Helder_DAlmeida´s OnePlus 9 Pro Review

1. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Jul 25, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida , Jul 25, 2021 :
    1654322-b9d56c932264ae50d8da3de7cf2d6edf.png

Hello OnePlus community!

Before I start I want to thank my wife Bia for everything, my good friend Hugo for proofreading the English, @YRJ for making the banner & charts, and Wormhole for your support!

Introduction
    The new flagship from OnePlus began to be talked about long before its official presentation, as a partnership was leaked with the Hasselblad brand, famous for the first pictures taken on the moon and of course for the extremely high price of their photo cameras.
    From that moment on, OnePlus generated hype on how it would revolutionize the world of photography on mobile phones. But is that really what happened? And will OnePlus take advantage of this hype that was created around the partnership? Are these photos the best we can expect on mobile? Is OnePlus 9 Pro one of the best smartphones available for Android? These and other questions I will try to answer during this review.

As I know that for many of you time is very precious, TLDR, here's the summary:

Pros
    + A beautiful and gorgeous phone in which the classic and modern design of the camera bump can be summed up as Superb!
    + The adaptive AMOLED QHD + 120Hz curved screen is beautiful!
    + Performance is top with Qualcomm's Snapdragon 888
    + Top cameras
    + Warp Charge 65
    + OxygenOS

Cons
    - Battery doesn't last until the end of the day
    - The selfie camera

OnePlus 9 Pro Specifications
    1657724-1a6cf57a2fc73bbf5b064206cb566d23.png
    1657725-078ab9dfb20bffcb7f615edb384e2889.png
    1658690-523930743b3ee29c22fbd8557cdf8291.png

The Price tag
    Selling price is always a key consideration when choosing a new smartphone. I bought the Morning Mist 8GB RAM / 128GB Storage version for €929 but if I opted for the 12GB RAM / 256 Storage version I needed another €100, a total of €1029. For these values what's out off the box? The OnePlus 9 Pro, Warp Charge 65 Power Adapter and Warp Charge Type-C to Type-C Cable and the free protection case.

DSC_0395.JPG
    OnePlus is directly competing with the "sharks" Samsung and Apple. Althoug the price is still a little lower. In certain countries, the price difference increase, as in the Indian market the device is more affordable. In Portugal is more expensible unfortunately (its unfair!)

Unboxing
    The experience of unboxing a OnePlus product is always breathtaking and this time it was no different. The case is elegant and with a touch that makes us immediately feel that we are in the presence of something very special. References to the new partnership with Hasselblad do not go unnoticed, quite the contrary, they are in plain sight! Inside, everything is properly packaged, from the OnePlus 9 Pro, the charger with the famous red cable, the welcome letter (and all the papers that nobody ever reads), the protective case and the SIM Tray Ejector. This time I missed the LOGO Stickers (I hope they will be included again in the near future).
    Screenshot_20210724-235007.jpg

Design and Display

By taking the OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist out of the box and taking the plastic that surrounds it, from that moment on, I can't explain in words how beautiful and spectacular it is! It's amazing the color with this mirror-like finish! Only from this moment did I understand why OnePlus sent most influencers this color, because it is simply masterful!
    The build quality is quite good and the device is quite solid, the size for me is perfect and the slightly curved screen gives it an even more premium feel (yes I like the slightly curved screen and no, I don't have any kind of problems playing or using it on a daily basis!). The weight is very well distributed and we don't start to “feel” the weight even after a long time of use. And how thin is it?! I don't know how they do it, but congratulations to OnePlus!
    DSC_0488.JPG

The camera module is great and when you're watching it live it's even prettier when you're looking at videos and photos. The style is classic yet modern at the same time and the end result is a very elegant and elitist camera module proudly showing the partnership with Hasselblad. The color that surrounds the module is almost a matte that I can't quite explain, but it makes a spectacular contrast with the Morning Mist's mirror finish.
    DSC_0418.JPG

