How does sRGB affect screen colour

1. funkyspider
    Froyo Jul 4, 2016

funkyspider , Jul 4, 2016 :
    Just received OP3 today. Really disappointed with the screen colour, specifically the white balance.

Placed next to my OP1, as it was whilst I was setting it up, the white on the 3 is way out. Put on a white sheet of A4 there's no way to get the colour anywhere near. The +1 you can get pretty damned close.

Tweaking the colour balance in display settings causes it to vary from yellow to blue, nowhere near white.

The other issue which stands out on white is that tilting the device ever so slightly causes the "white" to get a very pronounced blue tinge.

Next to +1 screen it's pretty awful! So bad that I'm so surprised that reviewers haven't shouted about it.

So does sRGB change this please.

Ankitbhat12345 and nooi_c like this.
  2. Desertknight
    Gingerbread Jul 4, 2016

Desertknight , Jul 4, 2016 :
    I don't know what you're problem is, the screen is ten times better than OPO's screen if you haven't noticed. I don't get why 70% of people in this forum are only here to hate on Oneplus' products -.-

3. otto2
    Photography Expert Jul 4, 2016

4. funkyspider
    Froyo Jul 4, 2016

I'm giving my impressions and asking a question. I've explained my problem precisely and concisely I'm not sure how to put it in simpler terms for you to understand.

The white is not white.

I've paid my money, waited from the 15th until now to receive the device.

The screen white representation is not correct. If you've nothing constructive to offer or no answer to my question then what's the point in generating noise?

5. janguv
    Honeycomb Jul 4, 2016

janguv , Jul 4, 2016 :
    That is absurd. On what basis are you saying the OP3 screen is better? The effective resolution (being Pentile @ 1080p) is lower, and on the stock colour profile, it's over saturated and awful.

However, the original poster will be happy to know that the sRGB mode is wonderful. The colour representation is excellent, and the white balance isn't so awfully blue-shifted, as it was before. I'm using it now, and it's quite a relief.

Check out Anandtech's revisit for an in-depth review of the mode, but the summary is: really, really good.

simpson21, Vector, jaju123 and 2 others like this.
  6. HellsDelight
    Froyo Jul 4, 2016

7. janguv
    Honeycomb Jul 4, 2016

janguv , Jul 4, 2016 :
    Oh, and as for how it works, I think in basic terms: most webcontent is configured to meet a colour profile (sRGB). The mode essentially changed the colour calibration of the software so that it more faithfully renders colours in line with the sRGB standard.

I've probably put that terribly and committed various errors! If you're after a more technical explanation of how it works, I expect @harlekinwashere will be able to explain!

8. funkyspider
    Froyo Jul 4, 2016

I've not received the OTA yet in UK.
    I may try the "workaround" to force it.

Thanks

9. Wahoux
    Lollipop Jul 4, 2016

Wahoux , Jul 4, 2016 :
    You are just a noob

10. Loveit
    KitKat Jul 4, 2016

Loveit , Jul 4, 2016 :
    sRGB looks like crap. Much prefer the overblown colours of default with colour balance bar reduced.

EDIT - above poster, you definitely will not the white in sRGB mode then. It looks like stained yellow/white.

11. janguv
    Honeycomb Jul 4, 2016

janguv , Jul 4, 2016 :
    How unhelpful. You are just a noob - minus the second 'o'.

simpson21, Jamal751 and spider31 like this.
  12. spooke
    Honeycomb Jul 4, 2016

spooke , Jul 4, 2016 :
    sRGB looks awful, it's so yellow... :/ I'll take the "blue" "inaccurate colours" any day over that.

anz563 and Loveit like this.
  13. Loveit
    KitKat Jul 4, 2016

Loveit , Jul 4, 2016 :
    I done the Germany VPN thing and it worked.

HellsDelight likes this.
  14. Loveit
    KitKat Jul 4, 2016

Loveit , Jul 4, 2016 :
    Yeah, if that's meant to be how white looks then I am Charles Dickens.

spooke likes this.
  15. funkyspider
    Froyo Jul 4, 2016

16. janguv
    Honeycomb Jul 4, 2016

janguv , Jul 4, 2016 :
    Consumers often prefer saturated colour profiles, especially in comparison. However, if you care at all about colour accuracy (maybe you're online shopping, looking at clothes or car paint), then it's essential to have a proper calibration.

The sRGB mode is brilliant. At first, it will look yellowish, but that's simply because you're coming from such a heavily blue-shifted white balance on the default profile.

anoukaimee, j244, Vector and 2 others like this.
  17. towe174
    Froyo Jul 4, 2016

towe174 , Jul 4, 2016 :
    The original (3.1.3) color profile did work quite nicely. Not as good as with the One, but thanks to the slider, you could get it pretty close.

Now, with the sRGB option.. it just makes everything incredibly yellow-stained, somewhere like 50% of the night mode.
    Is this intentional?

18. janguv
    Honeycomb Jul 4, 2016

funkyspider likes this.
  19. Wahoux
    Lollipop Jul 4, 2016

Wahoux , Jul 4, 2016 :
    Last weeks, on the forum, their is only stupid new thread made by people who don't know how use a smartphone.

Just look here, the guy complain about the screen and few posts later, say that he haven't tried the OTA ( so I don't understand why he is talking about RGB if he don't have installed the last update...) :rolleyes:

otto2 likes this.
  20. janguv
    Honeycomb Jul 4, 2016

janguv , Jul 4, 2016 :
    I'm pretty sure that's just a side effect of having the whites before so blue. Give it some time, and you'll adjust to the way the sRGB mode looks.

otto2 and jaju123 like this.