Guide How to Flash Ubuntu Touch on OPO using TWRP

1. ojaswinsingh Gingerbread Feb 24, 2016

ojaswinsingh, Feb 24, 2016 :
    Want to try Ubuntu Touch but don't wanna lose your data or get into the hassless of flashing it through Ubuntu on PC? Well, I got you covered. Although, do note that it is basically a backup of the ROM, which i just booted into and backed up. So you will be setting it up from scratch just like a fresh install/flash.

Hi, Community manager for Ubports.

We have calls and headphones working internally but we aren't sending that out yet, the reason why is because the device over heats, currently the device is usable for hours, if we uploaded the code for calls you wouldn't want to put it too your ear.

We are trying to get it fixed though, before the end of this month is what we're aiming for, GPS, Bluetooth etcetera still wont work for a little while but it'll be useable for calls at least.

Also this port isnt just a consept, the port is real and in time will work with all of the hardware.

Its something to note that only this month has the developer decided to take time of work to work on ubports, so he hasn't had much time before now.

Thank you for the feedback.
    Obviously some of the feedback doesn't fall on us such as slow app times and how many apps are in the app store, but we are hoping that porting ubuntu to alternative devices may get more developers looking at and creating apps for ubuntu phones.

I hear if this bug was fixed then apps would start much quicker https://bugs.launchpad.net/apparmor/ bug/1552341

Note: MultiROM now officially supports Ubuntu Touch so you can just install the MultiROM app on your rooted device, wait until it checks for Kexec Hardboot Patch and Click Install Ubuntu after it verifies(Thanks @Dominique57350 for the info).

Now, I've personally tested it by switching to an Android ROM, wiping the 4 Partitions and then restoring this backup, so yes I can confirm that it works!

What you need:-
    TWRP 2.8.6.0
    The TWRP Backup
    WinRAR (32 bit or 64 bit)

Instructions:-
    Download the Backup and TWRP
    2. Flash TWRP, I'd recommend using the official TWRP 2.8.6.0 to avoid any issues.
    3. After downloading the backup(5 Files), copy them all in the same folder and extract the one without any .z extension. I splitted them to avoid any issues with files bigger than 4GB, because the backup is 4.01GB in size.
    4. After extracting you'll find a single TWRP folder, connect you device and copy it to the main directory of your device's storage, Click "Yes" if it asks for replacing any files.
    5. Boot into TWRP and Backup your ROM(Optional)
    6. Go back to the main TWRP Home screen->Press Wipe->Advanced Wipe->Mark Dalvik Cache,System,Data and Cache (Make sure you don't tick Internal Storage or USB-OTG).
    7. While in TWRP, go to the main home screen and press Restore, there select "Ubuntu Touch" and leave all the 4 Boxes checked. Then, Swipe the button on the bottom and wait. The Numbers won't get updated but don't worry, it is getting restored and can take around 3-5 minutes.
    7. Restore the backup. It will stay on the 1+ logo for a while so have some patience.

Disclaimer:
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. YOU are choosing to make these modifications, so don't point the finger at me for messing up your device.
    [/quote]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

2. ojaswinsingh Gingerbread Feb 24, 2016

Screenshots: Check the attached pictures

UI: 8/10. I was really bored with the same old UI of Android, and Ubuntu Touch's UI felt like a good change. The "No buttons required" thing where there's no Home, Back or Menu button might feel weird at first and takes a little getting used to, but in the end provides a refreshing experience.

Stability: 9/10. Its as stable as it gets, No random reboots, No Apps crashing(cause there wasn't any app to use).

Performance: 7/10. Well, there's actually nothing on the App Store to assess the performance but general swiping through apps and menus with more than 8 of em open was smooth for the most part. Webpages load up really quick in the stock browser that comes with it. Although I did notice the phone heating up way too much, reaching temperatures equivalent to what my phone is at after playing heavy games like Asphalt 8, etc. for over 30 mins.

Features: 5/10. Since this is just like a 'Demo' to showcase that Ubuntu Touch running on an Android Device is possible, there aren't many things that work. The Camera, Bluetooth, Calling, 4G(Couldn't test 3G but 2G works), Audio via Headphones(Speakers work fine). Calling doesn't work, Calls fail from my side and when I call from the other side, it keeps ringing, indicating that the call is going on but nothing shows up on the device, where does the call go? I don't know..

