Hiking and like

1. Darksifu
    Gingerbread Aug 11, 2014

Darksifu , Aug 11, 2014 :
    Hey.
    Does any who have the OPO, or other who is waiting for invite, plan on using it as a hiking GPS in mountains, or places with no network.
    Does it come with a GPS that does not require data network??
    I am curious to how I can implement this phone, in ones everyday life, and more :D

2. captaintater
    Froyo Nov 3, 2014

captaintater , Nov 3, 2014 :
    I use my OnePlus for hiking. It performed magnificently. I turned off all of my data to save battery, ran the GPS for an entire 6.5 hour hike, and had 71% battery life left at the end. You will need to download additional apps. The only maps included is Google Maps, which generally requires data.

Here's how I use it:

Keep in mind that if you use it in cold weather you'll want to keep it in a warm pocket so the battery doesn't freeze.

3. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Nov 3, 2014

gusuraman , Nov 3, 2014 :
    GPS itself always works without connection.
    Connection is neded just for AGPS that only speed up the GPS fix time.
    Usually AGPS data live for some day so you will not have any problem.

4. captaintater
    Froyo Nov 3, 2014

I use my OnePlus for hiking. It performs magnificently (though always bring a back up paper map for safety). I turned off all of my data to save battery, ran the GPS for an entire 6.5 hour hike, and had 71% battery life left at the end. You will need to download additional apps. The only maps included is Google Maps, which generally requires data.

Here's how I use it:

Keep in mind that if you use it in cold weather you'll want to keep it in a warm pocket so the battery doesn't freeze.

5. captaintater
    Froyo Nov 3, 2014

6. captaintater
    Froyo Nov 3, 2014

True, GPS does not require data to find your position, but it usually requires data to get the map data. Try turning your data off and then use Google maps. It will probably find your location, but there won't be a map to give any reference for that location. Some apps download the maps so the data connection is not required, but that is usually the exception, not the typical.

7. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Moderator Moderator Nov 3, 2014

gusuraman likes this.
  8. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Nov 3, 2014

gusuraman , Nov 3, 2014 :
    Maps allow to download offline maps for 10 miles range (if i'm not wrong) around selected positions.
    I did when traveling in Vancouver and i downloaded half of the city. I don't remember if also satellite view was downloaded.
    Btw for road navigation i use navigon (offline)