Heart & Passion 3: Design and Quality

1. Hope L.
    Chief Designer Staff Member Jul 18, 2020

Hope L. , Jul 18, 2020 :
    HP3_Forum.jpg

Design is my north star – but that doesn’t mean my journey to OnePlus was a straightforward one. At first, I thought of creativity as just another way to express my emotions – it wasn’t until I went to university that I discovered the true power of design comes from its ability to help people and solve problems, particularly in the technology industry. So, I dropped my paintbrush and decided to dedicate my passion and expertise towards building new, exciting, and innovative products. I truly believe design is the best combination of ideas and technology.

We knew we were going to make a more affordable OnePlus phone about a year ago. The first stage of any design process is sketching out ideas on paper and aligning what kind of product we were going to make. I’m going to be honest, I lost track of how many Nord prototypes we went through before we agreed on its final design. Some were a little garish, others were a bit wacky, and others didn’t meet the kind of quality standards we’ve set ourselves at OnePlus.

Throughout the design process we were guided by our users. We held various focus groups to get feedback on early Nord prototypes that influenced our final build. Initially we experimented with a variety of different design elements for Nord’s camera, but users told us they wanted something simple and functional. So that’s exactly what we delivered.

Sure, Nord’s a more affordable product line – but that didn’t change our design and manufacturing process one bit. Nord is a OnePlus phone, so it’s built the OnePlus way. Nord’s design adheres to OnePlus' design philosophy – simple and rational, elegant with a high-end texture, and slightly rebellious. I don’t see Nord as a “lower end” OnePlus phone, and neither should you.

Naturally, we can’t talk about Nord’s design without touching on colors. The team and I think colors are one of the most important parts of any smartphone design. Color shows off character, occupation, attitude, lifestyle, and the true you.

Just like the designs themselves, we experimented with a multitude of different finishes for Nord before we ended up with the Gray Onyx and Blue Marble you see today. In fact, we adjusted the shade of blue 60 times before we had something we were truly happy with. For a bit of added context, one color adjustment can take up to three days after work has been carried out by a designer and supplier.

Nord in Blue Marble is reflective, striking, and smooth to the touch while Gray Onyx has a metallic finish under the glass. With Nord, we wanted our colors to be reflective of the natural world and humanistic attributes.

Of course, a design can’t be truly appreciated until you see it up close, examine its intricacies, and touch it for the first time. We can’t wait for you to get your hands on Nord.

Here’s to New Beginnings.

2. palc
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 18, 2020

palc , via OnePlus 3 Graphite , Jul 18, 2020 :
    Should I continue here the recent instagram trend of people commenting "first" under every post?

Either way, such a nice read! [e]1f44d[/e] Good to know, through these series of posts, the steps involved in the complex process of making a smartphone.

Edit: Having full pictures - cropped parts of which were posted on insta - would be awesome! Can we get them too?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020

3. Mohamed Abubacker Sithick
    Eclair Jul 18, 2020

Hope L. and sandi_developer like this.
  4. Akshay V Anil
    Gingerbread Jul 18, 2020

5. ahuja_varun
    Honeycomb Jul 18, 2020

6. ars03
    Gingerbread Jul 18, 2020

sandi_developer likes this.
  7. SWAPPYONE
    Honeycomb Jul 18, 2020

8. Optimus_Prime_07
    Honeycomb Jul 18, 2020

Optimus_Prime_07 , via OnePlus 3 , Jul 18, 2020 :
    Can't wait to hold the phone soon!! HYPE is going beyond the limit🤩😎. It's makes so premium to hold a OnePlus phone in hands without cover. I guarantee that any other phone can give you that feeling.🥰

9. SeanPlus

SeanPlus , Jul 18, 2020 :
    Thanks for giving us this insight into the design process @Hope L.

If there's no difference in specs it's going to be tough choosing between the two colours. Hopefully Oneplus will release some high quality photos at or before launch.

10. V1594992149116
    Cupcake Jul 18, 2020

V1594992149116 , Jul 18, 2020 :
    Already came... next fourth

11. fromsophie
    Honeycomb Jul 18, 2020

fromsophie , via OnePlus 5 , Jul 18, 2020 :
    Really good to hear more about the colours in this post. I think I'm leaning towards the Grey one at the moment but will be nice to see more pictures of the phone in both colours

12. Sachination
    Donut Jul 18, 2020

Sachination , via OnePlus 5 , Jul 18, 2020 :
    Heart and Passion it is for the design team as was seen in the Nord Documentary as well. Great dedication from the design team[e]270c[/e]️

14. HarshKK14
    Honeycomb Jul 18, 2020

15. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 18, 2020

18. Batman360
    Lollipop Jul 18, 2020

19. Cakepips

Cakepips , Jul 18, 2020 :
    Thanks for this insight into the design of the Nord @Hope L. ! The design of the Nord looks fab!

Interesting fact behind the blue colour... If my maths is correct it took around 75 days to get it right? (I'm terrible at maths)

Also "the true power of design comes from its ability to help people and solve problems"... I agree! :grin:(going to keep that in mind)

sandi_developer, TibiTibi and Dresa91 like this.
  20. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Jul 18, 2020

Hope L., sandi_developer and Dresa91 like this.