Holiday traditions community contest

1. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 23, 2019

MosheG1 , Dec 23, 2019 :
    mosheheader.png

Welcome to the Holiday Traditions contest!

christmas-tree-kids-decorating-ThinkstockPhotos-616219384.jpg

(A quick thank you to @Ruby G. for making this possible!)

At this time of the year there is usually a special type of energy in the air. This energy is the energy of the holidays!

Starting in the beginning of fall (for those of us in the U.S.A) and throughout winter there are many many holidays. From Diwali (thank you @Starcommander for explaining that one to me) to Christmas to Hanukkah and to ones I didn't even know existed like kwanzaa!

Untitled-design-814.jpg

There is no more wholesome feeling then a good holiday, and some of my best memories were from holidays of the past.

But what is the definition of a holiday? well I looked it up and one definition is: "Holidays are intended to allow individuals to celebrate or commemorate an event or tradition of cultural or religious significance" (Wikipedia).

This means almost anything can be a holiday! (assuming you do it annually)

So if you have some crazy Black Friday tradition like getting there hours before the store opens to be first on the line, or even celebrating some of the more wacky traditions of this time of year like crossword puzzle day on December 21st, celebrating the anniversary of the Westminster statue in Canada on December 11th. Maybe you like to take part in national brownie day on December 8th. are you're a fan of shopping for last minute gifts at the last second every year with your loved ones?

black-friday-shopping.jpg

You could be the family member who loves giving out ugly sweaters, or maybe you're the eggnog guy... (we wont talk about him)

And once we are taking about holiday food...

Jelly-Doughnuts_EXPS_GBHRBZ17_17086_D07_07_1b-696x696.jpg

There are so many delicacies and delicious food we only eat certain times of the year that make that holiday feel just a little bit more special. (And cause me to gain just a little more weight... Only a little... Why are you looking at me like that. Fine! A lot of weight. But either way it is an integral part of the holiday!)

So whatever holidays or holiday traditions you celebrate, I want to hear about it!

So what is a holiday to you? and more importantly what traditions do you have and celebrate this time of year?

Rules:
    1) feel free to write about any traditional holiday you celebrate, no matter how wacky or weird it is!

2) you can write stories of the great times you've had celebrating those traditions out funny stories that have happened. You can post pictures taken at that time. The foods you've eaten, or the foods you've eaten, or the foods you've eaten... (sorry im really hungry thinking about those delicious holiday treats! but don't just post about the food.)

3) it has to be a tradition that happens between November and February. (fall throughout winter for those of us in the northern hemisphere)

4) the contest will be from December 23rd to January 3rd.

PS. This is a U.S only contest if you want to win the prize. But everyone can participate! And I hope you all do!

and the prize will be a Mystery Swag Box!

Let's get those holiday vibes on!

2. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Jan 6, 2020

Stickied Post
    Ruby G. , Jan 6, 2020 :
    So great to see everyone's traditions in this thread. The winner for this contest is @DashSoulja, with an honorable mention to @pdxtechy :) I'll contact you both shortly via PM.

3. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Dec 23, 2019

Dresa91 , Dec 23, 2019 :
    :)
    thanks for hosting dude :)
    Every year on Christmas Eve we go to church, then presents and the ultimate meal: Potato salad with sausages:)
    Merry Christmas everyone:)

4. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 23, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 23, 2019 :
    you're always the first!
    sounds delicious!

5. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Dec 23, 2019 :
    :)
    it is:) and you can prepare very well and is stress-free :)

G_plusone, Starcommander and MosheG1 like this.
  6. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Dec 23, 2019

luigimario , Dec 23, 2019 :
    Awww :( @YRJ

I do like the thread though. I'm sure we'll hear a lot of nice traditions!

