How 5G will transform the IoT landscape

1. David Y.
    OS Product Marketing Staff Member Feb 3, 2020

David Y. , Feb 3, 2020 :
    Nice tag, plusone. We staff in China are requested to work from home starting from today to Feb 9th. We will be back at the office on the 10th. Software updates may be delayed due to this arrangement, we appreciate everyone's understanding.

Stay strong, my community folks.

2. v1adimir
    Eclair Feb 3, 2020

v1adimir , Feb 3, 2020 :
    Thank you for this status update!..:) You too, best wishes from Belgrade, Serbia!

3. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Feb 3, 2020

G_plusone , Feb 3, 2020 :
    Thanks for Information David.
    Was more concerned about the health of the staff and your other countrymen.
    Hope everyone there is okay

4. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Feb 3, 2020

Bouncer71 , Feb 3, 2020 :
    Stay save David and OnePlus team...!

No update is worth risking anyone's health..!

5. ron2010
    Eclair Feb 3, 2020

ron2010 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Feb 3, 2020 :
    when i look 10 years back and see how many comfort have bring smartphones with 4G i look full happiness forward to 5G. it's amazing how mobile devices have change our lives. you don't have need a computer anymore because a smartphone have so much more possibilities.

6. Ziertus
    Froyo Feb 3, 2020

Ziertus , Feb 3, 2020 :
    Awesome news! Can't wait for 5G to be fully integrated with society.

Helder_DAlmeida and ilham_qrsh like this.
  7. S1575212175818
    Cupcake Feb 3, 2020

ilham_qrsh likes this.
  8. v1adimir
    Eclair Feb 3, 2020

v1adimir , Feb 3, 2020 :
    Ziertus

Awesome news! Can't wait for 5G to be fully integrated with society.

Really?.. You're not even willing to consider a myriad of possible health-and-other issues, regarding 5G technology... I had posted a couple of links, in my previous reply, bottom of first page here.

EDIT: And, anyway, wired could (hopefully, right) be the one possible future and not wireless:

https://www.explainthatstuff.com/broadbandoverpowerlines.html

^^ That is, as soon as technology will allow for ISPs to deliver a high-speed, high-quality service of this kind, meh.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020

Bouncer71 and ilham_qrsh like this.
  9. SeaRefractor
    Froyo Feb 3, 2020

SeaRefractor , Feb 3, 2020 :
    I'm at the current opinion that 5G is a little over-hyped. Unless the deployment of the significant number of millimeter wave towers is completed, the true performance of 5G just isn't fully realized. Without MW bands, 5G is a "marginal" incremental upgrade in performance over the prior 4G LTE. Look at the bandwidth tests from the locations that have 5G locations without the full MW on the few phones available and you'll see that while it's an increase, it's not significant enough for a whole new phone purchase yet.

Since MW density is important and the penetration of the signal is limited into the physical structure of buildings, you'll see what I notice in several business in dense population centers. FemtoCell units designed for MW would need to be purchased and installed in the interior of these buildings to boost MW capacities to the employees of that business. My own employer has these devices, but they are connected to the businesses internet capacity. How many businesses may justify the expense if the productivity of the employees beyond email and VoIP doesn't meet their requirements to be budgeted for?

I hear the promise of the impact to Self-Driving cars and other mobile "high-speed" technologies, but how is this handled if you hit a "dead zone" where there isn't sufficient MW capacity and it seems the telephony carrier simply branded their existing 4G LTE as a 5G symbol on the phone due to a few improvements for "range" that do not impact bandwidth? How about rural areas? There still isn't 100% 4G LTE penetration in many areas of the US landscape even with the maps the carriers show. MW drones will travel through the air for these locations? I'd stick to train and auto travel if that's the case.

Personally I don't see the full promise of 5G wireless until the personal Wi-Fi 6 standard "perishes" and have it's frequencies purchased by the mobile carriers for additional capacity before 5G becomes the future carriers forecast. search "death of wireless" and you'll see that I'm not the only one positing that as an eventual reality for 5G and the frequency spectrum needed.

So at that moment, 5G is promising but is over-hyped too early in the launch. Too bad the level of expectation hasn't been set well.

