How safe is the Fingerprint Sensor

?

How personal do you want to get when it comes to security?

1. It is of great concern to me

56 vote(s)
    73.7%
  2. I don't care it is out of my hands

14 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. No opinion

9 vote(s)
    11.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bviengthong
    Honeycomb Aug 28, 2015

bviengthong , Aug 28, 2015 :
    So as some of you know, I have had my OP2 for about a week now. If your interested on my initial impressions go here: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...ought-mini-review.349242/page-2#post-12779714. I must confess, the only thing that prevents me from abandoning my OP over the OP2 is the battery life. I have to charge it every night where as my OP its ever other night. This is also with the same ammount of play or standby time. There is also a another concern....

[​IMG]

As I have gotten to know my OP2, is who or where does the fingerprint data or biometric information go to once registered? Not to dwelve into any type of conspiracy issues, but something that came to mind. I am one to prefer to be off the grid as much as possible, but in todays day and age, we don't have much of a choice.

Any one with any feed back?

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015

Jonnyaw, TheEms55, nerdo and 4 others like this.
  2. prasadranganathan
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2015

bviengthong likes this.
  3. rgs
    Jelly Bean Aug 28, 2015

4. prasadranganathan
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2015

5. bviengthong
    Honeycomb Aug 28, 2015

Thank you, you will enjoy it if you have not already.

6. bviengthong
    Honeycomb Aug 28, 2015

I feel bad for some one who is born without fingerpringts. Go and youtube news reporter who does not have fingerprints.

7. prasadranganathan
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2015

8. Nikolis1
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2015

Nikolis1 , Aug 28, 2015 :
    I see what you mean, many phones are starting to do it..i guess we will have to live with it..if your really that paranoid check the phones log files or set limited permissions on things

9. bviengthong
    Honeycomb Aug 28, 2015

I don't think it has to do with the speed cable for fast charging, there is something within the OP2 that makes itself drain battery faster than the OP.

prasadranganathan likes this.
  10. Flipsidexf
    Eclair Aug 28, 2015

Flipsidexf , Aug 28, 2015 :
    Good question indeed. I think nobody can give you a clear answer at the moment. There will always be ways for bad persons to use your data for their bad Intentions. I don't think that it is this easy to use the fingerprint data which is recorded on your Phone, but nobody knows exactly.

11. rgs
    Jelly Bean Aug 28, 2015

rgs , Aug 28, 2015 :
    Ummm.....I was just joking you know..:confused:

12. bviengthong
    Honeycomb Aug 28, 2015

For sure... I just didn't know where to start. Thanks for the tip.

13. bviengthong
    Honeycomb Aug 28, 2015

14. prasadranganathan
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2015

prasadranganathan , Aug 28, 2015 :
    Since OP has higher end specs the battery gets drain but not like nexus..

15. Flipsidexf
    Eclair Aug 28, 2015

Maybe it will also get better with future Software Updates.

16. risky1301
    Lollipop Aug 28, 2015

risky1301 , Aug 28, 2015 :
    There is no way that I am putting my FP in my phone, now it will be accessible to what ever server has it or who ever hacks or buys the information.

No thank you!

bviengthong and Martino1plus like this.
  17. Flipsidexf
    Eclair Aug 28, 2015

I'm also very sceptic about that and don't know, if the fingerprint can make a lot of things easier or faster compared to the fact, that my fingerprint is saved on the Device or a Server.

18. chagg
    Honeycomb Aug 28, 2015

chagg , Aug 28, 2015 :
    Good question., i had my thoughts on that too. For example i never use my phone for bank transfers (bank apk), buys etc.. how will i share my fingerprints with everyone possible have access to that.

i am having my second thoughts.

19. reginaldyee
    Jelly Bean Aug 28, 2015

20. zaphod-beeblebrox
    KitKat Aug 28, 2015

zaphod-beeblebrox , Aug 28, 2015 :
    A cracked pattern may allow access to your phone. A cracked fingerprint will allow access to your phone also. You can change a cracked pattern though. Also a cracked pattern will only be of value on a device, a finger print will be used for verification to a much greater extent in the future for all sorts of personal identity applications. More so in the near future than is the case now.
    It is essential to know how this information is captured, encrypted, stored and shared by Oneplus.
    Android does not currently have a standard way of handling FP data, and leaves this to each OEM. Marshmellow WILL provide a standard way of providing for fingerprint data.
    Do you trust google enough to manage your fingerprint data for you?
    Personally, I wouldnt trust Oneplus to make sandwiches, let alone keep my fingerprints data safe.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/05/android-fingerprint-readers-may-be-easier-to-hack-than-touch-id/

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015

Methiri and nerdo like this.