!HELP! OnePlus damaged my phone

1. mihir.kikani
    Cupcake Jan 30, 2020

mihir.kikani , Jan 30, 2020 :
    Hello there, I am really looking for some help here since customer support over phone has started irritating me now.

Actual issue
    OnePlus 3T camera is out of focus and everything else is working perfectly.
    Phone is out of warranty.

Series of events
    Found out my OnePlus 3T camera is out of focus and called customer service.
    Customer service ensured me that this is known issue with such devices and they will fix that for free even if phone is out of warranty.
    They send me FedEx shipping label and I shipped my "working phone" to their service center located in Texas
    After few weeks, I received Quotation of $283.96 for replacing every single component on phone.
    upload_2020-1-29_18-18-41.png

I called customer service (second call after initial one)
    When I asked why this charge, then they said it's a liquid damage on my phone and they need to replace above components to make it work.
    It's unbelievable since I sent my working phone and if phone is now broken, it must be them who messed it up. From day 1 this phone was in closed case and not exposed to water in a way that it will get damaged.
    I would seriously consider this as fraud and cheating.
    In the middle of the talk, he just hung up on me (can you believe it ???)
    I called customer service again (third call after initial one)
    I asked why previous guy hung up on me ? And he replied that it was system error.
    Then I asked why he did not call me back ? and he replied that they do not have my phone number.
    I told him that very first thing they you guys ask during every phone call is first name, last name and phone number, so not having phone number is just simple excuse and nothing else. After much pressing, he said they were supposed to call me back in 24 hours. (WOW !! )
    Now coming back to original issue (service center broke my phone) and that guy said there is nothing he can do.
    I requested to talk to manager and he said they don't have anyone above them. (basically he was boss)
    I requested to have me call back escalate this issue and he said he will do it within a day.
    I waited for a week and called customer service again (forth call after initial one)
    I asked why there was no call back or any communication, they said previous guy left the company.
    I asked why no one else is taking care of this issue, and they said they dont know.
    Now coming back to original issue (service center broke my phone), and they said they will escalate this to upper management and get back to me.
    they also asked me to send screen shot of Quotation copied above. (I am not sure why they do not have this details and asking me for it)
    Basically they disputed the repair quotation.
    I waited for a week again and called customer service again (5th call after initial one)
    they said very sorry and they are working on it and ensure me that they will get back to me very soon.
    I waited for 24 hours and called customer service again (6th call after initial one)
    They said they received the dispute feedback and no change in decision and if I want to go ahead I need to pay requested amount and if not they will send me my phone back as it is.
    I requested to have my phone back as it was before I shipped it. (i.e. only camera is out of focus and everything else is working) and she was not in position to give confirmation on that one. Also, she had a lot of attitude and I requested to talk to manager.
    She said manager is busy and will get back to me. I asked what's estimated time and she replied that she cannot give me "exact" time. (well she did not have understanding of what's estimated and exact) ...after back and forth argument, she said expect call within a day. (another wow)

Now I am really frustrated here.
    What are my options guys ? How would we resolve this issue ? I need my working phone back and I dont care about stupid camera.
    OnePlus make really good phone but I am done with you guys due to pathetic customer service, fraud and cheating.

If I do not get any help on this thread, next I will post entire phone calls and history on social media to get some feedback from OnePlus and if that do not work, I will escalate it even further.

G_plusone likes this.
  2. pablofg1978
    Spanish POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 30, 2020

pablofg1978 , Jan 30, 2020 :
    Hello there,
    The moderator @SoniaB already offered you help, did you sent your ticket number to her?
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/help-oneplus-broke-my-phone.1140256/#post-21254607

G_plusone likes this.
  3. mihir.kikani
    Cupcake Jan 30, 2020

They generated multiple case numbers everytime I called them.
    Repair RMA: SCE1912272034434
    Case ID: 200121-000842

4. mihir.kikani
    Cupcake Jan 30, 2020

5. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Jan 30, 2020

SoniaB , Jan 30, 2020 :
    Hey there

I have moved your post from the other thread to this one to keep all details in one place and one thread.

I will escalate your case

edit: have the repair centre provided you with any photos of your device showing the liquid damage stickers being triggered? Or, indeed the liquid damage on the internal components?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020

6. mihir.kikani
    Cupcake Jan 30, 2020

Thanks for helping me on this.
    No, repair center did not send me any pictures of liquid damage. I requested that information multiple times in last 30 days of multiple painful conversations but no help from customer care. I requested customer care to patch me through actual repair center and they said they cannot do that.

At least I requested customer care to check with service center if my phone is indeed working but just camera is out of focus (because that was state of phone when I shipped) and they did not help me with that as well.

Very very poor customer service. They are treating customers like trash and do not care to help them in any way. Most useless customer service experience I ever had in my life.

7. mihir.kikani
    Cupcake Jan 30, 2020

Received update from OnePlus service that my service request has been cancelled due to unpaid payment. This case is still open, why did they cancelled it ? I am not able to access that quote anymore. That link became invalid all of sudden.

8. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Jan 30, 2020

SoniaB , Jan 30, 2020 :
    Don't worry.
    I escalated your case. It's possible that it's currently being looked. To change from paid repair to in warranty repair, the first service request is cancelled and then another generated. That is very confusing for the customer I know, but standard process within CS.

Bear with me and await further confirmation from me regarding your case. You contacting CS will just compound the issue as whomever you speak to in CS may well not realise that the case is being dealt with by escalations.

Rajesh Kumar C P likes this.
  9. mihir.kikani
    Cupcake Jan 31, 2020

mihir.kikani , Jan 31, 2020 :
    Hi Sonia, any updates on this ?

10. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Jan 31, 2020

SoniaB , Jan 31, 2020 :
    Unfortunately not. The escalations team are based in China and I am still awaiting a reply. Given the coronavirus situation I honestly do not know when I will get a response but I will chase up with the Community Manager to see what can be done.

pablofg1978 likes this.
  11. mihir.kikani
    Cupcake Feb 1, 2020

mihir.kikani , Feb 1, 2020 :
    OK, thanks for feedback. At least can we check with service center that only camera is out of focus but rest of the phoe is still good (that was the state of the phone when I shipped it) ?
    Why it's so much difficult to get simplest information from Service Center people ? Why they work in so much silo and isolation ?

12. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Feb 1, 2020

SoniaB , Feb 1, 2020 :
    OnePlus uses 3rd party companies as official partners for repair services.

So whilst you initiate the repair via OnePlus, it is ultimately the 3rd party associate that does the repair. You therefore have two entities with their own processes, procedure and timescales etc., that don't always [from my experience within this community] work seamlessly together.

You might call CS to discuss your case, but there very well may not be an update noted on your case by the repair centre. CS may agree to resolution, but it's not always filtered down to that specific repair centre in a timely manner. When that happens, it's confusing and frustrating for you as the customer.

You can of course try and contact the Repair centre directly. However, given that they have already stated no change in the quotation for repair and the work required, I do not know what contacting the repair centre will do in this case, as ultimately any change will need to be confirmed by OnePlus.

For my part, I am chasing this up, but given that the team I escalate to is in China and the situation there currently, I cannot confirm how much longer this escalation will take. However, note that even if the repair centre do return the device back to you, I can still continue with the escalation itself to resolve the case.

13. mihir.kikani
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2020

mihir.kikani , Feb 4, 2020 :
    Hi Sonia, thanks for feedback. Since we are running into some unknown timeline, and it's almost 1.5 months since I do not have my phone with me, it's very inconvenient right now for me to manage in my day to day life. Can I request my device back and we continue to work on escalation in background ?
    I cannot have them hold my device without any action for prolonged time.

14. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Feb 4, 2020

SoniaB , Feb 4, 2020 :
    Yes you can ask for it to be returned to you and I will ask that the escalation remain open.

I had a case recently where the device was sent back to the customer and then later reshipped to the repair centre for in warranty repair

15. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Feb 5, 2020

SoniaB , Feb 5, 2020 :
    @mihir.kikani CS have confirmed that the repair centre are returning your device unrepaired back to you.

I am still chasing for resolution to your case so I will update you further when I know more

16. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Feb 5, 2020

SoniaB , Feb 5, 2020 :
    @mihir.kikani I have received a further update from CS.

They have confirmed that just the camera module replacement can be done, however, they have also restated that there is internal liquid damage. If the other components are not replaced then it may well affect the normal function of your device.

They will contact you independently regarding your case and provide evidence of the inspection results.

You can continue from there. If you require any further assistance from me then please do not hesitate to tag me.

17. mihir.kikani
    Cupcake Feb 11, 2020 at 1:56 AM

mihir.kikani , Feb 11, 2020 at 1:56 AM :
    Hi Sonia,
    Thanks for updates and yes I did received my phone back. No one has contacted me so far for evidence of inspection results and I am questioning this since day one.
    I am really surprised that there is a liquid damage in my phone which has damaged a extremely specific functionality of device (camera out of focus) which happened to be a known issue of OnePlus 3T.
    How do I ensure that SC has not mishandled my device in this whole process ?

Also, anything you can do to improve the way CS is treating your customers ? Since all phone calls are recorded, I would strongly suggest you or your management to listen my talk with them. CS agents do NOT exhibit any professional behavior with their customers and dealing with them is next to impossible.(they are rude, they hide details, they do not tell full truth, they lack grip on English, they do not show and/or care for your issue)

I spent countless of my valuable hours talking with them which resulted into nothing.
    How would OnePlus compensate this ?

18. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Feb 11, 2020 at 5:49 AM

SoniaB , Feb 11, 2020 at 5:49 AM :
    Moderators are not OnePlus employees. We are here to assist the community. I have no access to your personal information nor OnePlus systems to look at your case direct.

All I can do is continue chasing up the escalation on your behalf and to try and resolve the case via escalation. I cannot compel CS/OnePlus do anything but I will chase them up again and give the above as feedback also.