Tutorial How to EDIT your photos and videos

1. LulluxD
    Eclair Jun 28, 2017

LulluxD , Jun 28, 2017 :
    Which free video editor would you recommend? It doesn't need to be able to record video.
    Would prefer not getting a logo on the video from the app.

2. NateAteTeen
    Froyo Jul 11, 2017

NateAteTeen , Jul 11, 2017 :
    NathanielYoungOneplus3T_edited_IMG_20170702_134725.jpg

NathanielYoungDSC04706EsRGB.jpg

The biggest misconception in photography I see is that expensive gear buys you better photos, and while more expensive gear can make it easier to capture certain types of photos, it is really the photographer who makes the photo. Above is two photos that I took, and the top one was taken with an OnePlus 3T and edited in Adobe Lightroom Mobile (which is free); the bottom photo was taken with a Sony mirrorless camera and edited in the desktop version of Adobe Lightroom and then further tweaked in with luminosity masks in Adobe Photoshop. Although I edited them slightly differently, the point is that you can take great photos with your phone.

In this tutorial, I will walk you guys through how to use and edit your photos in Adobe Lightroom mobile by walking you guys through on how I edited this photo. I won’t go into the luminosity masks workflow I do in Photoshop because that is out of the scope of this tutorial, and quite a lot harder. Note: you can’t expect to have a good photo if you don’t first find an interesting composition with good light; or basically, don’t expect editing your photos to fake something that doesn’t exist.

The first step before you start editing your photo is to make sure your photo is taken in a raw format (.dng on my OnePlus device) so we can get the most color and dynamic range out of that photo. This is about how the raw photo looked like before I made any adjustments. Notice the photo looked flat in contrast and desaturated, but that is normal for a raw file.

NathanielYoungOnplus3T_unedited_IMG_20170702_134725.jpg

Once you open the Adobe Lightroom mobile app on your phone, you’ll want to click the “Add Photos” button, and select your photo you want to edit. Once it is finished importing the photo, click on it to open it. Okay, now for the fun to begin!!

Screenshot_20170710-171208.jpg

Here is a screenshot of the editing mode, and I’ll describe what each of these numbers are:

1: This is the button you hit once you are finished with editing your photo, and you want to export and share it.

2: This is where your photo is.

3: This is the panel you see when you click on 4. I’ll explain more about this panel later on.

4: Panel 3 shows up after you click it.

5: This is the flag button, so you can sort a lot of photos by checks or X’s so you can remember which photos you liked or disliked.

6: This is the star button, so you can rate your photo from 1 to 5 stars if you have a lot of photos to look through and you want to remember which ones you liked best.

7: This is the crop bottom with basic cropping features.

8: This is the creative color button with some filters to apply to your photo.

9: This is the main editing sliders button which displays panel 4 when clicked. This is the main panel we will be looking at today in this tutorial, and this contains panels 3 and 4.

10: This is the button for local adjustments. This is out of the scope of this tutorial, but basically allows you to apply adjustments to only certain parts of your photo.

Okay, now you have a better idea of how the application is organized, let’s get into some editing.

For this landscape, I want to recreate the aqua colors in the water with this misty atmosphere that I felt why standing on this coastline. So, the first thing I did was bring the highlights in the basic panel to -100 because I want to bring back some of the lost details in the highlight section. Then, I also brought up the shadows to create more dynamic range to +72. I also brought the vibrance all the way up to +97 to really bring out the colors in the water. I bumped the clarity up a little bit to +15 to bring out the lines and textures in the rocks. Then, I bumped up the saturation to intensity the colors a bit to about +12. I also when back to bring the blacks down a bit to -60 to create a natural black point in the photo. I also bumped up the contrast a little bit since the photo was still a little flat looking to +16. I adjusted the temperature to make it a little bluer, and then also adjusted the tint to be a little more purple. Basically, all of these adjustments are to create a contrasty, vibrant photo with more dynamic range.

Next, we move to the tone curve adjustment panel.

Screenshot_20170710-223157.png

I created slight S-curve line for the Point-RGB to create a little more contrast. Then, I switched to the Point-Red curves, and moved the bottom point to the right a little bit to cut out some of the red tint in the shadows I didn’t like. I didn’t touch the Green curves, but for the blues I made a big S-curve to create more contrast in just the blues. I also moved the bottom point up a little bit to give a misty film look to the blue color tones in the shadows which affects the trees in the background. So, the take away from the curves panel is to make a S-curve to create more contrast. Also, if you like the film look, bring the bottom shadows point up a little bit.

I skipped the vignetting panel for this photo, but basically you can control how much of a black or white circle you want around your photo which can be good if you want to frame your subject better by bringing the viewers eyes into the photo. For landscape photos, I typically don’t use it though, but for portraits, I think it can be a really effective technique.

