How long shall it be, before you pay the sum of your student loans?

?

How long shall it be, before you pay the sum, of your student loans?

Poll closed Dec 15, 2014.
  1. 5 years

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. 10 years

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. 15 years

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Never, I'm passing the dept for the kids.

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. olaso
    Froyo Dec 12, 2014

olaso , Dec 12, 2014 :
    Costa Rica, I went to Costa Rica's Institute of Technology, which is among the best in America, and Costa Rica's University is among the top 30 universities in Latin America

Tiger Costen likes this.
  2. jadecolour
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 12, 2014

jadecolour , Dec 12, 2014 :
    Don't just blindly go to a college because every other kid does. Work for several years. Be thrifty, save a bit, know what you want to do for the rest of your life, then decide. Especially true if you don't have rich parents to foot the bill for you. Oh, remember, don't do drug or knock girls up before you decide on college education, you don't want to be a father at your 20s.

Tiger Costen likes this.
  3. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Dec 12, 2014

Dr. Indest , Dec 12, 2014 :
    I have been in graduate school for only 2 years. I already have a $100,000 loan at 8.5% variable interests. Yes, that is right, variable (and compound)! In 5 months, I will enter the tri-semester cycle of my program and add on $75,000 a year for the next 2 years. When all is said and done, I'll have a $350,000 loan, NOT accounting the compound interest. By now, I have earned $10,000 in interest. This is compound interest, so it is an exponentially growing interest (getting charged interest on interest). By the time I graduate, I will expect a $400,000+ loan. With that, I will probably obtain a job with a starting salary of $40,000/year BEFORE taxes. I will also be in a job where I will (statistically speaking) be guaranteed at least 1 lawsuit before the end of my career. Also, I am e pissing away my youth, since I won't graduate till I am roughly 30 years old (and I have been in college since the age of 15, granted, I wasted 2 years in research).

Tl;dr: just read the bold parts.

dsmonteiro likes this.
  4. jadecolour

jadecolour , Dec 12, 2014 :
    I like to live in that country, bother to name it? Never mind, saw it. Costa Rica.

olaso likes this.
  5. antiprism
    Gingerbread Dec 12, 2014

antiprism , Dec 12, 2014 :
    I luckily live in Belgium, so I was able to pay for my education every year while studying (about €600 a year I think). I finished my education, no loans or anything left.

Tiger Costen and dsmonteiro like this.
  6. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Dec 12, 2014

dsmonteiro , Dec 12, 2014 :
    Portugal has free education until college. After that, it's around 1000€ per year, but families with low income get scholarships that cover part or all the expenses.

My course costs more than 5000€/student/year and with pay less than one fifth.

Each medicine student globally costs more than 100k and they pay the same as me.

7. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Dec 12, 2014

In the US, it cost about $20-25k a semester, depending where you go. I wrote a breakdown of the cost above.

8. dsmonteiro

My like in your post means 'I feel for you, bro'.

That's plain ridiculous. Not even in private schools (which are worse than public ones) you pay anything remotely near that.

Tiger Costen and Dr. Indest like this.
  9. The Earl of Twatshire
    KitKat Dec 12, 2014

The Earl of Twatshire , Dec 12, 2014 :
    I never had to pay back my parents, they sadly died in a shot gun related accident. It was tragic and I was in no way involved......

Nilesh Sajnani likes this.
  10. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Dec 12, 2014

Oh and that does not include the cost of caffeine. I run roughly on 800 mg or more of caffeine. I have actually gone to 1.4 grams/day before. I sleep on average 3 hours a night and I have done so for the last 2 years. I can only imagine the health complications that will result long term, starting with my mamillary bodies and ending with adrenal hyperplasia. Whatever it is, I am sure I'll pay for it in the future. I am sorry, maybe I am a dumbass but, I feel like some topics are way toooooooo big for the amount of time we are given.

