Heart & Passion 2: Camera

1. Simon Liu.
    Imaging Director Staff Member Jul 17, 2020

Simon Liu. , Jul 17, 2020 :
    HP_2_Forum Post copy.jpg

I’ve always believed the best way to find out how something works is to tear it apart. My biggest hobby is disassembling objects, studying their internal components, and putting them back together again. Naturally, this doesn’t always result in success – you don’t want to know how much stuff I’ve ended up breaking in my pursuit to establish a thorough understanding of the world around me.

I developed a profound interest in technology when I discovered things that couldn’t be disassembled – like cameras and chipsets that are not only exceptionally complex from a hardware perspective, but are also reliant on software to function properly.

Today, I’m part of the camera team for OnePlus Nord, working as the Imaging Director. The team and I are the ones that put every sensor through its paces in our labs and optimize performance on both a hardware and software level. Essentially, we make it easier for you to take incredible photos.

After months of product planning, internal discussions, and testing, we decided that Nord should have six cameras – four on the rear, and two on the front.

On the back of Nord you’ll find a 48 MP Sony IMX586 sensor, an 8 MP ultra wide angle, a 5 MP depth sensor, and a macro sensor.

Turning Nord over reveals a 32 MP main selfie camera and an additional ultra wide angle.

Selecting a main sensor for Nord was easy. We’ve been working with the Sony IMX586 for a while now – not only is the hardware superb thanks to its large f/1.75 aperture and optical image stabilization (OIS), but we’ve also developed a range of software enhancements for it that really make it incredible to use, such as fine-tuning its image processing in a range of scenarios.

Nord is also the first OnePlus phone to come with two selfie cameras. Accompanying the phone’s high-resolution 32 MP primary sensor is an ultra wide angle with a 105° field of view so you can fit in more people, or just take a really roomy-looking selfie. We decided to introduce this additional sensor as a response to feedback from our fans and participants in our Open Ears Forum.

Both of Nord’s front-facing cameras come with algorithms that automatically leverage the power of AI and long exposure technology to brighten up selfies and reduce noise in low light.

Nord’s also smart enough to detect when you have multiple people in a single shot and will ensure every face is clear and detailed, even those right at the back of a packed selfie.

Nord comes with one of the most diverse camera systems we’ve ever created at OnePlus and we can’t wait to see what you’re able to capture with it. Make sure to share your best shots with @OnePlusNord on Instagram.

Here’s to New Beginnings.

2. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Jul 17, 2020

camohan , Jul 17, 2020 :
    One of the important aspect of every phone is the camera. Counting on the camera capabilities here.

You got some interesting hobby Simon..!!

Looking forward to the 21st.

3. Dhruv Kashyap
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 17, 2020

Dhruv Kashyap , Jul 17, 2020 :
    Eagerly waiting to experience this vast camera setup, also the ultra wide camera on the front will be quite useful!
    @Simon Liu. Amazing Work [e]1f44c[/e]🌠[e]2728[/e][e]1f31f[/e]

4. SeanPlus

5. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jul 17, 2020

6. ars03
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2020

YRJ and Sushilgothu like this.
  7. ahuja_varun
    Honeycomb Jul 17, 2020

8. Shaikmusthafa
    Donut Jul 17, 2020

Shaikmusthafa , Jul 17, 2020 :
    Eagerly waiting for the camera setup that you had in the nord...And to experience the hard work you've gone through this month's.

sandi_developer, YRJ and Sushilgothu like this.
  9. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 17, 2020

10. SJBoss
    Lollipop Jul 17, 2020

SJBoss , Jul 17, 2020 :
    And break it. Great.

11. SaiVinodK
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2020

SaiVinodK , Jul 17, 2020 :
    Hey @Simon Liu. You really got a nice hobbie, great to hear about the camera as it the most important aspect in smartphones theses days.

Looking forward to experience the masterpiece

12. Cakepips

Cakepips , Jul 17, 2020 :
    Thanks for your in-depth look into the cameras Simon!

Honestly the cameras have intrigued me the most... I'm someone who constantly takes photos of the world around me so the set up appeals to me. ☺️

Can't wait to see the full reveal on 21st!

13. Akshay V Anil
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2020

sandi_developer and Sushilgothu like this.
  14. Deactivated User
    Jul 17, 2020

15. Girish.Pranav

YRJ and Sushilgothu like this.
  16. ion2910
    Honeycomb Jul 17, 2020

17. Sachination
    Donut Jul 17, 2020

18. Oreo.
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jul 17, 2020

Oreo. , via OnePlus 5 Midnight Black , Jul 17, 2020 :
    @Simon Liu. Probably no one else would relate as much as I do. I love disassembling stuffs and reassembling it again and when it works successful, that feeling of happiness is beyond the universe.

1594977856268.jpg

1594977856360.jpg

1594977856402.jpg
    Some of my teardown which I tried during Quarantine.

19. Ichbinharsh , via OnePlus Community App , Jul 17, 2020 :
    How to tag here bro ??[e]263a[/e]️

sandi_developer likes this.
  20. rajatkapoorrk
    Froyo Jul 17, 2020

rajatkapoorrk , Jul 17, 2020 :
    I guess OnePlus Nord will hit all the right spots.

•Amoled with 90 Hz Display
    •A Future proof 5G Processor (Snapdragon 765G)
    •Ram upto 12GB for blazing fast performance
    •Primary Camera of OnePlus 7 Pro (with OIS)
    •And last but not the least Oxygen OS based on Android 10.

Price is the only factor which will decide it's fate.
    I am damn sure, if they hit the right spot in that also, then it's gonna be a 2020 Best midrange flagship.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020

sandi_developer and fromsophie like this.