Hibernation mode for apps #PMChallenge

1. jol333
    Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

jol333 , Feb 20, 2019 :
    Hibernation mode for apps

Who are the users?

Anyone who wants to reduce the influence of an app in their daily life.
    Anyone who is concerned about privacy, who don’t want an app to run in background in their device.

What is the proposed function?

I always wanted apps to exit completely when I leave from its screen. Even the absence of an explicit ‘Exit’ button in Android apps always annoyed me. Clearing from the recent apps list won’t exit most of the apps completely. They still continue to run in the background.

I tried force stopping them from the App Info, used 3rd party apps like Greenify, restricted their background data usage. Even after these various attempts, apps like WhatsApp, Instagram & Messenger found their way to wake up themselves from their sleep state and keep receiving messages. I guess these apps are using some background services and sync adapters to do this.

So I wanted a very strict hibernation mode which can be applied to selected apps, so that these apps won’t run in the background, or use data when the app is not opened in the foreground. The moment user exits/minimise a hibernation-enabled app, the OS will force stop the app, stop all the threads, restrict background data usage and block wakeup calls & triggers.

What is the user value?

Save the privacy of users. Prevent unsecure apps from running in the background and snooping user’s data. Also, save some RAM space.
    Prevent WhatsApp like apps from receiving messages by running in the background.
    (Users like me don’t want a double tick to happen unless I open the WhatsApp explicitly)
    Disabling notification is a dummy solution, since they still run in the background and receive messages.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

Apps like Brevent are useful upto an extent. But they require ‘USB Debugging’ enabled & each time when you restart the mobile, you need to type an adb command by connecting the mobile to PC via USB. This is a cumbersome process and not suitable for novice users.The OxygenOS should provide this functionality by default, because the ROM has a lot of control which are not available for a 3rd party app in a non-rooted mobile.

Logic behind this product and how you want it to be implemented

Workflow:
    01.png
    Goto Settings > Apps & Notifications > Hibernate Apps

02.png
    Select apps to enable Hibernation

or

03.png
    Press and hold any app icon in the launcher > Check ‘Hibernate’ option in the long press menu.
    A ‘zzz’ badge will be displayed on hibernated apps.

Artboard.png

2. jol333
    Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

jol333 , Feb 20, 2019 :
    On a side note, just similar to this, I would also like the app permissions to be given temporarily. The moment I exit the app, or a time interval is over, the given permissions should be revoked automatically. Why would I have to give permanent access to all my SMS just to retrieve an OTP? Why should I allow an app to track my GPS location 24 hours, just for booking a cab one time? The following design was inspired by the Super User app for rooted mobiles. If possible, try to incorporate this feature in future version of OxygenOS.

Artboard.png

I know that apps like Bouncer exist to revoke permissions automatically. But they use accessibility services to do the job, so it is not very reliable. I am looking forward to the revamped permissions management in Android Q ( https://www.xda-developers.com/android-q-privacy-permission-controls/ ). May be OnePlus can go ahead and implement this small feature before that.