11. dsmonteiro

Well, Med students also take a toll here (some use ritalin or even some less licit alternatives) but I don't think it's like that. And I know for a fact that their curriculum is great and they are very well accepted in other countries.

12. Tiger Costen
    Honeycomb Dec 12, 2014

Tiger Costen , Dec 12, 2014 :
    Does anybody find home business start ups helpful, in paying back student loans? If that's too personal to mention, I understand that, however maybe a chance at networking with one another may free up some time and dividends, by a little international commerce.

I don't want to get into any trouble, in the eyes of the OnePlus Administers, by inadvertently initiating a networking hub, within the OnrPlus community, but aren't we all here, because of our common dollar sense? My previous landlord had a Palm Tree shipping company, and shipped other sustainable trees as well, and used the real estate for tax deductibles... All I can say is do your research with Google and the Better Business Bureau, to avoid scams.

13. Gyromax

14. Tiger Costen
    Honeycomb Dec 12, 2014

I'm not trying to give any medical advice, I could say what works best for me. and that included getting an allergy test, to find out what foods I should not digest and then purchasing a juicer and blender to metabolize all raw foods, with the exception of eggs and beans. After the change in food preparation, my life has taken on a change of monumental proportion, cause of treating my body like a well kept temple. ;)

15. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Dec 12, 2014

Yeah, well, I won't go that far to fry my brain with a 5HT/Dop/NE releaser.... but, I don't judge people for it. In my school, about 70% of the student body lives off that. Little do they know the dependency down the line will be grave.

16. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Dec 12, 2014

Yeah, my body is a war-zone. I have already had occult blood in my ________.... with epigastric pain relieved by eating (so I am assuming duodenal ulcers from increase stress and caffeine/monsters)..... Added to that, I live off bismol, so I am sure my GI flora is shot and in revolt. As of now, my body is a war-zone, kept in homeostasis with tylenol, bismol and caffeine. Tylenol being GI safe (to take care of pain and not mess with the COX II of my stomach :p).... My liver is hopefully resilient and can handle the tylenol. When I go back home, I am def gonna get checked out.

17. Tiger Costen
    Honeycomb Dec 12, 2014

I'll tell you like my uncle tells me, "fix it" :cool:

18. JohnNgo
    Honeycomb Dec 12, 2014

JohnNgo , Dec 12, 2014 :
    Right away. I have the fortune of being able to stay with my parents and they're allowing me two years of food and shelter while I pay off my loans. I'm studying Information Systems and am being promised a Salary of around 50-70k when I first graduate, perhaps more because I am focusing on Information and Data Security.

So I fully intend on relying on my parents for basic needs while I sink every paycheck towards my loan principle. My tuition will total 80k, so with a little assistance from my parents, I believe I can knock it out in a little less than two years. It'll take dedication and discipline, but I know I can do it. I'm just glad I get to graduate in 2.5 years rather than 4.

Tiger Costen likes this.
  19. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Dec 12, 2014

I am trying to.... I figured that self-medicating myself should fix it..... but, I could be kidding myself. The bismol will resolve the ulcer (although I might need some cimetidine). Once the ulcer is gone, I can stop the tylenol. Once that is done, my liver can repair itself (although I don't take much tylenol, so I doubt I have liver damage).... and after next Thursday, I'll stop caffeine for 3 weeks. This should put me back to parasympathetics and fix my GI. As long as I did not mess my GI flora too badly, I should be ok.....

It would suck if I need a fecal transplant :/ (that is where you pay a doc to transplant someone's else shit into your intestines, so you can re-establish the needed bacteria).

If all goes well, I won't need the transplant and I would have saved the cost of seeing a doctor.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

Tiger Costen likes this.
  20. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 9, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 9, 2020 :
    I needed no student loans. I had veteran's benefits and commuted to college as an undergrad, and worked my way through grad school.

SUNY undergrad tuition and fees back then came out to ~ $750.00 / year, so it was a bit easier than it is now.

Richard