Hole Punch Yes/No ?? OnePlus 8

1. RickyLight
    Cupcake Dec 24, 2019

3. Secondbushome
    Gingerbread Dec 30, 2019

Secondbushome , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 30, 2019 :
    I won't buy a phone with a hole punch. The main reason why I didn't upgrade to another Samsung despite actually liking my S8 a lot. Yes, something that small can actually ruin the experience of using the display. Something about having a static hole in the screen that you can't get rid of bugs the hell out of time. At least the teardrop you can potentially hide in the status bar. You're stuck with looking at the hole punch.

Djolasan and Nova777 like this.
  4. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2020

ghostofcain likes this.
  5. insomnia77
    Froyo Jan 26, 2020

insomnia77 , Jan 26, 2020 :
    I would never never be happy with a phone that had a dead pixel. HOLE PUNCH??!!! LOL NEVER!! one plus could of just put a new chip and better camera keeping OnePlus 7 pro design and it would of been day one purchase for me. If rumors are true at least my wallet will be safe.

6. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Jan 26, 2020

ghostofcain , Jan 26, 2020 :
    I won't buy a phone with a popup camera, I just don't see the need for the added complexity and extra ingress into the case. So personally I'd rather have a hole punch or small notch.

GeekOnTheHill likes this.
  7. Semmy7
    Eclair Jan 27, 2020

Djolasan and Sonesson93 like this.
  8. Djolasan , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Feb 12, 2020 :
    No1: Privacy. On my 7 pro I know there is no camera facing my side all the time. (that makes me think that Google likes to spy on us for ads and who know what else, so ot could be a must order from the big guys - but that could sound like conspiracy theory)

No2: Aesthetics. There is nothing like the clean screen edge to edge. Nothing can beat it.

-For those that doesn't want mechanical moving parts, hey here I am using 7 pro, there are no problems at all. I just sold my Samsung S10+ for the OnePlus 7 pro. I couldn't be happier. I hated this black pill on the screen ALL THE TIME.
    And also @OnePlus, please make the phones smaller :)

Praty_28 and Secondbushome like this.
  9. Grilled_Trout
    Gingerbread Feb 12, 2020

Grilled_Trout , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 12, 2020 :
    There are actually people who prefer a notch over a hole punch? To me, they are the same thing. Actually, hole punch seems to take less screen space than a notch.

I am not sure what the fuss is about with eliminating bezels and chins and foreheads. As long as the space is being used for something useful, I can care less if there is some bezel, forehead or chin. I care more about performance, reliability, and longevity. I'd rather take a clean design like the Note 9 or even the Pixel 4 over some notched or hole-punched screen, from a plain design perspective.

Camera under screen is a tech that is clearly not ready for prime time. Until it is a tech that is actually useable, we have to live with the notches and hole punches of the world, or the weird camera mechanics like flips, pop ups, or slides to achieve this overrated no forehead design while sacrificing water and dust resistance.

I sort of liked, I believe it was Vivo, the dual screen phone design where the secondary screen on the back enabled selfie taking with the main cameras on the back. But that solution isn't perfect either. I am not sure about water and dust resistance, but say good bye to wireless charging and say good bye to being able to use a case that provides decent protection. These are all things that people have gotten used to, so taking them away for the sake of reducing forehead seems like gimmickry.

So until the tech is ready to put cameras under the screen, there seems to be no way around the current design trends right now.

If you hate hole punch and notch so much and already own a OnePlus 7 Pro? Why do you even need to upgrade anyway? Phone still works great and has at least another 1 or even 2 years left in it.

Nova777, gcocucci and GeekOnTheHill like this.
  10. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 13, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 13, 2020 :
    I could have written that myself.

LG used an AOD "second screen" design on several phones including the V20, of which I've owned several. It was a handy feature that displayed the time, weather, notification icons, and other useful user-selected information when the main screen was asleep. It also was swipable, so it actually fit twice as many icons as its width would otherwise allow. Finally, it was also where the front camera and flash were mounted, so there was no notch or hole in the main screen.

