How I got selected for the OnePlus 9 Lab?

1. missmobiletech
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Mar 19, 2021

missmobiletech , Mar 19, 2021 :
    Well, the truth is, it was as much a surprise for me as probably for any of the other selected people. I know that's not what you want to hear but up until I received the email, I was sure I wouldn't get in. Mostly because I assumed there would be a lot of applicants and honestly, I was okay with that. I think that's the way to go into this, expectations not too high but most importantly, the way I went into this is probably my personal 'secret'. So let's go.

handen.jpeg

How it started
    When I got the first email from OnePlus a few weeks ago about the Lab being back, I have to say I looked it over, thought about it for a while and went on with my workday. Not because I wasn't interested, I loved seeing this come back again but I actually thought, there will be at least hundreds of people entering, why should I bother. And yes, I really thought hundreds, can you imagine what I thought when I saw the actual number.. but back to the point. I started thinking about what it had said on the OnePlus Lab application page about writing a review and that's when I realized I would send in my application.

Why I started
    I have a YouTube channel, it's not big yet but who knows, anyways my point is, when I saw that application I started thinking of the reasons I started that channel.

I knew I loved watching, reading and talking about smartphones and other mobile tech for years already, I just hadn't done anything with it. I watched YouTube video reviews for hours at a time, loving the fact people were making content about things I loved to talk about. I read articles and reviews on multiple websites just to learn more and at some point I decided to try it out for myself. Although it took me a while, I got into it. I found my way of filming, talking and although I'm not saying I'm great or good at all, I know I have a lot more to learn, I just love to do it! Slowly I also started sharing my opinion in the written word, small reviews on mostly Dutch review websites. I had read a lot of them so I knew what people wanted to hear about phones like categories and functions / specifications. Of course naming just what a phone can do and what hardware is being used is not even close to enough. So what is?

What I wrote
    Well, I won't tell you actually what I wrote on my application since it's personal and because it would sort of feel like cheating. Like I said it's not enough to just name specs and be done with it. What I did was point out my own experiences both good AND bad, because a good review always has a few things that are not completely to your liking or just could be better. I really tried to make the reader understand how I felt about the things I mentioned. Not just naming a function but expressing what effect it had on the phone and, very important, myself. Also yes I do mentioned some of the specs but I stayed away from just naming what the phone can do and moving on. The reader can check a spec sheet if they want to know that. Maybe what helped was the fact I already loved talking about this so much. I actually wrote this application in about an hour from start to finish, after that I polished it here and there but the fact was I just layed out a few points I wanted to mention and build my application around them. I started typing and basically just like this post, after a while a had a full blown article. I send it and that was it.

My secret
    Well, if you've waited 'till now to read this section you might be surprised or disappointed. I don't actually have a physical secret to share but what I think could have been a contributing factor is the fact I love it. Like I've mentioned a few times throughout this post, I just love talking about smartphones and mobile tech. I am not the person who will check your clothes, shoes or something like that when you walk in a room. I am the person when you walk into the room, the first chance I get, I will look at your phone. I love them, I try to know as much about them as possible, not because I have to but because I want to. That is how I went into this application, I didn't expect to win, absolutely not actually. I wrote the application because it was about something I loved, something I used every day so I knew what kind of effect it had on me and I knew I could illustrate this to the reader. I wrote it because it came naturally and I have a passion for the subject. Maybe that is my secret after all, my passion.

Hope this was helpful, good luck to everyone and don't give up before you try! You might surprise yourself. I know I did.

Oh and should you be curious, both my YouTube and Instagram are @missmobiletech

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021

2. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Mar 19, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Mar 19, 2021 :
    Thanks for this thread
    @Bittoo06 @McJader
    You guys might find this useful for the next try😉

3. Dhruv Kashyap
    Jelly Bean Mar 19, 2021

4. missmobiletech

5. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Mar 19, 2021

Tokolozi , Mar 19, 2021 :
    Great Read, this is a perfect beginning on the Community and us to get to know you as a reviewer/Lab participant beforehand.

It's great to see such things posted here in comparison to the "student ambassadors" in the past where we active members only knew them thanks to their goodbye threads.

Clear and precise text already, I can see why you're selected and am looking forward to the Review!
    Best of luck!

Caomhin, meatandy, superplus and 7 others like this.
  6. missmobiletech

Thank you so much, that really means a lot to me!

I actually have been on the forum for a long time, I was active a lot but some things in my life changed (not only my phones) and I faded to the background. But here I am again, very glad to have been selected and very enthusiastic to start!

7. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Mar 19, 2021

Damn we all are so similar (nerds) hahaha😂
    However my eyes go to the TV and HTs first, then phones👀

@dsmonteiro This is a thread worth pinning
    @Isab3lla If possible, can you illustrate the article with some photos as it can help more people who are confused on which kind of shots are required....and it will also make the article turn into a good and interesting read😉

8. Tokolozi

I saw you already had some posts on your name :)

I honestly don't care if the LAB reviewers were active here before or not. As long as the end product is worth it.

But a introduction like yours is certainly a good start so our more regular members can know what's going on.

9. McJader
    Lollipop Mar 19, 2021

McJader , Mar 19, 2021 :
    Agreed, often times people just go on praising the brand and the phone, with the intention of gaining brownee points, but it doesn't make for a very interesting read.
    I realized this in the past year or so. You will get good news when you least expect it. When we enter any competition, we must not enter with the expectation of winning, but enjoy the preparatory phase, in which we actually write on a topic that we are passionate about.
    Thanks for the tag, might've missed it.
    :confused::confused:
    Indeed, really appreciate this, @Isab3lla , thanks for the thread:):)

10. Tokolozi

You know the sad 6mo goodbye threads, where everyone wonders who the hell they are?

Caomhin, KaranRIyer and McJader like this.
  11. missmobiletech

Thank you so much, I'm very glad you liked it :hearteyes: and I truly hope my reviews will live up to your expectations :blush:

12. McJader
    Lollipop Mar 19, 2021

McJader , Mar 19, 2021 :
    Haha even if they don't (unlikely), you can always come back and read this thread:p;)
    Ah yes, I want to interview one of them:rolleyes:

13. missmobiletech

hahaha that's very true! :) I'll keep that in mind ;):D

14. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Mar 19, 2021

15. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Mar 19, 2021

dsmonteiro , Mar 19, 2021 :
    Just stumbled upon it, and totally agree! (Didn't get the tag, though. Did you edit it in?)

Caomhin, superplus, Nipu_1998 and 6 others like this.
  16. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Mar 19, 2021

Tags are broken I guess...literally no one is gettin my tags
    Let's test @Venky61

17. dsmonteiro

They aren't. It's just because you added the tag after the post was created. In any case, all worked out in the end.

Caomhin, Nipu_1998, Venky61 and 5 others like this.
  18. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 19, 2021

KaranRIyer , Mar 19, 2021 :
    Full on Trolling for Student Ambassador s.🤣🤣🤣

PavanRa0, Tokolozi and McJader like this.
  19. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 19, 2021

KaranRIyer , Mar 19, 2021 :
    Thanks for the share @Isab3lla . Lovely thread. Great for you to share. ..

@dsmonteiro . Is it possible for all the winners to share their experiences this way and make one mega thread. Suitable for the theme for Release.. I know its the winners choice after all. Just an idea that popped in my head...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021

Nipu_1998, Tokolozi and SoniaB like this.
  20. dsmonteiro

As you said so yourself,

😉

Caomhin, superplus, Tokolozi and 5 others like this.