Heart & Passion 1: Smooth Experience

1. Shawn L.
    Head of Product for Nord Staff Member Jul 16, 2020

Shawn L. , Jul 16, 2020 :
    _Working File Forum Post.png

From the moment I was old enough to use technology, I wanted to understand how it worked. I was born in China but ended up travelling the globe, working as a developer to help forge a path forward for meaningful industry innovations. As my love for technology matured, so too did my roles and responsibilities.

Today, I’m the Head of Product for OnePlus Nord. The role has challenged me in ways I never thought possible. But it’s also been the most rewarding of my career.

But enough about me, I want to tell you a little bit about the work myself and the team have done to make sure Nord packs the same Fast and Smooth experience that’s uniquely OnePlus.

Our team is hardworking, passionate, and has incredible expertise. But we just see ourselves as a group of people that care about delivering the best user experience possible. Throughout the development of Nord, we never stopped testing and tweaking every animation and interface element, so it just works the way you expect.

Of course, for a OnePlus device to be Fast and Smooth, it needs a high refresh rate display. We introduced our first 90 Hz display on the OnePlus 7 Pro last year. Since then, we’ve been working relentlessly to optimize our 90 Hz technology for the best user experience. One of the biggest improvements we’ve made has come from the touch response rate we’re able to achieve from our 90 Hz display technology. Touch sampling rate basically measures how fast a screen responds to your every touch, swipe, and scrolling gesture per second.

With Nord, we’ve upped its peak touch sampling rate from 135 Hz on the OnePlus 7T to 180 Hz for specific tasks like gaming, where the timing of every input can decide whether you finally take down a fearsome boss or succumb to its wrath once more.

In simple terms, once you try Nord’s 90 Hz display, there’s no going back.

One of the fundamental reasons OxygenOS feels so fast, smooth, and lightweight is because of our animations. Long story short, we spend a lot of time perfecting the littlest details. In fact, it took three months before we had lock screen animations we could stand behind – in total they last around three seconds, so there’s a chance you might not even notice them at first. But when the average person unlocks their phone over 100 times a day, having seamless animations suddenly becomes critical to delivering a Fast and Smooth experience across the board.

Software optimizations are essential for an incredible user experience. But hardware is just as vital. Nord is powered by the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 765G 5G Mobile Platform that packs powerful CPU speeds, GPU speeds, and has a dedicated AI engine onboard to better performance in a range of scenarios, such as gaming. We’ve also fitted Nord with up to 12 GB of RAM to ensure apps stay in the same place you left them when you’re swiping and scrolling through OxygenOS.

Finally, Nord offers the most seamless, helpful, and safest way to communicate with others thanks to its Google Comms Suite integration. Nord is the first OnePlus phone to come with Messages, Dialer, and Duo out the box.

Nord stays true to the OnePlus name by delivering the same Fast and Smooth experience that’s been a part of our DNA from the very beginning. We can’t wait for you to try it for yourself.

Here’s to New Beginnings.

2. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Jul 16, 2020

camohan , Jul 16, 2020 :
    Kudos to the team for bringing this in such a short span of time.
    However, I'm bit uncomfortable with the integration things that are forming part of the OxygenOS package.

3. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Jul 16, 2020

the_o2 , Jul 16, 2020 :
    Nice to know about you, few people gets the job they want.

That's impressive,
    Hope there will be headphone jack too, if it aims for gaming :)

That's overkill for a mid range phone, 12GB is too much hope the OS utilises the RAM and don't kill the process in background.

Hope it will get the same Android OS updates like the regular OnePlus devices.
    Thanks for the thread, and best wishes for launch :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020

4. Girish.Pranav
    Honeycomb Jul 16, 2020

Girish.Pranav , Jul 16, 2020 :
    Thanks for this amazing thread @Shawn L.! The 12GB RAM, 90Hz display and 5G compatibility for such a price point is making me want this phone, real bad. Also it's OnePlus, so there's no turning back.

Tanav_2903, Dresa91 and YRJ like this.
  5. Guhan reddy
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2020

Fleming F. and YRJ like this.
  6. Batman360
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2020

TibiTibi and Dresa91 like this.
  7. IshitaCaptain
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2020

8. Cakepips
    Honeycomb Jul 16, 2020

Cakepips , Jul 16, 2020 :
    Thanks for sharing this @Shawn L. !
    You can certainly feel the care and understanding being put into the Nord. Especially in a short and wacky space of time. :blush:
    Not long now...

Dresa91 likes this.
  9. HarshKK14
    Honeycomb Jul 16, 2020

HarshKK14 , via OnePlus 7 , Jul 16, 2020 :
    One request, please allow installing OnePlus Messages and Dialer app. I like OnePlus's apps more than the Google counterparts. Having Google dialer and messages make me feel bad already.

10. SeanPlus
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 16, 2020

SeanPlus , Jul 16, 2020 :
    I don't know what it is, but I'm really looking forward to this reveal (though there's not much left unknown). Maybe it's the slow build up, but I've been to every London launch event and it's not since the early years that I've been this excited.

Dresa91 likes this.
  11. G_Shalen_Mhatre_cflP
    Eclair Jul 16, 2020

Fleming F. likes this.
  12. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Jul 16, 2020

YRJ , Jul 16, 2020 :
    Thanks for the thread @Shawn L.
    I had the pleasure of meeting you and Oliver after the launch of the 6T, your passion and love for technology really shows. I wish to see you at another AMA, once offline events become a safe haven, ofcourse.

Wishing you and the team the best on this #NewBeginning :)

13. D1594904688006
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2020

D1594904688006 , Jul 16, 2020 :
    Hopefully it is priced below 25K....If it does then it's really gonna shake the market in India where the customers are price sensitive....

F1593884724193 likes this.

15. DarshanMeniya
    Honeycomb Jul 16, 2020

DarshanMeniya , Jul 16, 2020 :
    Hey @Shawn L. Congratulations for launching upcoming OnePlus Nord series and thank you for making it for us!

We user are also looking forward for #NewBeginnings with new OnePlus chapter. #OnePlusNord

Dresa91 likes this.
  16. palc
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 16, 2020

17. Techi1409
    Gingerbread Jul 16, 2020

Techi1409 , Jul 16, 2020 :

No Headphone Jack.

18. ashunk
    Honeycomb Jul 16, 2020

19. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2020

Swatiranjan and Dresa91 like this.