How robust is the OPO?

1. WillL
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 25, 2015

WillL , Jan 25, 2015 :
    I've just ordered a One for my daughter to replace her Xperia Z (the charge port failed again, Sony already charged me £132 for a repair last time and now want the same again). I'm going to insist that only I charge the phone when she gets it, but what about the earphone socket? She will listen to music a lot which means constant plugging in and unplugging of earphones, is the socket up to the task?

She is also likely to have the speaker on when she is at home listening to music, are they going to go the distance? Ideally I'd like to hear from teenagers with the phone saying how they use it and any problems they've had.

I have a OPO, but take very good care of it so I can't really comment on robustness!

2. carbine30
    Marshmallow Jan 25, 2015

carbine30 , Jan 25, 2015 :
    You made a good choice, speakers are pretty good as well as the earphone socket.

Linanc7, TheCount and m|oW_€¥ like this.
  3. malidan
    Nougat Jan 25, 2015

malidan , Jan 25, 2015 :
    This question again and my answer is still the same below average. A fault riddled device.

4. padma1484
    Cupcake Jan 25, 2015

padma1484 , Jan 25, 2015 :
    correct.but
    i want to gift this mobile to my husband for wedding anniversary.hence m okay to beg

5. marc.teixido
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 25, 2015

marc.teixido , Jan 25, 2015 :
    Mine has handled a few drops and still rocking as the first day

Arcemboldo likes this.
  6. Arcemboldo
    Froyo Jan 25, 2015

Arcemboldo , Jan 25, 2015 :
    Mine as well.

marc.teixido likes this.
  7. HydraSilver
    Gingerbread Jan 25, 2015

HydraSilver , Jan 25, 2015 :
    Watch this stress-test video. At 0:56, you can see them testing the stress on the charging port. At 1:05, they test the durability of audio jack. (Unplugging, + Plugging in 10,000 times)

jbuendia and ollievrv like this.
  8. andyinthailand
    Jelly Bean Jan 25, 2015

9. WillL
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 26, 2015

WillL , Jan 26, 2015 :
    Given the amount of people complaining about cracked screen from very minor drops, I'm suspicious of either their claims or the tests shown in the video.

10. alxndrs
    Gingerbread Jan 26, 2015

alxndrs , Jan 26, 2015 :
    Insist on a case and glass, nothing you can do about the plugs except to remind her.

gmanphx likes this.
  11. 3663
    Honeycomb Jan 26, 2015

3663 , Jan 26, 2015 :
    I am really enjoying my OPO, but I really couldn't recommend it to most people. Its far more a phone for messing around with and flashing custom ROM's. Which isn't most peoples idea of a good phone. Lots of bugs still floating about waiting repairs and from what I have seen, pretty poor customer service.
    For a lot of us here on the forums, the phone is excellent! For the joe public who want to buy a phone, stick a sim card in and forget about it- Not so much. (yet)

manjake likes this.
  12. Linanc7
    Lollipop Jan 26, 2015

Linanc7 , Jan 26, 2015 :
    The large screen and thin bezel probably makes it more fragile than many phones, but also makes it beautiful. Just get a good case and screen protector and all will be good, best of both worlds. Enjoy!

gmanphx likes this.
  13. votazap
    Jelly Bean Jan 26, 2015

votazap , Jan 26, 2015 :
    Only dropped it once, my case fulfilling its purpose in saving my phone. As far as the speakers go, the sound quality is excellent, very loud and crisp. I don't listen to music much on headphones but from my experience they have worked very nicely.

14. vdd65
    Jelly Bean Jan 26, 2015

vdd65 , Jan 26, 2015 :
    I am always skeptical about "in house" testing. I prefer a third party testing.

15. sandordude
    Honeycomb Jan 26, 2015

sandordude , Jan 26, 2015 :
    You have to keep in mind that there's a lot of negative posts in the forums because where else complain when something is wrong with the OPO? Besides of that due to the size of the OPO I think it can crack quite easily. I would recommend you buying a tempered glass and a case, it isn't that expensive. I have both but I've never dropped it so far so I can't say anything about its usefullness. Good luck!

16. Leviatan
    Cupcake Jan 26, 2015

Leviatan , Jan 26, 2015 :
    the opo is large so the stability isn´t as good as a small metall mobile. but the vidio shows, that it is fleible enough to put it in your bags of your trousers. mostly interessted isn´t how often i can throw it against the wall. really important is the technik in your mobile

17. Antoine Vdb
    KitKat Jan 26, 2015

Antoine Vdb , Jan 26, 2015 :
    It is not, the "metal" around the fram, which is made out of plastic chips really easily

18. john.cuming
    Froyo Jan 26, 2015

john.cuming , Jan 26, 2015 :
    I plug the OPO into my car twice a day via the earphone socket and it seems to be robust. The sound is better than from my old S3 as well.

19. amandanguyen93
    Honeycomb Jan 26, 2015

20. oziboy
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 26, 2015

oziboy , Jan 26, 2015 :
    Well...
    When charging the phone you are supposed to let it charge and not 'play on it'...

Doing that may lead to battery failure to explosion...

Also while you play you probably will bend the charging socket to stay a little comfy so that may cause problems, it won't break due to constant plugging/unplugging but it may break when you force the wrong side or do as I stated above.

Another thing is, the xperia Z has another charging port, I think...
    On the side should be a 4 or 5 pin connector with 2 magnetic lids on both sides... You can give it a shot to buy a dock or cable for that tho.
    But an upgrade to OP is worth it.