And yet, there were people who hated it because the main screen didn't extend to the top of the phone, and because the phone had both a forehead and a chin: and those things were simply terrible. If the entire front of the phone wasn't uninterrupted screen, the phone was no good.

Never mind how convenient and reliable the design was. Never mind that the forehead and chin allowed it to have among the best audio I've ever heard on a phone. Never mind that there was nothing to break. Never mind that the front camera had an actual flash. None of that mattered to them.

It had a forehead and chin; and therefore, it was no good.

I can't avoid shaking my head and wondering whether people stop to listen to themselves sometimes. They want no hole, no notch, no forehead, no chin, no bezel, and no second screen; but they also want the phone to be waterproof; for it to be thin; for the mechanics of the slide or pop-up camera to be indestructible; and for the mechanism to be immune to wear, water, dust, debris, and accidental damage due to drops, falls, and snags.

And oh, make sure it's inexpensive, too.

I mean, seriously?

Give me a bezel, notch, or hole, and spare me the moving parts. I've spent the better part of half a century fixing things that broke, and I've learned a few things:
    • Anything that is supposed to move will eventually get stuck.
    • Anything that sticks out will eventually get broken off.
    • Anything that slides will eventually get sand in it.
    • Anything that can wear out eventually will wear out.
    • Any electrical conductor that moves or bends will eventually break.
    So yeah, give me simplicity. I've yet to come across someone klutzy enough to break a notch or a hole.

/rant

Richard

Nova777 and Grilled_Trout like this.
  11. Grilled_Trout
    Gingerbread Feb 13, 2020

Grilled_Trout , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 13, 2020 :
    Wow. To quote you back, "I could have written that myself!"

LG V20... That was the phone that I kept thinking back on whenever there was this massive hurrah about full screen displays. LG's implementation was ahead of its time with the V20 and I cannot find any reasons to disagree with what you said. Spot on!

I do have the OnePlus 7 Pro with the moving pop up camera mechanism. These days I hardly use the front camera as I use another phone for that, but it has always made me wonder about its longevity. Only time will tell.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020

Nova777 and GeekOnTheHill like this.
  12. L1577273184311
    Cupcake Feb 14, 2020

L1577273184311 , Feb 14, 2020 :
    I won't buy a phone with a hole-punch camera. I mean pop-up camera works, there are no major complaints about it, all reviewers liked op7 pro, idea of hidden camera is great... so why the hell they wanna release a Samsung look-alike? Yes, all moving parts eventually will break but who cares if it breaks after 3-5 years.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020

Nova777 and Secondbushome like this.
  13. Grilled_Trout
    Gingerbread Feb 14, 2020

Grilled_Trout , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 14, 2020 :
    No complaints with the pop up camera for me also. But that mechanism also brought some downsides. It made the phone heavier, and made it impossible for the phone to be dust and water resistant officially. Depending on what each user prioritizes, this could be a non issue or a big turn off.

At least for me here in the U.S. market, the 7 Pro was a breath of fresh air and I adore the design. But that does not stop me completely from wondering about the pop up mechanism's longevity from time to time.

Nova777 and GeekOnTheHill like this.
  14. SpinSupreme
    Eclair Feb 24, 2020

SpinSupreme , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 24, 2020 :
    NO HOLE PUNCH!!
    Why mess up a perfectly good screen with a hole or a double hole. I like the pop up camera best of all the selfie systems, besides the obvious reasons, because you KNOW if it's on or not. I wouldn't mind NOT even having a selfie camera in the first place, just saying.

Nova777 and Secondbushome like this.
  15. SpinSupreme
    Eclair Feb 24, 2020

SpinSupreme , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 24, 2020 :
    For all those who would punch a hole in a brand new 120hz AMOLED display before even powering it on, to take pictures of yourself mind you, because of doubts for the longevity/reliability of the mechanical system used in the 1+7pro look here.. DON'T!

I curated a few videos demonstrating the ruggedness of the 7 pro as a whole but the pop up camera in chief.