YRJ, cdnfarmer, G_plusone and 4 others like this.
  7. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Dec 23, 2019 :
    #metoo:(

8. Anshu3110
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 23, 2019

Anshu3110 , Dec 23, 2019 :
    Hi Moshe! Such a great thread, congratulations on doing a great job. :)

Ah, this sooo delicious! It looks like a donut. :p Is it a donut though? Okay, I can really imagine the softness of the bread and I'm drooling. :D

Holidays, or traditional festivals, for me have mostly been spending it with family. I like how festivals lure you with great deliciousness of food mostly. :p

As you already know Diwali is one of the major festival for us that falls usually around November. I was hardly able to go home for any festival when in college (we hardly got holidays), but one of my good festival memories is that of the freshman year Diwali. All colleges have weird traditions and one of ours was that all the senior year students had to take all the freshers out for dinner on Diwali evening. :D But all the students were supposed to walk together from our residential campus to a community center about 5 kilometers away, which is reallllly known for realllly good food, and then would be treated by seniors. We could individually pick any senior we wanted, to treat us. Hahaha, it was fun. It was a really nice walk I remember, and an interesting way to bond with everybody, making everybody feel like one family celebrating together.

Ahh, sweet days. Thank you for reminding me another one of sweet college memories. Perfect thread to add to the festivity.

Merry Christmas, Moshe. :)

9. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 23, 2019

I hope so!
    it is a donut! it's a jelly donut that is generally given out on Hanukkah! they are called סופגניות (pronounced soof-ganoo-yot)

what an awesome tradition! that's so nice!
    what did you get to eat?

Starcommander, Anshu3110 and Dresa91 like this.
  10. Anshu3110
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 23, 2019

Anshu3110 , Dec 23, 2019 :
    Soof-ganoo-yot looks very delicious! :D

Yeah, we had really good traditions like this.
    Haha, I don't remember what I ate, it was long time back and we all were so tired with the walking. XD But mostly because I was busy talking to the cute senior I picked. :p

Starcommander, MosheG1 and Dresa91 like this.
  11. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 23, 2019

oooooh!
    did anything happen between you!?!

Anshu3110, Starcommander and Dresa91 like this.
  12. Starcommander
    Lollipop Dec 24, 2019

13. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Dec 24, 2019

G_plusone , Dec 24, 2019 :
    Lovely idea for the contest in the holidays season .
    Looking forward to great holiday traditions :)

14. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 24, 2019

Starcommander and Dresa91 like this.
  15. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 24, 2019

Starcommander and Dresa91 like this.
  16. meatandy
    Oreo Dec 24, 2019

meatandy , Dec 24, 2019 :
    One tradition I/we carry on as the oldest surviving male in the family is when we celebrate Christmas.

Actually our family celebrates two Christmases :p The first on December 25th where the majority of presents trade hands and the second on January 7th (Ukrainian Christmas)Where the remaining gifts are given , mainly to the children.:D;)

17. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 24, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 24, 2019 :
    that's so cool!
    I have a friend from the Ukraine, I'll ask him if he does it too!

Starcommander, Dresa91 and meatandy like this.
  18. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Dec 24, 2019

cdnfarmer , Dec 24, 2019 :
    Happy holidays!!!

A tradition that happens between November and February:
    1. When there is snow and even better fresh snow, make Tire (i.e. maple toffee). Explained elsewhere in forum but here is a summary.
      • Boil maple syrup to candy temperature
      • Prepare or press down the snow (best if done 1st or before boiling starts)
      • Pour the boiled syrup on the snow and roll it up immediately with a wooden stick.
      • IMG_20191215_150427_001.jpg
      1. Funny story: lately, I don't have enough hands and time to get the syrup on the snow and rolled up before it gets hard so then it becomes more like candy. It leaves yellow snow where the syrup was... In this case and only this case I can think of , it is acceptable to eat that snow. o_O;)
    2. Family reunite and play card game (thanks to Norwegian friends who taught use Contract).

19. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 24, 2019

yum!
    I actually read about this in a book called "little house on the prairie" when I was a kid and I never forgot about it because I thought it sounded delicious!

so cool to see that people still do that...
    send some to me!

20. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Dec 24, 2019

The1Lion , Dec 24, 2019 :
    Every year at Thanksgiving, most of us will have dinner at my Mom's. It's usually at this dinner that we make plans for Christmas. We'll pick a date and time to once again meet at Mom's. It has become a bit of a challenge now. We use to do it every Christmas Eve but with the children now getting older and working, we have even more schedules to contend with. We get together, exchange gifts, eat, drink and be merry! ;):D

21. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 24, 2019

nice! there is no greater thing then family! keep the tradition alive man!

meatandy and The1Lion like this.