1. pdxtechy
    Froyo Dec 29, 2019

pdxtechy , Dec 29, 2019 :
    thanks, we thoroughly enjoy it

Impersonal and MosheG1 like this.
  2. aolirl
    Honeycomb Dec 30, 2019

aolirl , Dec 30, 2019 :
    Well this is a really nice thread, nice to read other people's traditions.

So I'm not based in the U.S but I'll post what we do to share.

for the past number of years we travel to a new destination to spend Christmas in a different environment. It's a perfect time for us to travel because we are both on holidays from work for 2 weeks.

This year we travelled to Terschelling Island on the north coast of The Netherlands, somewhere my partner was many years ago but where I never visited before. We enjoyed ourselves emensly with a lot of walking, eating good food, drinking great beer and a little bit of shopping.

Here are some images from the trip:
    1577699591760.jpg

1577699618163.jpg

1577699649403.jpg

3. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Dec 30, 2019

Ruby G. , Dec 30, 2019 :
    Ha yes, it's a different zodiac animal each lunar year :)

MosheG1 likes this.
  4. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 30, 2019

meatandy and Ruby G. like this.
  5. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 30, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 30, 2019 :
    that is such a cool tradition!
    I want to travel every Christmas!

meatandy and aolirl like this.
  6. aolirl
    Honeycomb Dec 30, 2019

aolirl , Dec 30, 2019 :
    yes it's a nice time to travel, last year we went to Portugal, Lisbon for a city trip. we opted for a warmer climate then and took in a lot of museums.

it can be an expensive time to fly but if you book your flights early you could get a good dea!

MosheG1 likes this.
  7. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 30, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 30, 2019 :
    I'm coming with you next year!
    =D

aolirl and meatandy like this.
  8. DashSoulja
    Donut Dec 31, 2019

DashSoulja , Dec 31, 2019 :
    My Holidays Tradition: Christmas Lights Hunting

Every year on the night of Christmas, when the streets are quiet and empty, we would hop in our car stocked with our favourite hot drinks and snacks, and venture out into new neighbourhoods to explore and go Christmas lights hunting around various residential areas of our metropolitan city. This has been our own special little tradition of celebrating and enjoying the festive vibe of this holiday.

Year after year, we would surprise ourselves while cruising around and stumble upon really creative or extravagant decorations that would blow our minds away. This year, the winner was this one house that really took our breath away for the incredible amount of thoughts, planning, labour, and time spent literally and carefully wrapping everything in lavish colourful lights for everyone to enjoy. The experience was so immersive that the picture could only capture one glimpse of the setup. We estimated there were no less than 20,000 to 30,000 light bulbs throughout the entire setup at this one single house. It would take about 4-5 pictures to even attempt to showcase and capture a more wholesome experience. What the picture also doesn't show is the inconceivable level of attention and details put into setting, wrapping, and meticulously securing every lights. No picture would do it justice really. At the end, it completely left us in awe as we all walked away wondering the same thing: "Can we come back to watch you unwrap and take everything down?"

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

And here are some more of our best photos capturing our hunting journey this year. All shot with OnePlus 6 using the Nightscape mode. Hope you enjoy it. Happy Holidays everyone! :) Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage.png
    Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg

9. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 31, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 31, 2019 :
    awesome, that house is crazy!

DashSoulja likes this.
  10. aolirl
    Honeycomb Dec 31, 2019

aolirl , Dec 31, 2019 :
    yes I can imagine there are masses of extension leads used. nice to see the illumination.

DashSoulja and MosheG1 like this.
  11. FaradaySage
    Eclair Jan 1, 2020

FaradaySage , Jan 1, 2020 :
    We have a tradition in Ecuador (we travel from the USA to visit family in Guyaquil, Ecuador) for New Year's Eve to burn colorful or famous puppets. This burns away the negative memories and bad luck of the previous year, so we can start fresh in the new year. In a common area, many fireworks are packed inside the puppets, neighbors and strangers and family and friends all celebrate and cheer the fireworks at midnight, hugging each other and happily watching the small infernos.

Each family returns to their home for a midnight dinner, some homes sing dance and play loud music until 0800! Traditional songs mixed with the newest music makes everyone happy and excited for the new year!
    1577908043254.jpg

1577908043319.jpg

1577908550078.jpg

Ruby G., G_plusone and MosheG1 like this.
  12. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Jan 2, 2020

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jan 2, 2020 :
    so cool!
    what's with the creepy clown and other scary dude?