Next, I moved to split toning. Split toning allows you to add a bit of color to the shadows or highlights. For this instance, I choose to add a little dark yellow to the highlights because the sunlight is naturally a warm color. Then, I added some blue to the shadows to bring out the natural blue aqua water colors. The orange/teal look is very popular in Hollywood movies, and I like to add warm colors to the highlights and cool colors to the shadows in my landscape photos. Please don’t go overboard with these adjustments because it can easily look fake if you add non-natural colors to the highlights or shadows.

Next are the Hue, Saturation, and Luminance sliders (HSL) in the Color / B&W tab. These allow you to change the color tones, color brightness (luminance is a fancy word for brightness), and color saturation. I edited all of them to make the blues and purples more aquaish, and the greens a bit more richer. I also made the purples and magentas a bit less saturated because I wanted the main colors in the photo to be the aqua and green hues. My best advice for these sliders is to know how you want the color tones to look like, and then play around with what each one does.

In the dehaze panel, I bumped up the value to +32. Dehaze basically pushes the faded colors in the highlights into the shadows shifting the colors in the histogram to the left. This is best used when you have a slightly washed out sky in a landscape photo, and you want to make it a bit more colorful which will add to the dynamic range of the photo. Also, this slider can be tempting to go overboard.

Finally, always make sure you enable the Lens Correction which accounts for the distortion of the camera lens.

I know this was long, but I hope you guys enjoyed it and thought it was helpful. I am constantly on these social media platforms sharing my photos I take from my various adventures and travels. If you want to support me and follow me photography journey (I really do appreciate it), please check out my photography page at Instagram, 500px, or Facebook:

https://www.instagram.com/nyoungstudios/

https://500px.com/nyoungstudios

https://www.facebook.com/nyoungstudios/

Thank you so much for reading!!

3. script
    Moderator Moderator Jul 11, 2017

script , Jul 11, 2017 :
    Wow, great tutorial. Thank you very much.

I'll watch and protect your threads :)

4. Nithin_Joseph
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 11, 2017

NateAteTeen likes this.
  5. Nithin_Joseph
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 11, 2017

Jessie Michaelis and script like this.
  6. theavesantos
    Donut Jul 11, 2017

7. abhikt
    Cupcake Jul 11, 2017

NateAteTeen likes this.
  8. NateAteTeen
    Froyo Jul 11, 2017

NateAteTeen , Jul 11, 2017 :
    click the menu button on the top left, then click the settings gear button on the top right, then slide the save RAW image to the right

9. theavesantos
    Donut Jul 12, 2017

theavesantos , Jul 12, 2017 :
    thank you

10. Ayush Matta
    Cupcake Jul 13, 2017

11. G_Manuele_Capece_UNRt
    Donut Jul 14, 2017

12. eye842
    Lollipop Jul 14, 2017

eye842 , Jul 14, 2017 :
    Really awesome post and you definitely show that there are improvements to gain from this. Well done.

NateAteTeen likes this.
  13. carrodnun
    Cupcake Jul 14, 2017

14. G_Nagendra_Babu_Kzbr
    Cupcake Aug 8, 2017

G_Nagendra_Babu_Kzbr , Aug 8, 2017 :
    Hi,
    when I try to write something on the image, it's coming very big on screen, is there any chance that we can make it less in size ?
    1502214516341.jpg

15. Harish_thala
    Cupcake Aug 20, 2017

16. Guilherme Fontes
    Honeycomb Aug 22, 2017

Guilherme Fontes , Aug 22, 2017 :
    Best photo editors: Photoshop touch(PS touch), Snapseed and Picsart, mentioned from the better, most complete and in my opinion the better to the worst. So in my opinion the PS touch is the better one because you can make so much on it. You don't really need to have a PC to do some manipulation. Snapseed is a great photo editor, not so much for manipulation but for the rest is awesome and is really really ez to use, it is so intuitive.

17. Guilherme Fontes
    Honeycomb Aug 22, 2017

Best photo editors: Photoshop touch(PS touch), Snapseed and Picsart, mentioned from the better, most complete and in my opinion the better to the worst. So in my opinion the PS touch is the better one because you can make so much on it. You don't really need to have a PC to do some manipulation. Snapseed is a great photo editor, not so much for manipulation but for the rest is awesome and is really really ez to use, it is so intuitive.

18. Adrian Gonzalez Campos
    Honeycomb Aug 22, 2017

Adrian Gonzalez Campos , Aug 22, 2017 :
    he is asking for video editing no photo editing

19. Guilherme Fontes
    Honeycomb Aug 22, 2017

Ups you are right :/ i thought I read photo editor too sorry for that.

20. Guilherme Fontes
    Honeycomb Aug 22, 2017