Jerry Rig Everything- 1+7pro Durability test-
    youtu.be/wLmiWPHPqhU

Jerry Rig Everything- 1+7pro Teardown-
    youtu.be/-xvNCxECPy0

And this beauty from CNET demonstrating its water handling skills-
    youtu.be/nNjvdOSDvk8

* Spoiler Alert... it went 40 minutes all together completely submerged in a fish tank. Mine spent over 15 minutes submerged in the mud after falling 30' or so from a SkyTrax at work. Just Sayin

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020

Nova777 likes this.
  16. Grilled_Trout
    Gingerbread Mar 3, 2020

Grilled_Trout , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 3, 2020 :
    If I had to pick between just the hole punch or a notch, I would take the hole punch. The teardrop notch, in my opinion, is more distracting, less discreet, and uglier than a simple hole punch. They both take screen space away, but not actually any meaningfully useable screen real estate.

I also prefer the hole punch to be at the top left corner, as the rumors and leaks indicate the 8 series from OnePlus to be, than in the middle or on the top right corner. When using the phone normally, it really does not distract or take away any meaningful space. My preference comes when watching videos in landscape orientation, as I tend to rotate my phone counter clockwise so that the top of the screen comes to my left.

This effectively puts the hole punch at the bottom left corner when watching full screen videos. That position is much less distracting to me and whatever video content it blocks is much less meaningful than if the hole punch were located in the middle or the top.

To me, the teardrop notch when watching videos in full screen mode sticks out like a soar thumb and looks like some pimple sticking out of a face. I hate that. Even if that notch were made invisible even in full screen video mode, that would make the screen seem not centered and positioned awkwardly more towards one direction, which is also distracting to me.

It is all a matter of personal preference, I suppose. Nowadays, I use another phone for camera use, so my 7 Pro's cameras do not see any action at all. Because of that, the design featuring the hidden selfie camera actually works better for me since I will never use that front camera. No worries about parts breaking while enjoying truly uninterrupted full screen.

Like I previously said, until under-display front camera tech becomes an actually useable tech that is at least one par in quality with today's tech, there is no workaround. Like it or not, we have to live with either the forehead, notch, or a punch hole. Unless, you go the dual screen route with a secondary screen on the back of the phone which may look cool at first, but loses substance and sacrifices too much for what is otherwise a very trivial workaround to achieve this overrated desire to reduce the forehead on our screens.

17. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Mar 3, 2020

Cheetosdust , Mar 3, 2020 :
    Like it was mentioned, it’s a question of personal preference.

I don’t mind it, just like I didn’t mind the notch on the OnePlus 6 Series.

What I hope, however, is that other members understand that not everyone likes the same thing. We can have a discussion about teardrop vs. full notches vs. hole-punches knowing and respecting other opinions, without trying to change them.

To me, more important than this whole thing is the actual quality of the panel used, especially when it comes to hegemony in low brightness scenarios.

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  18. Grilled_Trout
    Gingerbread Mar 4, 2020

Grilled_Trout , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 4, 2020 :
    You are absolutely right. The quality of the display should be what matters most. The 7Pro's display is quite good, though I hope that OnePlus improve the display with higher max brightness. Also, that ugly black smearing effect when watching videos in the dark? I hope they address that.

Cheetosdust likes this.
  19. Jimbo the Great
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 9, 2020

Jimbo the Great , Mar 9, 2020 :
    Speaking of personal preference...
    I like the notch on the OP6 for a very specific reason...

My wife doesn't ask where to look when we take selfies, like she used to do on my old Samsung...

1583782439628.jpg
    I wouldn't mind bringing back the Headphone jack though...
    [e]1f60f[/e]

Attached Files:

Cheetosdust likes this.
  20. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Mar 10, 2020

Cheetosdust , Mar 10, 2020 :
    Hah, you are correct, that is indeed a very specific reason. I love it! :D

And, one thing is certain, you both are looking at the camera on that photo, so I guess the notch on the OnePlus 6 was indeed working. :p