How can I see if I am on call waiting when I call someone

1. xaphs
    Donut Apr 20, 2021

xaphs , Apr 20, 2021 :
    Hi all,
    When I call someone, how can I tell if I am on call waiting? On previous phones, when I was calling someone and they where speaking to another line, I was getting a message down on the display "Call Wait". How can I have it on the 8T

Gor.V likes this.
  2. TheMystic
    Lollipop Apr 20, 2021

TheMystic , Apr 20, 2021 :
    You will hear a 'busy' tone (something like 'tone', 'tone') when the other person is already on a call.

Gor.V likes this.
  3. xaphs
    Donut Apr 20, 2021

xaphs , Apr 20, 2021 :
    Here in Greece the providers give you the option to have the second line, just ringing on the back, so when you are on call waiting there are no messages or different tones.
    Any other ideas?

Gor.V likes this.
  4. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Apr 20, 2021

Shailender Sharma , Apr 20, 2021 :
    You can enable/check Call waiting on 8T through the steps mentioned below. But this option is ISP dependent (You can activate the option, if your network providers, provides it)

Go to Phone - Tap three dots in top right corner - Select Settings - Calling accounts - SIM 1 - More features - Tap Caller ID & Call waiting - Enable Call waiting

Screenshot_20210420-195939.jpg

If you have a working second SIM, activate for the SIM 2 also.

Gor.V likes this.
  5. xaphs
    Donut Apr 21, 2021

xaphs , Apr 21, 2021 :
    Thanks for the answer, maybe I have not explained correctly the problem.
    I want to know if the person I am calling has me on call waiting, My call waiting is working and when they call me I can see who is calling.

Gor.V likes this.
  6. CHAUHAN_AMIT
    Froyo Apr 22, 2021

CHAUHAN_AMIT , via OnePlus 8T , Apr 22, 2021 :
    I dont think one can choose among people, who to put on call waiting and who not !
    Its each person's their own decision whether they want to activate call waiting or not. Its network & device dependent.
    You can't have this setting where you can put a single person on call waiting.
    There is another term- call -hold, incase you are confused between the two.
    You will hear a tone, if your call is put on hold .
    Another is call blocking.
    You just call from another number, if you want to know if your current no. Is added to block list or not.

Gor.V likes this.
  7. drmartin
    Moderator Moderator Apr 22, 2021

8. eastbay
    Lollipop Apr 22, 2021

Gor.V likes this.
  9. xaphs
    Donut Apr 26, 2021

xaphs , Apr 26, 2021 :
    The problem is that I cannot see if I am the second line, while using any other phone I can see it.

Gor.V likes this.
  10. psygarden , via OnePlus 8T Aquamarine Green , Apr 26, 2021 :
    If the person you're call has activated call waiting for their number and they are on a call, then you'll hear something like 'The person is speaking to someone else, you can wait or call again later'.
    If you have it activated on your number then when you're on a call and you receive a second call, in that case they'll hear the same tone and you'll get the call screen and options to hold and accept call or end first call and accept second.

Gor.V likes this.
  11. xaphs
    Donut Apr 26, 2021

xaphs , Apr 26, 2021 :
    Let me say it once more. There is no such message when on call waiting in many lines in Greece. On my previous phones, I was getting a popup on the phone saying "Call Waiting" , so I was able to hang up and stop ringing the other person that apparently was on another line.
    I have call waiting on mine active and if someone calls he can only hear my line ringing, while I get an beep.
    Is it more clear now?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021

Gor.V likes this.
  12. Gor.V
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 26, 2021

Gor.V , Apr 26, 2021 :
    Hey there. Okay please check below to see if that makes sense to you. Thanks.

"If the person you are calling is on the phone and has the Call Waiting facility enabled then you will get the normal ringing tone until they answer. If they do not answer, then the call will be switched through to their Voice mail facility, if they have it setup.

If the person you call is on the phone when you call they will receive a tone to indicate to them that there is another call waiting to be answered. They can choose to either put the current call on hold and answer you or ignore it and you will go through to their Voicemail.

If the person you call doesn't have the Call Waiting facility then you will receive the busy signal if they are already on the phone."

Excerpt taken from:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/341864/Call waiting notification when calling someone

13. Gor.V
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 26, 2021

Gor.V , Apr 26, 2021 :
    If the above still fails to address your query then I think what will work best is to contact customer support for your network provider and hopefully they would help you out there because every country has a different version of call waiting as it is apparent from the explanations by various users above.

14. xaphs
    Donut Apr 26, 2021

xaphs , Apr 26, 2021 :
    The problem is not from the provider, if I put my card on another phone, then I get the call waiting popup when the other part is on call waiting, even if the line is ringing.