Help: OP 6 randomly switching off

1. Orthodon
    Cupcake May 31, 2020

Orthodon , May 31, 2020 :
    As the title suggests, i have been experiencing random switch offs on my OP 6 from past two days. i have cleared cache, reset to factory settings.
    Do you guys have any suggestions?
    also, i am planning to install a custom ROM "pixel experience" to test if OOS beta 5 is being unstable or buggy.

2. drl431
    Marshmallow May 31, 2020

drl431 , May 31, 2020 :
    The factory reset should have helped you, unless you restored all your old apps. If you had a misbehaving app, it was then re-introduced after the factory reset.

Dresa91 and Caomhin like this.
  3. zatap117
    Cupcake May 31, 2020

zatap117 , May 31, 2020 :
    I am experiencing similar issue with my OP6. I have the latest update on OP6. I even flashed the latest ROM from boot options but didnt help the situation. The phone stays on only for few seconds after I enter my pin after switching on, then switches off suddenly. If I don't enter my pin it doesnt switch off. I have tried all kinds of resets, like cache clean and wipe, factory reset, etc, once even from boot options, but the problem persists, even before installing additional apps from play store. I have started using my old phone for time being and waiting for next OS update hoping it will fix the issue, else will try customer service. Can anyone help me with my phone? I have used OP6 for 2 years, can the problem be with battery? If so I will go to customer service right away.

4. P1543095809437
    Cupcake May 31, 2020

P1543095809437 , via OnePlus 6 , May 31, 2020 :
    The phone is switching off & restarting frequently, mostly everyday even though it has sufficient RAM & MEMORY SPACE.
    sometime without opening an App also it restarts itself.
    it seems post the last update, it is happening.

model-one plus 6
    OS 10.3.3

5. Artemus.
    Nougat May 31, 2020

Artemus. , May 31, 2020 :
    When is the last time you wiped the phone?

Caomhin and drl431 like this.
  6. P1543095809437
    Cupcake May 31, 2020

7. Artemus.
    Nougat May 31, 2020

Wiped as in factory reset. Clearing cache does nothing and causes MORE harm the more you do so.

8. P1543095809437
    Cupcake May 31, 2020

9. Artemus.
    Nougat May 31, 2020

Well, there's your problem then. Always factory reset at least once a year and always keep a backup of your data just in case.

10. Orthodon
    Cupcake Jun 1, 2020

Orthodon , via OnePlus 6 , Jun 1, 2020 :
    UPDATE: Was on pixel experience custom rom for one day without any third party apps. still experiencing the same issue. My OP6 randomly hangs ,there's black screen and it doesn't respond to power key for a minute or two. then back to normal for a few hours.
    so, now i am back to OOS 10.3.3
    this happens usually when phone is kept away for some time and when i am trying to unlock. Although, at times,it's just sitting there, idle,and decides to switch off.

11. Caomhin
    Lollipop Jun 1, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Jun 1, 2020 :
    Sounds like the a possible partition issue within the phone setup.

You may have to go Nuclear on this and do a reset using the MsmDownloadTool. This is used to unbrick a phone, but will also completely Factory reset your phone.

Do This is at your own RISK

Follow the instructions to use the MSMDownload Tool for Oneplus 6.

https://www.thecustomdroid.com/oneplus-6-6t-unbrick-guide/

Scroll down to view the Unbrick details and downloads.

Download and use the Android version you want TO use to unbrick the phone with for OP6.

Once you have the phone backup and running.

Install OTA updates to get the most recent update.

-----------------------------------------------------------

For those installing Android 9 only from the above guide.

You must be on at least Android 9.0.9 in order to update to Android 10.

You can then update to the Latest OOS Full Install update file.

Either via OTA or check Latest release thread posts for update links. Or use 3rd party Oxygen updater from PlayStore.

[e]26a0[/e]️If you are not comfortable doing that, please contact OnePlus directly at the link below for more information. Or bring the phone to an approved OnePlus service center.[e]26a0[/e]️

Scroll down the page for contact details.

https://www.oneplus.com/support

12. Orthodon
    Cupcake Jun 1, 2020

Orthodon , via OnePlus 6 , Jun 1, 2020 :
    Thanks for your concern. I did try downloading this tool yesterday but it was a corrupt file. Hence proceeded with other custom and subsequently stock rom.
    Will try this method too.
    Before this issue cropped up, I was on stock rom without root access.
    Any idea why one or more partitions may have gone bad?

13. Caomhin
    Lollipop Jun 1, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Jun 1, 2020 :
    You mentioned you were on a custom rom, even briefly, but it may be that something corrupted between both.

Essentially they are both Android 10 but would have different customisations, and the code in Pixen will be different to the code in OnePlus for those customisations. It's possible a partition is not functioning correctly as there may be leftover code from the previous rom.

MsmDownloadTool will reconfigure the whole phone including those partitions to suit the OnePlus install.