How are you celebrating the 4th of July?

1. David X. NA Copywriter Staff Member Jul 3, 2019

David X., Jul 3, 2019 :
    july4header.png

Hi folks,

With Independence Day fast-approaching, I hope everyone's busy making some awesome weekend plans. Here in New York we're expecting light clouds on Thursday, with thunderstorms to follow over the weekend.

This year, I'm planning to get out of the city to do some kayaking on the Hudson River. Objectives include a picnic on the river —maybe a little cheeseboard and some good bread, a nice book (currently reading some loose-leaf Stuart Dybek short stories), and a short hike in the woods.

In the evening, I'm taking out the tongs and doing some grilling. Thinking something along the lines of Cajun-inspired hot dogs —spicy andouille sausage with light cajun seasoning, okra relish, diced onion, and a dab of Crystal hot sauce on a hot dog bun. Unconventional? Yes. Tasty? Yes!

Bonus points if we can get a nice bonfire going, and roast some s'mores over the fire (hot tip: get strawberry-flavored marshmallows if they're available. They go great with milk chocolate).

What are your plans for Independence Day? If you've got some recipes bookmarked, be sure to share them in this thread!

Dresa91, superplus and Ruby G. like this.
  2. Logancd1 Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 3, 2019

Logancd1, Jul 3, 2019 :
    As of this moment, I have no plans; which means I'll be sitting at home playing Rocket League or rewatching episodes of Psych.

3. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Jul 3, 2019

Ruby G. and superplus like this.
  4. superplus English POC Assistant Head Moderator Jul 3, 2019

superplus, Jul 3, 2019 :
    +1 for the recipe please @David X. sounds like great plans and tasty food all around! especially the @Crystal Z. hot sauce ;) jk, I brought back some Crystal hot sauce from the States last time, can't get it here, but discovered Frank's hot sauce here, which also seems decent

B_Wrath and SoniaB like this.
  5. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Jul 3, 2019

SoniaB, Jul 3, 2019 :
    Frank's is pretty good replacement.

But lol. Imagine a @Crystal Z. and a @hotsauce [​IMG]

B_Wrath, hotsauce and superplus like this.
  6. superplus English POC Assistant Head Moderator Jul 3, 2019

B_Wrath, hotsauce and SoniaB like this.
  7. Ippolito1971 Honeycomb Jul 4, 2019

Ippolito1971, Jul 4, 2019 :
    Going to a cheer gym family BBQ / fireworks show. Should be a blast! (no pun intended [e]1f602[/e])

8. A1561668121101 Cupcake Jul 5, 2019

9. David X. NA Copywriter Staff Member Jul 8, 2019

David X., Jul 8, 2019 :
    Hi friends,

Here's my two-step recipe for the okra relish! It's super simple and usually takes me no more than 10 minutes. It definitely helps if you have a food processor or blender though.

I start with a jar of pickled okra since fresh okra is hard to find in my neighborhood grocery store. This makes it much easier to make the relish since you don't have to pickle the okra yourself.

Ingredients:

- Pickled Okra
    - Red Onions
    - Cherry tomatoes
    - Jalapeno
    - Sugar

Note: I eye-ball all the ingredients by thinking about the composition of relish I'd like, but generally I'd recommend the following ratios:

- Use 1/2 a large red onion, or a whole small red onion per jar of pickled okra.
    - Add cherry tomatoes, jalapeños, and sugar to taste (adding a little bit at a time and constantly tasting the mixture).

Directions:

1. Pulse the pickled okra, red onions, cherry tomatoes, and jalapeño (with the seeds removed) in a food processor or blender (I use a Vitamix and the pulse function works). You can dice the ingredients with a knife as well, though this will be time-consuming.

2. Add sugar to taste, 1 tablespoon at a time. Make sure to mix well between tastings.

Annnnd done!