13. F1556204523619
    Froyo Jan 3, 2020

F1556204523619 , Jan 3, 2020 :
    Gather round, Boys and Girls! Let ol' Spencer regale you with a tale so wacky, so sanity-testing, so bragging-laden (you'll see) that you'll have to take a rain check on eating Granny's figgy pudding (inside joke) until your mental equilibrium returns. And I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

You see, the high school I went to (Columbia High School or CHS) is the birthplace of the sport Ultimate (formerly known as Ultimate Frisbee).

(^^^ There's the bragging.)

For those of you who have never heard of Ultimate, it's a team sport that combines elements of Soccer/Futbol, American Football and Basketball. Two teams of seven players compete to score points by throwing a 175 gram Frisbee (referred to as a "disc") from one player to another until one team member catches it in an end zone. It starts with a "pull" (the Frisbee equivalent of a kick-off in football) from one side of the field to another. Once the other team either catches the Frisbee or picks it up should it hit the ground, that team's player then has to plant a pivot foot and pass the disc to one of his teammates. They have ten seconds in which to do it once he's covered by the other team. If the disc isn't passed in the ten seconds, it's a turnover. If the passed disc is dropped, goes out of bounds or is blocked or intercepted - turnover. Play continues until a point is scored, at which point the non-scoring team sets up at the other end zone and there is another pull. Usually, the games go until one team scores a set number of points, or whichever team has the higher score after a set amount of time.

When a formal school team was formed at CHS in 1969, some of the members were seniors who went off to college at the end of the school year. That Thanksgiving, after many tasty meals were eaten - those returning graduates (or alumni) played against the active team on their "field," a lit asphalt parking lot (referred to as "The Lot" - I told you this tale was wacky). Thus, the first annual Columbia High School Ultimate Alumni Thanksgiving Game was born.

This past Thanksgiving, was the FIFTIETH annual CHS Alumni Game.

Imagine, if you will, past graduates (this year, from 1972 until 2019) descending on a lit, asphalt parking lot after eating a filling Thanksgiving meal to run after a flying piece of plastic in 20-40 degree Fahrenheit weather (sanity-testing!). And although the teams in play are each comprised of seven players, there are rosters of substitutes on both sides (the active team this year was probably about 30 players large, the alumni team was probably 40-50). It is customary for the player rosters to change after three points total are scored. Which means those players are standing around in the cold for many minutes before they get the opportunity to play again (MORE sanity-testing!).

Now the Active team has captains who pick what players are going to play. But who do the returning Alumni have?

They've got me. Well, technically, they HAD me. I retired as CHS Alumni Coordinator this past game, after holding the position for TWENTY-FIVE years. I'll soon be handing my clipboard and pen over to someone else. Fortunately for me, the Alumni beat the Actives 22-20 (the Alumni Game is usually to 21 points, winning by two points or more, with a cap at 25 points). So I ended my tenure on a high note. :)

G_plusone and MosheG1 like this.
  14. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Jan 3, 2020

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jan 3, 2020 :
    awesome! I'm a big fan of the sport and play it often.
    do you per chance know mkbhd?

15. DashSoulja
    Donut Jan 3, 2020

DashSoulja , Jan 3, 2020 :
    Oh ya, there must be. But surprisingly, the owner kept the entire setup really clean, almost impossibly clean. Even the cords wrapping around every tree and object are neatly done and equally spaced out. It's like the owner intentionally made an art out of it. Other cords are either buried underground or well secured on the lawn, again equally spaced out. Could hardly see anything else other than the lights. It's really mind-blowing.

aolirl and MosheG1 like this.
  16. DashSoulja
    Donut Jan 3, 2020

MosheG1 likes this.
  17. F1556204523619
    Froyo Jan 3, 2020

As a matter of fact, yes. He's taller than me, younger than me and a MUCH better player than me.
    :)

Where do you play?

MosheG1 likes this.
  18. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Jan 3, 2020

I don't play professionally. just for fun with my friends from time to time

meatandy likes this.
  19. F1556204523619
    Froyo Jan 3, 2020

Same here. MOST people don't play professionally - although there are club teams and summer leagues. Allow me to rephrase: Geographically, where do you play? :)

MosheG1 likes this.
  20. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Jan 3, 2020

new York and new jersey

F1556204523619 and meatandy like this.