The OnePlus 9 Pro's screen is of great quality, with very bright colors and spectacular deep blacks! The adaptive 120 hz refresh rate brings fluidity and at the same time battery savings. How fantastic it is to scroll on this phone!
    Something that I found strange and honestly I can't understand is the fact that it comes factory-configured to FHD+ resolution... Does this situation make sense for any of you?! I'm sure not!
    The screen calibration comes by default in vivid and that's what I use. For those who want it is possible through the advanced setting to configure the type of colors you like the most.
    I couldn’t go on without mentioning the fact that the AOD option is finally available.
    For the gamers who are reading, Hyper Touch provides a low touch slowcy, that is, it speeds up communication between the touch on the screen and the processor. Where you will notice the biggest difference will be in games. I get the feeling that my inputs have less delay. In day-to-day use did you notice a difference? No.
    The bezels are practically minimal at the top and bottom and then the curved screen does the rest on the sides producing a full screen effect .
    For those who are going to use the 9 Pro morning mist without a case, you will have to be careful as it is quite slippery when being handled. Another situation is the fact that it is a fingerprint magnet and requires constant cleaning of the rear panel.
    DSC_0447.JPG
    The fingerprint reader is under the screen, but this time, near the bottom of the device which might be a little strange for many OnePlus users, as the sensors of the latest models are located a little higher up. I had no difficulty in adapting to this new positioning of the fingerprint reader, but it required getting used to.
    The haptics engine is really amazing in this OnePlus 9 Pro.
    DSC_0419.JPG

Cameras

This was the major complaint from the OnePlus community and finally its members were heard! This 3-year partnership with Hasselblad was born. According to OnePlus, this tight collaboration with Hasselblad allowed it to have, among others, a technology called Natural Color Calibration.
    There are more innovations such as the freeform lens (lack of distortion in the ultra wide) , the new Nightscape Mode and a 3.3x optical and 30x digital zoom.
    DSC_0475.JPG
    The 48 MP main camera with the Sony IMX789 sensor capable of taking 12 bit RAW photography. On the video level it offers up to 8k 30 FPS in 16:9 format and 4K 120 FPS in 16:9 format. If you want to shoot in 21:9 format, the most you'll get is 60 FPS. In slow motion, two modes are available, 1080p 240FPS and 720P 480FPS.
    The simply amazing ultrawide has 50MP with the sensor also from Sony the IMX766 with a freeform lens, which allows us to take pictures without that distortion effect of the wide angles.
    The telephoto lens is 8MB with OIS and allows us to have 3.3X optical zoom. With what the competition offers in terms of optical zoom with their telephotos, we are somewhat limited.
    DSC_0454.JPG

That brings us to the infamous 2MP monochrome sensor (Whaaaat?!) I don't see any use for this camera, and forgive those who defend it with “nails and teeth” Drop this uselessness and invest a little more in telephoto, right OnePlus?!
    The selfie camera takes some decent selfies but it's not amazing. As far as the video chapter is concerned, it only makes 1080p, which seems to be insufficient for a mobile phone with a high price. If you want to make Vlogs with the OnePlus 9 Pro, the quality of your video will be average - bad.
    I have no doubt that the 9 Pro has raised the bar in the photo department!
    I share some photos that i take so that you can draw your own conclusions about its quality. No edit.
    IMG_20210701_094653_Bokeh.jpg
    IMG_20210701_095115.jpg
    IMG_20210702_072830.jpg IMG_20210705_121931.jpg IMG_20210706_075740.jpg IMG_20210713_181901.jpg IMG_20210713_181909.jpg IMG_20210713_181917.jpg IMG_20210715_233203.jpg IMG_20210716_213722.jpg IMG_20210720_204428 (1).jpg IMG_20210721_222905.jpg
    IMG_20210719_111039.jpg

Here's the link to some small video samples. In the future I will update with more videos when the issue with the 8k recording is resolved.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18oweSXRTX3deeqGlBuuiPqdZf1XAXPKS?usp=sharing

Sound
    The quality of the Stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos is very good.
    Screenshot_20210725-005131.jpg

Battery life and charging

The OnePlus 9 Pro comes with a 4500mHA battery and I think it should be a little bigger. In my daily use, before returning home I’m always forced to charge the battery a little.
    How many Screen On Time? On average 4 hours of SOT and the battery is in the remaining 15%. Then comes the super fast Warp Charge 65 T and booooom, from 15% to 100% in just 25 minutes? WOW!
    From the tests I did I got the following results:
    - Charging from 14% battery to 63% battery in 13 minutes;
    - Charge from 5% battery to 100% battery in 31 minutes;
    - Charging from 03% battery to 100% battery in 34 minutes;

Using the Warp Charge 50 wireless:

Charging from 15% battery to 100% in 52 minutes;

Charging from 25% battery to 80% in 34 minutes.

