Answered How Dual Sim works on 6T

1. O1566281892829
    Cupcake Aug 20, 2019

O1566281892829 , Aug 20, 2019 :
    hello,

I'm thinking of getting a 6T which has dual SIM functionality. I've never had a dual SIM phone before and am not entirely sure how it works.

I'm tied in a UK Virgin contract which gives me good data but I now need to frequently use my phone in a location where Virgin call reception is poor (I have WiFi). I intend to get an additional different network SIM for calls.

So I intend to use these SIMs
    a) Virgin (which uses EE) &
    b) Vodafone or O2 (haven't got SIM yet)

What's the practical reality of using dual sim's in a 6T? My hope and idea is that the virgin SIM can be almost permanently used for data, and sometimes using Virgin for voice (I have lots of contract talk time), and that my other SIM (either Vodafone or O2) is purely used for voice (and only in rare circumstances used for data).

Would that work as I've suggested?

How about, when someone calls my Vodafone/O2 phone number using WhatsApp or Facetime and I'm using Virgin data, does my phone know what to do??? Silly question perhaps but I just don't know!

Please give any of your own experiences using dual SIM.

Thank you

2. Horsault
    Marshmallow Moderator Aug 20, 2019

Horsault , Aug 20, 2019 :
    You phone is dual SIM, dual standby.
    You'll be able to pass and answer calls from both SIMs, and select automatically or manually the SIM you're using to call.
    If you're on a call on a SIM and get a call on the other SIM at the same time, this other call will be directed to voicemail. But you can have dual call on same SIM.
    You'll be able to text from either SIM too.
    As for data, you have to choose which card should be used. All accounts and apps will work on data or on wifi. The only limitation is that your carrier must allow VoLTE for you to have data while on call. And you can't hava data from SIM1 if calling on SIM2 (or reverse).

3. O1566281892829
    Cupcake Aug 20, 2019

O1566281892829 , Aug 20, 2019 :
    Thank you Horsault.
    Just out of interest, is there any difference in dual SIM functionality between the 5T & 6T?
    I just saw a good price used 5T, and that might hold me over for now until I can shop for the 7....

4. Horsault
    Marshmallow Moderator Aug 20, 2019

Horsault , Aug 20, 2019 :
    All OnePlus devices work the same.
    But I wouldn't buy a 2 years old device, while EU warranty is 2 years when bought from OnePlus or official resellers (like O2 in UK).

5. O1566281892829
    Cupcake Aug 20, 2019