Help updating to 33R

1. trano
    Gingerbread Aug 29, 2014

2. peos
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2014

peos , Aug 29, 2014 :
    I don't think this is how you should update.
    If you follow that fastboot guide number 9. it will wipe all your data.
    I would recommend an OTA update, if everything works fine on your device.

Which build do you have on your device right now?
    30O?

mingtrinh likes this.
  3. peos

4. trano
    Gingerbread Aug 29, 2014

trano , Aug 29, 2014 :
    Build number KVT49L
    Cyanogen Mod Version 11.0-XPNH25R

I just got this phone today, when i check for system updates, im told that my system is up to date.
    This is the reason im trying to find an alternate way to update.

5. peos

peos , Aug 29, 2014 :
    It is possible to update via sideload, if you like to do that.
    I can help you to do that, but keep in mind with build 30O and 33R you will get worse battery life than in 25R.

6. trano
    Gingerbread Aug 29, 2014

trano , Aug 29, 2014 :
    Oh interesting, what are the major bug fixes from 25R to 33R? if its nothing major maybe ill just stay on 25 till the next update?

7. peos

peos , Aug 29, 2014 :
    30O:
    Changelog

Upgraded to Android 4.4.4
    Updated to new versions of Google apps
    Added Clear Image
    Added new (colder) calibration for the screen
    Proximity Sensor prevents activation of off-screen gestures while in your pocket
    Capacitive touch keys supported in the recovery mode
    Increased capacitive button illumination
    Improved overall stability
    Fixed issues with vibration being disabled during Quiet Hours
    Fixed lockscreen not updating the track information during music payback
    Fixed microphone volume for all formats in the Voice Recorder app
    Fixed “OK, Google” not triggering voice search in Google Now
    Fixed Viber calls not working
    Fixed battery percent not updating in custom lock screens
    Fixed PicasaSync
    Fixed Camera “O” gesture activating lockscreen instead of triggering camera
    Fixed wallpapers not applying in full screen, taking the wrong size when cropping, etc.

33R:
    Changelog

A new radio image.
    Touchscreen fixes (addresses BACON-55, which was originally reported and subsequently brought to our attention by Ausdroid). There's also an extensive thread on OnePlus' forums about it, among many other places (forum account needed).
    Update: The fix is not complete, as reports of jumpiness are surfacing once again. It did fix the deadzone / random touches issue which prevented me from unlocking my phone for 10-15s at a time as I simply couldn't trace my pattern due to all the jumping around.
    Unfortunately, the grounding issue which results in multitouch going nuts remains unfixed and must be resolved via another driver update. Another excruciating wait begins.
    Decreased power consumption in idle state (fixes BACON-599 which we wrote about here).
    Unspecified audio fixes.
    CVE-2014-4943 and another unspecified security update.

GallantJR and trano like this.
  8. trano
    Gingerbread Aug 29, 2014

trano , Aug 29, 2014 :
    ah nothing im interested in. thanks alot for your help aniways Peos!

i think i will wait for the next update :)

9. peos

peos , Aug 29, 2014 :
    No problem, it is up to you :)
    I know many people trying to downgrade back to 25R because of that power consumption.
    Even though in 33R it got better than in 30O, however it can't reach 25R.

But it is like this:
    It is always easy to go upwards, but then it's pretty difficult to get back down ;)

Konzure and trano like this.
  10. dencal
    Honeycomb Aug 29, 2014

dencal , Aug 29, 2014 :
    @peos
    sorry for stupid question,but if i try to root and unlock the bootloader and install superSU i will lost 25R by wiping ?

Thanks

11. peos

peos , Aug 29, 2014 :
    Hi there are no stupid questions ;)

Can you explain me what you mean with:
    If you unlock your bootloader, you will lose all your data (this is a one time process).
    Afterwards you flash TWRP via Fasboot.
    Then you install the Superuser.zip with the SuperSU app and all the binaries.
    You will remain on 25R.

