality is high. Although I don't see why would you have a touch plate on them if you can only change the purpose of 2 taps. It seems like a big waste. If you have a touch panel then I would expect to have full control over my music/phone via the touch plate(s). I would remove the touch plate from the left side (could be the right, wichever way is more comfortable) and give it more of a use than just 2 tap possibilities. Like one tap would me pause and start the music, then two taps would be next song and three taps is the song before. Shouldn't even bother adding the manual activation, when they activate immediately after you take them out of the case. If you can give people quality as good as the big "airpods", but add the touch control like I described and still have much lover price than airpods, then Oneplus Buds shall be the next big hit. Especially if they work extra well with Oneplus phones, then peaople would have a reason to get a phone also[e]1f609[/e][e]1f609[/e]

3. sritejkoduru
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 10, 2020

sritejkoduru , Aug 10, 2020 :
    Just look at other buds, they are providing 58mAh like samsung galaxy buds!

4. Plenkske
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Aug 10, 2020

Plenkske , Aug 10, 2020 :
    As I don't have the Buds yet, here is my opinion and some other review links.

Buds Opinion
    I think OnePlus did a good move to enter the market of TWS earphones.
    The bullets wireless were a great first step: great audio quality, nice fit in the ear, battery life and charging speed is good and the functionallity is just perfect.
    But people wanted to see TWS earphones made by OnePlus. And now they are in the market !

I did not buy the Buds. The reason is that I dont use earphones daily. In general I use them a few times a month.
    I would really like to test them though !
    My tests would be about:
    - the looks and the build quality
    - sound quality
    - the fit in the ear
    - charging and battery life
    - functions that the bullets wireless have: auto pause/play, answering a phone call

In my opinion its very important that earphones fit well. A lot of things can be average, but if the fit is not right for your ear then they become almost unusable. So I hope the fit will be good. Also I see a lot of people running with these kind of earphones, and I always wonder if that feels nice or if they stay in your ears well enough. So I could test that out too.

Other Reviews
    These reviews are a bit older and they are in dutch. But I would use the same style for a Buds review, and I can do that in English :)
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/opo-review-mijn-one-ervaringen.39402/
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/op3-review-mijn-ervaringen.451282/

Fleming F. and script like this.
  5. AlienEye
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 10, 2020

AlienEye , via OnePlus 6 , Aug 10, 2020 :
    They cost more than 10k and provide 9hrs of playback time.
    Whereas buds costs 5k and 7hrs of playback time.
    Which is better??

6. E1597019018182 , via OnePlus 8 T-Mobile , Aug 10, 2020 :
    OnePlus Buds will blow what you know about the experience of sound out of the water and into space, as you travel to the true dimension of true quality.
    Start your journey with the OnePlus Buds by connecting them to your phone with Fast Pair.
    You are in control of your journey with customizable tap features that are literally at the tip of your finger for you to pause,move between tracks, wake up voice assistance,pressing longer to answer calls, and switch the device.
    From listening to music, watching a web series, or being a video game contender, you will hear the smooth transitions and low latency to keep you engage. OnePlus Buds tops all of it off with it's capacity of 30 hours of listening power. This means 7 hours of music alone when fully charged.* The Power Bank Charger can give the OnePlus Buds new life of up to 10 hours of listening,for only being charged for 10 minutes.*
    Great fit, grey or white for color choices,long lasting battery life,control at the tip of your finger, and Fast Pair, what's stopping you from being apart of this great experience with sound?

Shubham_Ag. likes this.
  7. rapires
    Cupcake Aug 10, 2020

rapires , Aug 10, 2020 :
    When we are talking about audio, I'm quite picky regarding context. At home (gaming or working) I can't live without my wireless SteelSeries. Isolation and mic is key. However, on the go, I can't go without portability and movement freedom, and that's where wireless earbuds are unbeatable.

I've read some reviews on the OnePlus Buds and they look quite promising.
    Appearing to be superior to the AirPods for a fraction of the price is already a good start :) I've never tried ANC on earbuds (my reference is SONY WH-1000XM3) and would love to be able to test-drive it. ANC benefits on earbuds size? Who wouldn't want that!?

Even though they started as a promising option, that doesn't mean I don't have some concerns. I'm used to earbuds with silicone tips for increased comfort and a secure feeling. Also, I love the tap controls, but I'll probably miss the volume control options.

That said, would love to take them for a spin, mainly on my daily commute, and build a real life review.

By the way, in the past, I was a founder, writer and photographer for PortugalStartups.com, where I was covering the Portuguese Startup Ecosystem. Here's my profile: https://portugalstartups.com/author/rafael/
    Not necessarily product review, but it shows some writing skills.

PS. I have some Product Management background that can be handy for this review.

8. youbi
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Aug 10, 2020

youbi , Aug 10, 2020 :
    Well, since I don't have the Buds I can't really make a proper review yet, but what I can say is that after I got my airpods almost 3 years ago the way I saw the earphones totally changed. before those ones I had lots of earphones (from various brands going from Sony, Xiaomi and even the wired bullets v1 and v2). But when I got the airpods the way I used my earphones changed completely.

Before, with the wired ones, it was something that I mostly used at home since it wasn't something easy to carry and the wires always got in the way. But with the TWS earphones and its small case (that would fit my jeans small pocket :hearteyes:), I could finally carry them always with me, and that really changed its daily use for me. Whenever I could, I would quickly just put them on and get absorbed to my private world with worrying what was around me. The usual boring waiting periods (for example for some Doctor appointment and such) were not boring anymore since I would just listen to my favorite songs or just enjoy my favorite shows on Netflix.