I personally love the simplicity of being able to leave the phone in the wireless charger, without having to worry about connecting the cable and then the phone is lying down etc... Not forgetting the aesthetic part, as the 9 Pro is imposing in the room showing all its beauty. And is this worth paying €69.99 more? Hmm well... for me the answer is yes, but for users who are only interested in charging the phone, as quickly as possible, it's not worth it.
    DSC_0473.JPG

Android 11 & OxygenOS 11

The OnePlus 9 Pro comes out of the box prepared with the latest version of Android 11. The OnePlus skin OxygenOs also comes in its latest version 11. As we all know, OxigenOS has always been known for its very close user experience of the Android stock, but is it still like that? When OxigenOs11 was presented, it was not consensual within the OnePlus community. Of course, everyone has their own opinion, their particular taste. I personally love this new OxygenOs 11, the way the menus are arranged, the colors, the ability to customize everything and the gestures, my friends, the gestures, I can't imagine using my mobile phone without using gesture navigation and shortcuts! All interaction with the mobile phone is harmonious and seamless contributing to a fantastic experience in this OnePlus 9 Pro!
    DSC_0430_1.JPG

Gaming

As I'm a mobile gamer, I couldn't avoid bringing you my analysis regarding how the playing experience is on the OnePlus 9 Pro. I currently have installed Call of Duty, Asphalt 9 and Street Fighter and I play all of them on maximum settings, and the performance is fantastic!
    Call Of Duty is so fast and fluid! I assure you that the gameplay is fantastic, allowing hours of fun at a frenetic pace! For car lovers Asphalt 9 is where you'll drain your 9 Pro's battery. With stunning graphics and furious speed, we have at our fingertips the perfect recipe for hours of pure fun.
    DSC_0458.JPG

5G

The OnePlus 9 Pro supports the new 5G technology but unfortunately in Portugal there is still no 5G network and it probably won't be a reality before 2022, so I won't be able to do tests on the speed of downloads and uploads, as well as energy consumption.
    If you are thinking of buying this phone to take advantage of the new 5G technology, inform yourself in advance if the 9 Pro bands are the ones you have available in your Country and if the carriers recognize and support OnePlus.
    DSC_0466.JPG

Issues

What issues do I have on my OnePlus 9 Pro?

The phone has the alert slider in vibrating mode, someone calls me and for half a second the phone starts ringing and stops immediately. As it doesn't always happen, it's not that annoying but I hope it gets resolved. After the 11.2.8.8LE15BA update this issue continues

Superheating is a reality and watching a video on Youtube raises the temperature like if we are playing a game! After the 11.2.8.8LE15BA update this issue was resolved

Another slightly more serious bug that happens in the camera app when I'm filming in 8k and taking some pictures at the same time I'm shooting the video. When I stop recording and, for example, I go to the main page, the system is extremely slow and laggy, then the background I have automatically changes to the default one. Then the problem gets worse because the video is not saved, which can cause a great inconvenience if we are recording an important moment. Until the moment I published this review this issue was still unresolved. After the 11.2.8.8LE15BA update this issue continues but the video is always recorded.

The screen protector that comes pre-applied did not last more than 2 weeks of use as you can see from the photo below.

DSC_0505.JPG

Conclusion
    The launch of the OnePlus 9 Pro was a bit “troubled”, largely because the software needed to be refined as it still has many bugs, a situation that I hope OnePlus will review for the next product releases. As it stands it sends a message of an incomplete product when it was launched on the market.
    This time the hype created by OnePlus due to the partnership with Hasselblad I think it turned out to be a little “harmful” because it created an expectation that it would be a mobile photography revolution and it wasn't. With this premium design, Qualcomm's 888, screen, good cameras, fast charging and OxygenOS, the OnePlus 9 Pro is one of the best smartphones for Android right now. I've seen the global version of 9 Pro on sale for €750 making it still a perfect purchase when it comes to quality/ price!
    In the future, OnePlus will have to rethink the 1080p selfie camera which is already outdated, at least 4k is required! A battery with a little more capacity and software with less bugs at launch and updates as often as OnePlus used to in the past and it will be perfect.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021