12. dencal
    Honeycomb Aug 29, 2014

dencal , Aug 29, 2014 :
    good...so it's only question of data,so it's good to do this just after received the device ,i'm right ? because apparently do this should be helpful on the future,but isn't going in conflict with rom version.
    is it?

13. peos

peos , Aug 29, 2014 :
    Yeah it's best to unlock the bootloader right after you received the device :)
    No shouldn't be any conflicts.
    If you root your device on 25R you still should be able to receive upcoming OTA updates.
    The thing is, if you update your device e.g. to 30O you lose that root access. You can flash the Superuser zip via TWRP again or let TWRP do the rooting process for you, so it shouldn't be any problem.
    However there is a conflict between OTA updates and the use of XPOSED-Framework.
    So before you update you should deactivate the Framework, otherwise you should be good to go :)

Just follow this guide to whatever step you like (e.g. just unlocking of the bootloader):
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...oader-install-custom-recovery-and-root.64487/

Greetz peos

dencal likes this.
  14. Konzure
    Froyo Aug 29, 2014

Konzure , Aug 29, 2014 :
    And if I'm not completely mistaken: Temporary root was possible with all versions before 30O, so I really have to motivate myself not to do a downgrade since the next OTA will be pushed out at first/second week of September.

15. peos

peos , Aug 29, 2014 :
    Now i'm interested, i never used a temporary root, can you tell me how you can get it in builds like 22R or 25R?

16. Konzure
    Froyo Aug 29, 2014

Konzure , Aug 29, 2014 :
    I'm not a professional on this topic, but as far as I understood the process you basically booted into the recovery instead of flashing the custom recovery which enabled you to flash the superuser. That method left bootloader and recovery stock, and the only downside was, that the next OTA might unroot your device (which is basically the same as the normal method). It was even supposed to be doable without a system wipe.
    Thing is, when I stumbled upon that guide I was a fan until I read there that it doesn't work with 30O or later. I didn't save the link for reference, but I think it was something similar to this guide:
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/root-guide-oneplus-one-doesnt-wipe-your-data.66270/

Which is refering to @Martin Hotmann. Most likely I read his guide, at least I remember a guide which had both "paths" to follow through, the "usual" and the one I just mentioned.

Edit: I have to correct myself, it was probably the guide from @Chromium , I did save it as "the regular method" even though he described both (see point3. rooting). Chromium's rooting guide

Edit 2:
    Found more to it, even though I still don't see exact the same guide.

It basically boils down whether or not you can use
    Code:
    fastboot boot <custom_recovery.img>
    . If you can boot into the custom recovery without the need to replace the stock recovery, you can unlock the bootloader and install the superuser (even without the need to wipe the data, because you basically have the same system and recovery). The conditions when you can use the command, and when it fails are still a mystery.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014

17. peos

peos , Aug 29, 2014 :
    Ah ok i see with temporary you don't mean time limited, but "without unlocking bootloader" and "without installing a custom recovery".
    Am i'm right?

Yeah in 25R and before this was somehow a glitch to get root access, so they fixed it in 30O i think.
    Don't know much about this glitch either.

18. dencal
    Honeycomb Aug 29, 2014

19. GuateRider
    Gingerbread Aug 29, 2014

GuateRider , Aug 29, 2014 :
    So you think that they will bring back the good battery life as in 25R in future updates? I just rooted following the @Chromium guide and works fine. I am currently in build KVT49L CM: XNPH25R, but after reading about the battery problems in 30O and 33R I dont want to update because I am really loving the battery life.

Another question, the TWRP automatically installs the SU after update? Is there any special setting to configure this?

Can you install OTA updates without problems? Can you install manually?

Thanks

20. Cherevkoe
    Cupcake Sep 4, 2014

Cherevkoe , Sep 4, 2014 :
    I have new update for my OnePlus - XNPH25R Incremental, but I can't do updating.
    E:Error in /cache/cm-bacon-03d77315ea-to-d22b777afa-signet-9.zip
    (Status 7)
    Can somebody halps my?

Amynur26 likes this.