Help! My 3T is suddenly encrypted!?

1. Kaleidocore Eclair Apr 17, 2019

Kaleidocore, Apr 17, 2019 :
    I have a crisis on my hands here, please help me out.

I just took out my 3T from the bag and it was stuck in a weird looking lockscreen, asking for a PIN.

"To start Android, enter your PIN"

Obviously I tried my PIN, and every other PIN I've ever used, and none of them are working. I tried rebooting into recovery and it's again asking for a PIN I don't know - it seems to try to decrypt the phone after entering the PIN, but it fails?? To my knowledge the phone has never even been encrypted!?
    • I had been using it to take a photo just minutes before.
    • The phone has never been unrooted.
    • It was always on stock OTA, whichever that was.
    I have almost a year worth of photos of my newborn son on this phone, I don't care about the phone itself but I really, REALLY need to recover the photos! Any help or ideas would greatly appreciated! What the hell happened?!

Bintang12 likes this.
  2. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Apr 17, 2019

pablofg1978, Apr 17, 2019 :
    All android phones are encrypted since Android 6.0

otto2 likes this.
  3. Kaleidocore Eclair Apr 17, 2019

OK, I never noticed, and I've never been asked about this PIN before. What can I do??

If it's of any help, my e-mail adress is displayed in the lockscreen message.

4. pablofg1978 Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Apr 17, 2019

pablofg1978, Apr 17, 2019 :
    If you can't remember the pin there is nothing you can do.

otto2 likes this.
  5. Kaleidocore Eclair Apr 17, 2019

Of course I remember my PIN - the problem is it's not working, and I've never seen this lockscreen before.

6. Sujknair Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 17, 2019

Sujknair, Apr 17, 2019 :
    Try restarting the phone, then reentering your pin. You may have to attempt multiple times. ive encountered a pin code error before, similar to your case, except for the email address part.

7. Kaleidocore Eclair Apr 17, 2019

That was the first thing I tried, unsuccessfully. Do I have a limited number of attempts? I can't see a counter anywhere!
    As for the email address, I've always had it in the lockscreen message should the phone ever get lost...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019

8. Simon. Froyo Apr 17, 2019

Simon., Apr 17, 2019 :
    Try with the default pin 0000 or 1234. Idk if it works, but it's worth a try.

9. abhibnl Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 17, 2019

abhibnl, Apr 17, 2019 :
    This is really weird tbh. Also, the OP3/T are encrypted by default so if you've never unrooted it, it's still encrypted.
    Now while I can suggest to take daily backup of your important pics to an external device, I would prefer that you try to put default password as suggested above: 0000. If this pin doesn't work, I am out of ideas. It has never happened to me.

10. Sujknair Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 17, 2019

Sujknair, Apr 17, 2019 :
    Nah. Ive pretty much had to do multiple restarts just to get it to accept my pin. Particularly scary when it once occured after an OTA. Thought it had erased everything. You just have to keep entering the same damn pin multiple times, then restarting if it doesnt work. There is no limit to the number of times you can type in the pin, unless you have set it AFAIK.

Although,when it occurs in recovery, sometimes it gives a prompt saying to restart, to boot to android, once ive keyed in the pin enough times. That works too.

11. athaarv Jelly Bean Apr 17, 2019

athaarv, Apr 17, 2019 :
    That's strange. Did you restore a NAND Backup recently? If so, that's probably why you're getting the problem. If you can still access TWRP, you have to delete a few files from the system called something along the lines of lockscreen.db

Do Google the problem and you'll find threads telling you exactly what to delete and from which directory. This is only if you can get into TWRP though.

Secondly, did you backup any of your photos to Google photos? If so you can always recover them that way. Otherwise, I believe you're out of options.

Also, yes there's a limited amount of times you can try entering your pin, and after a certain amount of times your device will attempt to factory reset but likely fail and this is when the counter for the number of trials left may start to go down to negative numbers. It's a strange bug, but that happened to me once.

Finally, if you do end up factory resetting everything in the end, as soon as you set up your phone again, root it, install Disk Digger Recovery almost immediately, grant root access and run a recovery through which you may be able to recover a lot of the photos. It's a great app.

12. EpicCon Eclair Apr 17, 2019

EpicCon, Apr 17, 2019 :
    try clearing "cache" in recovery mode or if that didn't work try dirty flashing the official firmware do not format tho maybe that can solve the issue it's just a suggestion tho I'm not entirely sure if it will solve ur issue but worth a try .

13. manimaarans Honeycomb Apr 17, 2019

manimaarans, Apr 17, 2019 :
    Hi, this happened with my friend and had been forced to format the phone. when I did the set-up I don't remember setting up a pin. was it a mandatory step while setting up the phone because mine is also encrypted

14. Aman Singh gurjar Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 18, 2019

Aman Singh gurjar, Apr 18, 2019 :
    That is certainly not true , mine wasnt .

There was an encryption option in security which I had to select after which it restarted and became encrypted.

I have a 3t and it came with nougat and then ota came for oreo , so I think it wasnt implemented till oreo ( for devices which came with oreo out of the box ).

15. Paschfire Jelly Bean Apr 18, 2019

Paschfire, Apr 18, 2019 :
    Nope, you're wrong.

The 3\3T were encrypted from the beginning of marshmallow 6.0.

16. Aman Singh gurjar Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 18, 2019

how could I be wrong , when I am saying with my own expereince ?

It might have been based region or something else but I know for a fact that mine wasnt encrypted and I had to encrypt it manually.

It might be that all devices comming with oreo preloaded are getting encrypted beforehand while in the case of nougat and oreo through ota would get a choice.

17. Paschfire Jelly Bean Apr 18, 2019

Whatever, not gonna argue with you, I know for fact the 3/3T were all shipped with encryption enabled since day one release.

Maybe you're just mistaken, or purchased a used device, or from a 3rd party source, I dunno but you're simply wrong.

18. Aman Singh gurjar Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 18, 2019

No problem , if you think stating my point was arguing then dont.

btw - I bought mine from amazon , first hand , no modifiaction ( root or anything ).

Paschfire likes this.
  19. Paschfire Jelly Bean Apr 18, 2019

Nope, no problem. We can just agree to disagree then.

Aman Singh gurjar likes this.