How to get an invite and what to do with them

1. JakobRosenberg
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 27, 2014

JakobRosenberg , Jul 27, 2014 :
    Hold your horses
    This post aims to help those who want to make an honest effort while making the forum a little more constructive and a little less cluttered.

Having just registered on the forum your first inclination might be to ask for an invite as often as possible. This might not be the most useful approach. On the contrary. Asking in the wrong threads and/or disregarding the threads first post shows blatant disrespect for everyone. At best your behavior will be ignored, at worst it could render you ineligible for that random invite that finally came your way. It all comes down to the person with the invite.

So does this work in practice? Yes, a couple of minutes after posting this thread, I received the below message from a member who'd like to stay anonymous.

How to get an invite

Keep a clean record
    Some people might glance at your post history after having considered you for an invite. Disregarding the following advice could lose you that invite.

Be kind
    Not just when asking for an invite.

Read the first post
    Nothing’s worse than having threads spammed with “me me me” posts when the first post is asking for something completely different.

Be helpful
    While it probably won’t work in contests, a lot of people reward this behavior.

Pledge a donation for an invite
    Donating to a charity of your’s or someone else’s choosing helps everyone. It might look selfish when the motivation is to get a phone, but it’s still more charitable than giving nothing at all. Your donation will do good and the recipients will be grateful regardless of your motivation.

Fill out your profile
    Especially your signature and profile picture, as these are often easier to remember than your name. It may sound pointless, but the added personality and familiarity goes a long way. You signature is the best place of all to ask for an invite. It's not intrusive and it follows every post you make.

Vow to use your invites for good
    How you would use your own invites could make a compelling case.

Work for it
    Not only does every post in itself have the potential to win you an invite. Some people also feel that a higher post count makes you more deserving.

Google+ and other offsite sources
    While it’s not permitted to spam-link to offsite giveaways and contests, there are no rules against getting an invite offsite. You just can’t advertise the events on the OnePlus forum.

Frequent the forums
    Even if you don’t post. Visiting will make you less likely to miss an invite which makes you a better candidate.

Watch for invite threads and invite groups
    While not as beneficial for the community, this also works.

Wait
    While being new doesn't prevent you from getting an invite, waiting is also an option.

Make a contribution
    Tugged away as the last point, here comes the best advice, by far. Make a contribution. It can be a guide like this, a tutorial, a collection of resources, a third party tool, a "ten things to do when you get your new phone", the list goes on. Even if you have ideas for a guide or a tool, but don't possess the knowledge or skill to create it, you can create a collection of valuable ideas others could use to create tools, guides, etc.

What to do with an invite

Honor your agreement
    If you accepted an invite that came with an obligation, then that comes first. Whether you offered a helping hand or promised to follow an invite chain, be true to your word.

Don’t make people jump through hoops
    Don’t you have something you genuinely want help with? Ask for something meaningful. Don’t needlessly waste others’ time with silly tasks. Rarely will you have such diverse and skillful people standing in line to help you.

How to post an invite
    If you want to post it for the first who finds it. Use a service such as bitly.com (urls) or pastebin.com (text), it only takes a second, or post a picture of it. This way it can’t be scraped.
    Alternatively if you want to send an invite to a specific member, do so via a private message. These can only be read by the intended recipient so it will be more difficult to steal.

Hang on to it
    First things first, the “Terms and Rules” doesn't forbid circulation of invites, but that doesn't mean it’s approved. Ask support before you attempt it.
    Have an invite, but don’t have the money till next week? Circulate it among one or more people you trust. You could ask a friend or family member to sign up to help you with this.

A note for everyone
    As I can't edit the first post, revisions will posted as subsequent posts in this thread.
    Feel free to post additions or to quote and revise it, if you have something to add.

Thanks to all who contribute and try to keep this visible for those whom it may concern.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014

elshaman, vnguyen, pat4200 and 117 others like this.
  2. robotross
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2014

vbchauhan likes this.
  3. lunacyglow
    Donut Jul 27, 2014

4. KBFitz
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2014

5. stellafiveuk
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2014

stellafiveuk , Jul 27, 2014 :
    This is a very good post that all new forum members should read and then follow the advice

6. dogreddog
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2014

dogreddog , Jul 27, 2014 :
    great job, very informative, now if you can figure out a way to get them to read it.

stellafiveuk and lunacyglow like this.
  7. Lauren H
    Gingerbread Jul 27, 2014

Lauren H , Jul 27, 2014 :
    Very helpful. When I started, what I saw was lots of people asking to be picked, so that's what I did. I quickly realized the futility in that strategy. Now I'm just trying to have some fun & waiting. I have a high number. I know others have waited a lot longer.

8. toverstreet2015
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2014

9. Don Jon
    Eclair Jul 27, 2014

10. firestan
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2014

11. blalasaadri
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2014

blalasaadri , Jul 27, 2014 :
    Very nice, @JakobRosenberg. :) I would add the following to the "How to get an invite" part:

Join an invite group or network
    While the rules here differ slightly from group to group, generally you are asked to pass on at least one invite within the group once you yourself have received one. This means that as soon as one person in the group has an invite the chances for others getting invites too will rise dramatically.

In the "What to do with an invite" part I would change the "How to post an invite" tip as follows:

How to post an invite
    If you want to post it for the first who finds it. Use a service such as bitly.com (urls) or pastebin.com (text), it only takes a second, or post a picture of it. This way it can’t be scraped.
    Alternatively if you want to send an invite to a specific member, do so via a private message. These can only be read by the intended recipient so it will be more difficult to steal.

12. Mihail_Ko
    Jelly Bean Jul 27, 2014

13. maniac31
    Cupcake Jul 27, 2014

maniac31 , Jul 27, 2014 :
    It's such a shame this post is on the bottom of the second page, I feel like so many people on this forum would benefit from reading this..

JakobRosenberg and cjiang like this.
  14. JakobRosenberg
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 27, 2014

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

Pranav Phatak, cjiang and blalasaadri like this.
  15. FireBoost06
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2014

Pranav Phatak and JakobRosenberg like this.
  16. blalasaadri
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2014

blalasaadri , Jul 27, 2014 :
    Wow, congratulations! You deserve it. :)

17. Didier Verkest
    KitKat Jul 27, 2014

18. Kopower
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2014

Kopower , Jul 28, 2014 :
    Just joined yesterday, and this thread was very helpful. Thanks for the info

19. manas.mr
    Honeycomb Jul 28, 2014

Pranav Phatak and JakobRosenberg like this.
  20. JakobRosenberg
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 28, 2014

JakobRosenberg , Jul 28, 2014 :
    Since this thread got bumped, let me just stress the importance of NOT ignoring the first posts. People are getting fed up with the increasing amount of requesters who don't read the first post in the threads they reply to.

Don't let your post history ruin a potential invite.

DoomCaek, GoIrish and Pranav Phatak like this.