How Do Connectivity Bands Work?

1. tanner.j.michels
    Gingerbread May 19, 2018

tanner.j.michels , May 19, 2018 :
    Can someone please give me a full explaintion about LTE Bands and how they work in a phone? Do you add hardware for more bands, or can you just do a software update to enable more bands? How does connectivity work? With the Qualcomm 845, it have a 20X modem. some phones are LAA band 46 enabled, yet OnePlus has a Qualcomm 845 and doesn't have LAA band 46. Just like Cat. 16 or Cat. 18. Qualcomm 845 is a Cat. 18 and yet OP6 states it only have a Cat. 16. So now I'm confused! How does this all work. Can a tech person help me understand all of this connectivity stuff?

2. Martin70
    Honeycomb May 19, 2018

3. businessberger
    Cupcake May 19, 2018

businessberger , May 19, 2018 :
    Hi Tanner, I have a similar question and thought I would add it here. Do the bands change per device or do the all have the same ones. I.e. I am in the US and want to buy it while I am here, does this mean it will work when I go back to my European carrier? Seems like last year they had a global version, not sure about this year. Any further information about the bands is helpful. If this hijacks your post or you don't want it here, feel free to delete (thought I would save the thread).