However, the best part of 5G compared to prior performance increases? It's compatible with 4G LTE. In fact the majority of 5G deployments going on are called "non standalone", meaning that when the phone starts up it has to connect to 4G first and then negotiate the 5G network. Also, unlike 3G which was incompatible with 4G as the spectrum was free'd up, 5G has dynamic spectrum sharing (DSS). DSS lets carriers use the same spectrum for both 4G and 5G. What's interesting is that 4G LTE has the potential to even get faster as it remains and most of the communications are handed off to 5G. This is why you may continue to see 4G LTE "Advanced" continue to be rolled-out in parallel, a 4G LTE service that can theoretically support 2Gbps. ATT in the US is using 4G LTE Advanced for their "5G E" service for example.

It'll be probably over 10 years or more before you see 5G transition to "Standalone" where a 4G connection isn't needed to bootstrap the phone to the 5G network. For those of you rocking 4G LTE now, it'll continue to be available and working well until at least that if not much much longer. Why move to "standalone" 5G if the "non standalone" works well? Also 5G modems consume a lot of power and are not cheap. That IoT device like a door lock or something could be handled very well with 4G, which has chipsets super cheap now.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020

10. W1570031246671
    Cupcake Feb 4, 2020

11. bobsta
    Gingerbread Feb 4, 2020

bobsta , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Feb 4, 2020 :
    Wrong forum. Please use the search function to find out about updates.

12. Ziertus
    Froyo Feb 4, 2020

Ziertus , Feb 4, 2020 :
    I'm not really worried about 5G honestly. Like when people switched from 3G to 4G, people didn't know as much back then and didn't make a huge fuss. It's not like we're all dying from 4G now. 5G is just more information transfer and a different frequency. With the way technology has adapted to have so many devices connected at once, 5G is definitely a warm welcome for most people. 5G actually will mainly operate at the same conditions as 4G, except it can lower its frequency band for high traffic transfer. If you're not afraid of 4G, I don't think you should be afraid of 5G unless you live beside the cell tower/infrastructure.

v1adimir likes this.
  13. T1568987715311
    Cupcake Feb 5, 2020

G1577245367846 likes this.
  14. TobeRobert
    Froyo Feb 5, 2020

TobeRobert , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 5, 2020 :
    I predict a side effect to widespread 5G. The increased thru-put will drive (and require) many more connected devices. From what I have read, 5G devices will function much like the old Nextel devices, in that they will serve to pass along data to/from other devices.

But because most people spend most of their time at home, they switch to wifi 2.4/5 GHz. These wifi bands may not sufficiently support all the additional devices that will develop along with higher bit rates of streaming. However, the seldom seen Wifi 802.11ad at 60Ghz (commonly called Wigig) could do this.

So I would suggest to OP: start planning for Wigig modems in their future McClaren phones. This will open a new product market virtually ignored in the past. Wigig devices need Wigig routers. OP McClaren routers would be the next logical step. 😎

Helder_DAlmeida and bobsta like this.
  15. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Feb 5, 2020

Bouncer71 , Feb 5, 2020 :
    Oh boy...
    Had that Powerline stuff from 2001 till 2003...
    Was totally unreliable and the provider stopped the service a year later with loss...
    Well it could have grown up and advanced..

But I'd rather bet on glass fiber for home use...
    Theoretically 255TB/s possible... ;)

v1adimir likes this.
  16. manideepgoka
    Donut Feb 5, 2020

Texasaggie1 likes this.
  17. 9453042756
    Cupcake Feb 6, 2020

18. Texasaggie1
    US Brand Ambassador Feb 6, 2020

Texasaggie1 , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 6, 2020 :
    Really good article Wissam! Not sure which one I'm looking forward to the most. I'm an IT security guy and iot has really dropped the ball in that department lol 🤣🤣. Get the security and privacy worked out and all of this sounds so exciting!

buntycubal likes this.
  19. Texasaggie1
    US Brand Ambassador Feb 6, 2020

buntycubal likes this.
  20. xianshan@
    Cupcake Feb 7, 2020