Help with OTG audio via OnePlus 5T

1. Dan2601
    Donut Mar 27, 2020

Dan2601 , via OnePlus 5T , Mar 27, 2020 :
    Hi everyone...hope you're keeping well during these times of uncertainty..

I am trying to play audio through the OTG and in turn through an external Dac/amp....I have achieved this however...I am still able to control the audio level on my OP5T....does this mean that the OTG is not bypassing the internal amp..I thought this was a given if the output is digital rather than analogue...

...am I missing something simple...your help is much appreciated

thanks everyone
    dan

2. Dan2601
    Donut Mar 28, 2020

Dan2601 , via OnePlus 5T , Mar 28, 2020 :
    Hi everyone...hope you're keeping well during these times of uncertainty..

I am trying to play audio through the OTG and in turn through an external Dac/amp....I have achieved this however...I am still able to control the audio level on my OP5T....does this mean that the OTG is not bypassing the internal amp..I thought this was a given if the output is digital rather than analogue...

...am I missing something simple...your help is much appreciated

thanks everyone
    dan

3. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Marshmallow Moderator Mar 28, 2020

Maximus Decimus Meridius , Mar 28, 2020 :
    Hey there! Welcome :)
    I changed your title a bit, which was previously all CAPS :eek:

What kind of DAC is it? And sometimes, even if it IS digital, there might be a volume setting available. (Meaning, i thought volume isn't always normalised or fulll/max output)

4. Dan2601
    Donut Mar 28, 2020

Dan2601 , via OnePlus 5T , Mar 28, 2020 :
    hi

It's a Fiio X3gen 2. It was more the OP5T I was querying...and why the volume would change the output...Am I right in thinking then that once played through the DAC, the volume controls the digital out volume (gain) rather than the amplified signal (this bypassing the internal amp.) I'm wanting to upgrade to a Audioquest dragonfly but won't make the leap if I am not getting a clean signal out if the OP5T (No amplification/ digital out)