Miscellaneous Features: 5/10. The App store on Ubuntu Touch is worse than that of Windows Phone, and believe me when I say that cause I've used Windows Phone as my only device for more than an year. Surprisingly, it has the option to add a Google Account without having to flash any GApps or something. Then, there's no way you can copy files back and forth without using ADB, so this doesn't feel like an everyday Joe would love to have.

Battery Life: 2/10. Its terrible. Period. I went to sleep with battery at 43%(No flight mode and with Wi-Fi on) and woke up in 4hrs just to find it sitting at 5% with the phone switching off in the next few seconds. So yeah, its terrible even with normal usage you'll find it worse than any other Android ROM.

Conclusion: Its still a Work In Progress but at least it boots up, this shows that they might be a little serious about it cause they also have 'Developer' builds uploaded on their website daily. Anyways, I like the concept of having something different from Android, I like where its going and I hope it reaches there..
    [/SPOLIER]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

JnkPanchal008 likes this.
  3. jstepa KitKat Feb 24, 2016

4. ojaswinsingh Gingerbread Feb 24, 2016

It's just like a demo to showcase that Ubuntu Touch on an Android Device is possible(although it has almost all the things that an official Ubuntu device has), Calling doesn't work, No 4G(I couldn't try 3G but 2G works), No Camera, No Audio through Headphones(Speakers work). Anything else i may have missed?

jstepa likes this.
  5. jstepa KitKat Feb 24, 2016

jstepa, Feb 24, 2016 :
    Thanks, this is enough for me at least

ojaswinsingh likes this.
  6. Nicki462 Honeycomb Feb 24, 2016

Nicki462, Feb 24, 2016 :
    On the donation page for the ROM it says that video decode, gps, camera and bluetooth isn't working

7. ojaswinsingh Gingerbread Feb 24, 2016

Oh yeah, i tried Bluetooth..It's also broken..lol

8. ojaswinsingh Gingerbread Feb 24, 2016

jstepa likes this.
  9. jstepa KitKat Feb 24, 2016

jstepa, Feb 24, 2016 :
    I think I'm going to wait until this actually works, there are so many features that are not working, thanks though ;)

ojaswinsingh likes this.
  10. ojaswinsingh Gingerbread Feb 24, 2016

[
    No problem :p

jstepa likes this.
  11. Philippe75 Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 25, 2016

Philippe75, Feb 25, 2016 :
    Hi possible to flash this on secondaire (2)rom on one plus one ? In Multirom ?

With 3.0 twrp ?

12. ojaswinsingh Gingerbread Feb 25, 2016

ojaswinsingh, Feb 25, 2016 :
    Never tried..But you can be the first one :p Which i guess nobody wants to be.. :oops:

Philippe75 likes this.
  13. siva-kumar Honeycomb Feb 25, 2016

siva-kumar, Feb 25, 2016 :
    I have Ubuntu touch running with Multirom (a bug fix version to support opo). Was even able to update online. So your config data remains.
    My feedback. Very slow. Each app switch takes a lot of time.
    GPS and camera/gallery not working is a major issue for me. Lack of apps is a concern. No WhatsApp, for ex. There seems to be with around using web WhatsApp but that app is crashing.
    The speed issue and GPS/camera if fixed will make me use Ubuntu as my daily driver.

Philippe75 likes this.
  14. ojaswinsingh Gingerbread Feb 25, 2016

Well, No speed issues for me but yeah rest of the things i can relate to like the Broken Camera, GPS, etc.

15. siva-kumar Honeycomb Feb 25, 2016

siva-kumar, Feb 25, 2016 :
    I meant lagging, when I meant speed. Loading apps are slow and switching between apps are. But seems decent enough once it is on.
    Are you running stable or dev-proposed?

16. ojaswinsingh Gingerbread Feb 25, 2016

Stable, cause i didn't want others to have any issues..

17. siva-kumar Honeycomb Feb 25, 2016

18. ojaswinsingh Gingerbread Feb 25, 2016

Hope they do cause i feel like i can get used to Ubuntu Touch.. :p

siva-kumar likes this.
  19. ojaswinsingh Gingerbread Feb 26, 2016

20. RazorCharlie Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 26, 2016