Heart & Passion 2: Camera

1. Praju.
    Gingerbread Jul 18, 2020

2. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 18, 2020

Dunnow , Jul 18, 2020 :
    Except that is not like that, it's a picture from an 8 pro, or a 7t or etc. It's not like iPhones or Google Pixels.

Dresa91 likes this.
  3. Neoharys.
    Donut Jul 18, 2020

Neoharys. , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 18, 2020 :
    It's camera is better than OP8, Nord might have an interior camera system than OP8.

4. ankitmaity
    Gingerbread Jul 18, 2020

ankitmaity , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 18, 2020 :

F_Bokor_Ádám_KIXQ

So the cheaper nord will have better camera setup than the flagship OP8 ...​

As an OP8 owner, I do feel disappointed in a certain way but to be quite honest, the real camera gap lies in the $999+ range now, cameras below that are mostly... similar. I find the move to macro and dropping a telephoto a terrible move, I don't think the ToF sensor is a big deal but dropping the telephoto AND not using a better sensor for their "light" flagship and using a better lineup in the budget range probably doesn't give a good separation of what product is meant for who - iPhone SE and iPhone 11's distinction for example, lies in the camera, display and battery, three very important things but OP blurring the lines here ensures that OP8 sales will be hugely undercut by Nord, I'd have bought Nord myself if my phone was almost not dying In any case, just my thoughts about the series.

5. kartikay_18
    Donut Jul 18, 2020

6. Neoharys.
    Donut Jul 18, 2020

Exactly my thoughts, as a OP8 owner I feel like I've been betrayed in a certain way. If the Nord has better camera setup than OP8 it would definitely be heartbreaking for me and I'm pretty sure many others. I although disagree with you on point that 2X optical zoom was a loss, to be honest the 2X digital is just as good if not better. Macro camera is still a failure though, after updates it's a lil better.

Neerajan, pkatole24 and ankitmaity like this.
  7. ankitmaity
    Gingerbread Jul 18, 2020

ankitmaity , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 18, 2020 :
    let's be honest, macro camera is a gimmick, a way to put the triple camera label, how often has anyone opened up their camera and wanted to take a macro shot, realistically its usage is none and the downgrade from telephoto was definitely a cost-cutting/profit-making measure. I hope the Nord owners enjoy their cameras, I'd probably understand this if the Nord was closer in price to OP8, in the lines of ~$100 but the current pricing makes the OnePlus 8 a worthless product in terms of bang vs. buck. Again, I chose to buy this despite knowing about Nord (I didn't know about the camera and obviously assumed it won't be the same rip) so it's on me 🤷‍♂️ to some extent.

8. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Jul 18, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Jul 18, 2020 :
    I meant it would be very mediocre, as it always used to be. That's what means a picture from OnePlus is picture from OnePlus by all means, cuz nothing changes with updates or even generations.

Just lots of camera marketing, promises annually by OnePlus.

I remember how awful became cameras on my old 3T after updates. I thought sth went wrong after I had dropped it once, but NO... At that time I decided to install Google Pixel camera apk and found that hardware was OK, just OnePlus camera algorithms became bullshit, especially for the front camera. Then they released OnePlus 5 with pretty nice front camera (main ones gave only watercolor shit) in comparison with stock 3T camera and I understood, that OnePlus marketing is damn marketing. What they did with OnePlus 5 camera later was another story.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020

Dresa91 likes this.
  9. pkatole24
    Eclair Jul 18, 2020

pkatole24 , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 18, 2020 :
    True....Nord is making OP8 customers like us feel betrayed and thus they're hurting their own fanbase.They should have at least launched Nord few months later than this. Nord is just top similar to the 8 and nobody would even consider the 8 over this. The iPhone SE appeals to a whole different set of customers other than their flagships and so it doesn't hurt their flagship sales. Maybe OP is making a complete transition to the midrange segment now.

Neoharys. likes this.
  10. Neoharys.
    Donut Jul 18, 2020

I agree, the macro camera is just a gimmick. I guess they didn't wanted to go back to two camera setup when lower mid-range phones offer a 3 and even 4 camera setup. I love macro photography, I would've loved it if the macro camera actually did it's job.

11. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Jul 18, 2020

TibiTibi , Jul 18, 2020 :
    I hope the camera app will take out the max from that camera setup.
    Looking forward 🖐️

morpheus566, Dresa91 and script like this.
  12. Varunkan
    Cupcake Jul 19, 2020

13. Akshaysrao1+
    Froyo Jul 19, 2020

14. ankitmaity
    Gingerbread Jul 19, 2020

ankitmaity , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 19, 2020 :
    It says IMX586 in the post, so definitely not. You'd have to make quite a loss to give it the OP8 Pro camera under 500$, if it's ~400$ USD so to say.

15. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jul 19, 2020

Dunnow , Jul 19, 2020 :
    Yes, still, video on the 8pro is leaps ahead of the 7series, you also have more control on lenses and all. Video focustfocus as well, thats one thing we requested from de open ears forum last year... I just wish this was backported to older capable models

Dresa91 likes this.
  16. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Jul 19, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Jul 19, 2020 :
    I wish for the same, however I just hope it won't get worse than what it's now.

17. Harichand_Raghavan
    The Showcase Reviewer Jul 19, 2020

Harichand_Raghavan , via OnePlus 5 , Jul 19, 2020 :
    So the main thing that everyone asked for ,the camera is been addressed finally.Glad to see that more effort is put in the camera side than the speed which we usually associate OnePlus with.Cheeerrrsss

18. Roadstar
    Froyo Jul 19, 2020

Roadstar , Jul 19, 2020 :
    Nah. Even if I'm trying my best to be optimistic that it's not all empty promises yet again, I can't really be surprised if the camera turns out to be rubbish after all. Being a Finn, you just can't avoid having that underlying pessimism at the back of your mind even though you're trying to remain positive for a change. So I'm not going to say straight away that the Nord cameras won't be as good as they promise but instead of that I hope they'll really make it this time. However, if they do end up botching it yet again, I'm not going to be surprised. I'll just give a sigh and mutter "but of course".

divyam_raghunath likes this.
  19. divyam_raghunath
    Cupcake Jul 20, 2020

divyam_raghunath , via OnePlus 7 , Jul 20, 2020 :
    I don't really think that Nord's camera is going to be amazing mainly because of history of OnePlus having great camera hardware and poor camera software processing. The OnePlus series was supposed to have the same camera software processing but because the OnePlus 8 comes at a lower price than the Pro, you degraded the OnePlus 8's camera. So I'm expecting that Nord's camera software processing is going to be even poor than the OnePlus 8.