TWS really changed the earphones world, and I was waiting since long to see when OnePlus would finally join this trend. I got the wireless bullets v1 later on too, but the truth is that even though they sound better than the airpods, the convenience of the TWS ends up prevailing most times and I end up using much more the airpods.

If I get the chance to review the new buds, I will try to make a comparison between the 3, and see how this new form factor changes their daily use.

Ohh, and since I'm talking about the buds, I will shameless plug here my Being free playlist thread that I created when the buds were about to launch. What better way to properly enjoy your new buds than with some awesome new playlists to discover, and the truth is that some great ones have been shared there already. :)

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-buds-the-being-free-playlist.1258264/

9. Liehjan
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro Aug 10, 2020

Liehjan , Aug 10, 2020 :
    I would love to get my hands on a pair of buds... I wouldn't call myself a audiophile but a sucker for audio products. I use headphones for 4-6hrs a day and think I could write a really good review on the buds, as I know a thing of two about what makes a great audio product.

If you are looking for a honest review, hit me up with a pair and I'm all on it! :)

10. suhantm

suhantm , Aug 10, 2020 :
    @YRJ 💔🤣

razzor228 likes this.
  11. Horsault
    Moderator Moderator Aug 10, 2020

Horsault , Aug 10, 2020 :
    I don't have the buds either, but I'd really love to compare them with my other wired and wireless earphones I own.
    As I like true sound output, I bet I'll like to review Oneplus Buds!

12. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Aug 10, 2020

YRJ , Aug 10, 2020 :
    I'm not even kidding. That thing is GOLD. Like literally :hearteyes:
    The wires and then the snap, it just perfectly sets stage for what's coming ;)

razzor228 likes this.
  13. suhantm

suhantm , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 10, 2020 :
    @YRJ trueee to an extent...

YRJ likes this.
  14. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Moderator Moderator Aug 10, 2020

Maximus Decimus Meridius , Aug 10, 2020 :
    What a cool contest. I don't have my buds yet, but i'll order them somewhere this month. If available of course!
    Since they are not in my possession yet, i'll try to give my intake about why i order them and what i expect them to be, based on what we all know. (basic specifications, youtuber reviews, from what i hear personally and on the forums)

About me
    First, some people might know, i used a LOT of OnePlus devices and used most of their accessoires. But i warn you, you can't put me in the OnePlus fanboy corner because i have used lots of different brands as well.
    Phones: Xiaomi, Samsung, Nexus/Pixels, Apple. Also relevant: some of my favourite audio acccesories: Krk Rokit5's, Bose 3-2-1 series III, B&W 600 bookshelf speakers, Logitechs z5450, Aftershokz Titaniums, Lots of sony-headsets, OnePlus Bullets Wireless2 and some bluetooth speakers like UE megabooms, v-moda crossfade headset.

The Buds
    It was only a matter of time that OnePlus would release these "true wireless" earbuds since i see these types of earphones more and more in public.
    The buds should be replacing my OnePlus Wireless 2 headset. I wear them during sports, cycling, driving motorcycles (with under helmet), and randomly. Mostly for listening podcasts and music. So it is to keep me entertained during my daily commute and at these moments i'm not particularly affected by mediocre soundquality. Bluetooth headsets from around 40-150 are fine by me in THESE situations.

Expectations and things to be very judgemental about
    What i look for in next-generation-headsets is: user-convenience, of course without any big consessions in overall quality, appearance/style, sound quality.
    User-convenience is a big thing for me, but also hard to judge. The fit is important, but also how everything works, connects, batterylife or just other small functions.

Another thing i look very forward to, is how the charging/storage box will open and close. It will also be replacing my fidgetspinner.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020

Batman360 and Plenkske like this.
  15. Batman360

Batman360 , Aug 10, 2020 :
    I really like the first image!! 🔥🔥

razzor228 likes this.
  16. razzor228

razzor228 , Aug 10, 2020 :
    I am glad you liked it!:D

DarshanMeniya likes this.
  17. iharshjjain

iharshjjain , Aug 10, 2020 :
    Are Mods allowed to take part?

18. VivaanSunil
    Donut Aug 10, 2020

VivaanSunil , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 10, 2020 :
    OnePlus has, once again, decided to offer a total value for every penny that you decide to spend; true to their motto of 'Never Settle'. OnePlus Buds offer great sound quality at that price point. Bass could have been better, but that is not a complaint.

The fit is apt. Even after an hour of a phone call, you don't realise if you are wearing the buds or not. The design is such, that you are not really cut-off from your surroundings and can still communicate with others, with the buds on.
    Noise cancellation works well. Recommended, not to be compared with in-ear devices.

If you use a OnePlus phone, the battery levels of both buds and the case is displayed prominently in the bluetooth settings. iPhone users can see an overall average of battery levels, but nonetheless, the touch works well for receiving/ending calls and for skipping tracks. Customisation of this option is restricted to a OnePlus device only.
    OnePlus commits 30-hours battery and delivers, an usual with their products. Also, it charges very quickly so, frankly, you are never out of charge.

There was a lag observed sometimes while on a call with both android & iPhone, but hopefully that will get rectified in the next update. Again, not a deal-breaker.

Overall, an amazing offering at under 5k and highly advisable for someone who's looking for great quality at reasonable pricing. Never Settle.

19. SirLuckyBones
    Cupcake Aug 10, 2020

SirLuckyBones , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 10, 2020 :
    Would love to test them, because I am struggling buying them . I'm not very fan of the Design without silicon tips, but I have no problem to be teached a better way

20. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 10, 2020

luigimario , Aug 10, 2020 :
    Why not? Mods are people too! Don't discriminate! :p (they don't work for ONEPLUS so they are more than welcome to participate in contests).

yashwant24, iharshjjain and razzor228 like this.