HELP bricked OnePlus 6

1. Dhruv_J Cupcake Jun 25, 2019

Dhruv_J, Jun 25, 2019 :
    Hi, I need help with my bricked OP6 asap please.

Issue: Phone touchscreen started spazzing out after dipping it in the sink to wash out. Thought it was no issue, just left it to dry. Came back a few mins later, and the touchscreen just kept having phantom touches and not recognizing some of my touches in certain parts of the screen only. I decided to try turning the phone off and letting it dry for an hour or so. Afterward the phone would turn on and get stuck on the pause boot screen that always shows if your bootloader is unlocked, but it wouldn't boot to system. I turned it off and just let it sit for a while. After sometime it would randomly reboot and show this screen

Image: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tve7sQnPxLKBUTG6A

It shows wlan or At and a bunch of chinese characters

Now my phone just vibrates with the screen off. The screen will not turn on no matter how many combinations of power and volume buttons I hold. The screen is off and the phone vibrates every 30 seconds.

I have no idea what to do, it might be water damage, but I've washed my phone in the sink numerous times and I've read that Oneplus uses the same waterproof seal as other IP rated phones and just didn't do the certifications.Please help me, thanks.

2. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jun 25, 2019

buntycubal and Kytharsis like this.
  3. jasemanONE Froyo Jun 25, 2019

Kytharsis likes this.
  4. Max.Mar Jelly Bean Jun 25, 2019

Max.Mar, Jun 25, 2019 :
    In the Chinese letter it say "Fucckk You" since you dunk it in the sink.

Kytharsis, B_Wrath and luigimario like this.
  5. LegolasX Jelly Bean Jun 26, 2019

LegolasX, Jun 26, 2019 :
    well done, now go pay for your stupidity as well as parts to get it repaired in service center.
    or buy a new device.
    OnePlus users never cease to amaze.

6. luigimario The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jun 26, 2019

luigimario, Jun 26, 2019 :
    Maybe try drying it out in a bag of rice for a week and see if that can save it. Seriously though, ip rating or not, electronics and water don't mix. Even phones with ip ratings don't warranty water damage.

7. Priyanshu Sharma Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 26, 2019

Priyanshu Sharma, Jun 26, 2019 :
    The water sealing which protects water from getting inside degrades overtime so it may not be protected as like when it was new.. You know rubber type of things starts tearing after sometime if you generally heat it and cool it... It may be equal to IP Rating but even those don't provide warranty for water damage... Don't put your phone in water unless there is a need to... You know electronic items hate water... Keep your phone in dry rice for around two days and check if it works or not...

8. JAGADISH BHATTA Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 26, 2019

JAGADISH BHATTA, Jun 26, 2019 :
    WOW! This phone is not IP68 rated and you washed your phone :D:p with water even with IP68 rating no company will fix your phone for free.
    Take it to service center if they charge you more then get a new phone most probably a IP68 rated phone.

9. ngydat KitKat Jun 26, 2019

ngydat, Jun 26, 2019 :
    I'm doing my best right now to avoid commenting on what you did...

Anyway, the only thing you can do is to go pay a visit to a service center (assuming there are in your country) and ask for a repair which you'll pay at your own expenses (since it's clearly your fault)

buntycubal likes this.
  10. tide1109 Honeycomb Jun 26, 2019

11. malidan Marshmallow Jun 26, 2019

malidan, Jun 26, 2019 :
    Well the phone was officially sold as water resistant, it was listed on the OP website
    It then changed to Splash proof and then there was nothin, I guess at that point they had sold enough devices on the back of.

False advertising always leads to someone making the mistake of believing.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019

12. Priyanshu Sharma Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 26, 2019

Priyanshu Sharma, Jun 26, 2019 :
    Well, its still there... Check the website again...

1561573468499.jpg

There is nothing like false marketing... It's clearly mentioned there...

1561573543318.jpg

Even IP Rated phones don't provide warranty for water damage devices!! You should also keep this in mind...

malidan, buntycubal and Kytharsis like this.
  13. Kytharsis Marshmallow Jun 26, 2019

buntycubal likes this.
  14. malidan Marshmallow Jun 26, 2019

malidan, Jun 26, 2019 :
    Wow they left it in the specs in India, is it there for the 6T also?
    As I noticed there was no mention of water resistance whatsoever on the T-Mobile link also

https://www.oneplus.com/6t/specs

Nobody provides a warrenty for certification because you cannot gaurentee the state of the device, but OP certification means it passed an independent test and it's not some special sent out to a Youtuber.