2. WakeAwake
    KitKat Jul 25, 2021

WakeAwake , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Nice review @Helder_DAlmeida 🙂. Cool pictures 😎😎🆒🆒🆒

But i would like to see some video samples i guess the bug didn't let you save them?

i think thats been a case with all screen protectors from out of the box for a while now even my Nord screen protector is the same although i managed to keep using it untill now i plan to change ot once i get home later.

3. northbay5566
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2021

4. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Jul 25, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Thanks WakeAwake!
    I'm waiting to see if the issue with the 8k record will be corrected, becouse this isn't happen always and there is times it records the video other's no.
    You can check it i upload some video samples

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021

Gor.V, atenaa, Dresa91 and 3 others like this.
  5. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Jul 25, 2021

Gor.V, atenaa, Dresa91 and 3 others like this.
  6. eastbay
    Lollipop Jul 25, 2021

eastbay , via OnePlus 9 Pro T-Mobile , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Helder, you did a fantastic job with your review on the OnePlus9pro.. I couldn't have done that you were very articulate and right on the money. I'm wondering if you took freshman writing 101. B4 putting all of this together great job!! Also love all your pictures.. Thanks again for a wonderful review.. Tony

7. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Jul 25, 2021

Thank you Tony! 😀👍

northbay5566, apatil22, Gor.V and 6 others like this.
  8. northbay5566
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2021

WakeAwake, atenaa, Dresa91 and 4 others like this.
  9. RacerZ
    KitKat Jul 25, 2021

10. Shailender Sharma
    Nougat Jul 25, 2021

Shailender Sharma , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Very well written @Helder_DAlmeida✌️👏
    An honest review is always welcome from a Wormie.❣️
    Have you applied for the recents OnePlus Labs? You could do the justice with your writing skills. ✌️

11. Karun Deep
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2021

Karun Deep , via OnePlus 6T , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Well nice review helder, clicks look great
    I am still using pre applied screen protector for my 6T. It has been more than two years I had started using it and I can see few scratches on it. But it had not came out.

12. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jul 25, 2021

Dresa91 , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Wow Helder:)
    Thank you for this detailed and great review 👍🏼👏🏼

northbay5566, McJader, SRD. and 5 others like this.
  13. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Jul 25, 2021

Thank you RacerZ! 👍
    Thank you Shailender! 👍
    Yes I tried for the lab but I think I don't have that much writing ability and I'm not a photography professional, I'll hardly be chosen there is plenty more candidates with more skills than me.
    Thank you Karun! 👍
    Maybe it's becouse of the curved display? I don't know.... But it has started to came out unfortunately.
    Thank you Dresa! 👍

Gor.V, atenaa, WakeAwake and 3 others like this.
  14. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jul 25, 2021

Dresa91 , Jul 25, 2021 :
    :) 🤗

15. Karun Deep
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2021

Karun Deep , via OnePlus 6T , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Yeah may be due to curved display only.

16. NShankaraN
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2021

NShankaraN , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Nice review Helder
    I had that heating issue with YouTube initially but it got resolved with recent updates
    But as you told OP should seriously work on reducing bugs in the sw at the time of launch

17. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Jul 25, 2021

YRJ , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Waoh! There are some excellent shots here. Why didn't you send it to me before. :rolleyes:

18. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Jul 25, 2021

Gor.V, atenaa, Dresa91 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Jul 25, 2021

Thanks NShankaraN! 👍🙂
    I think 🤔 is unacceptable this, i bouth the device and receive it 29 June and this issue's continues to exists... It's a lot of time... I only could imagine the issue's after the launch... Unacceptable.

Gor.V, NShankaraN, atenaa and 2 others like this.
  20. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Jul 25, 2021

Sorry 🙏 for that my friend. 🙏
    I had thought of using these photos for the body of the review, for that reason I didn't share it with you.

Kleb32, Gor.V, atenaa and 4 others like this.