How To Get Lollipop Dialer Back...

1. secretkloud
    Gingerbread Aug 26, 2015

secretkloud , Aug 26, 2015 :
    This is for everyone who has updated to COS 12.1 and does not like the DialerNext that Cyanogen appears to have forced on us. There's no built in option to restore the stock Lollipop dialer for now. This is my workaround.

Installing the Google Dialer apk won't work. The libs necessary are no longer in the ROM, far as I can see. Start by downloading a flashable zip from this link:

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934552274

Please note that you need ROOT for this to work.
    Also, I uninstalled the true caller app first chance I got, so I can't verify if any conflicts might come up. I doubt it, anyhow.

Reboot into custom recovery (I use TWRP), make a backup of system (just in case) and flash the zip. No need to wipe cache. Reboot.
    Go to Settings/Apps and disable Dialler (com.android.dialer, version 5.1.1) and Google Contacts (com.google.android.contacts, version 1.1). That's it.

Create a shortcut for Phone (from the app drawer) unto the homescreen if you need it. It may be necessary to delete the existing Phone shortcut if it's still there.

It should also be possible to create a flashable zip from 12.0 ROM for just the dialer. Anyone interested in that?

Full credits to Thyrus for making the flashable zip. Don't know his handle in this forum (if he's here) else I'd have done the needful. Enjoy!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015

2. Shrapnelist
    Jelly Bean Aug 26, 2015

3. dopey
    Eclair Aug 26, 2015

dopey , Aug 26, 2015 :
    Thanks for the thread. While I appreciate that you can do this kind of thing with android fairly easily, I had hoped for the One Plus One to replace my Nexus 5 as my primary driver phone. I.e. I want it stable, and to simply work without hacks.

I have a couple of random rooted devices for development purposes that I'm wiping and reinstalling all the time but i want my daily driver to just work without needing to hack it.

4. secretkloud
    Gingerbread Aug 26, 2015

I feel the same, but needs must. Can't afford another phone right now. Milking this One for all it's worth...

5. bgizzle
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 26, 2015

bgizzle , Aug 26, 2015 :
    If you want just the dialer, you can delete the contact app from the zip. The script just has this:

show_progress(1.0,0);
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/system");
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/data");
    set_progress(0.2);
    ui_print("");

ui_print("Writing themeable Google Dialer");
    ui_print("Writing themeable Google Contacts");

package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
    set_progress(0.9);
    ui_print("");

ui_print("Finishing Up");
    unmount("/system");
    unmount("/data");
    set_progress(1.00);

So, that means that anything in system will be transferred. Remove it from the zip and there should be no error and less bloat.

akshayprabhu likes this.
  6. secretkloud
    Gingerbread Aug 26, 2015

Two separate methods. Either one should work. I used the first and suggest that. The only downside is that the zip also contains Google Contacts, meaning there'll be two of them after flashing. That's why I suggested making a dedicated zip, possibly from 12.0. If you can please do so...

7. bgizzle

bgizzle , Aug 26, 2015 :
    Why not have the zip delete the old contact app and the old dialer?

Show me the names of the folders in the /system/priv-app folder.

8. secretkloud
    Gingerbread Aug 26, 2015

The contact app is fine. No issues. The new dialer is in system/priv-app/DailerNext

9. bgizzle

bgizzle , Aug 26, 2015 :
    Ok... so dialerNext has to go. What is the name of the contact app?

Is it even the same as before?

10. secretkloud
    Gingerbread Aug 26, 2015

Contact app is in system/priv-app/contacts. The one in the zip installs into a separate folder, Google Contacts. They are both Contacts.apk

11. bgizzle

bgizzle , Aug 26, 2015 :
    When you open the apps, they both look the same?

12. secretkloud
    Gingerbread Aug 26, 2015

Yeah, except the one in the zip doesn't theme. That's the one I disabled and all is well...

13. secretkloud
    Gingerbread Aug 26, 2015

..And true caller is a separate apk. It can be uninstalled normally, but I don't know where where it resides cos I removed it first thing. Also I don't know if removing the dialer without removing true caller will cause conflicts. That's why I just disabled it.
    Any script you write may need to check for and remove true caller, just in case...

bgizzle likes this.
  14. bgizzle

bgizzle , Aug 26, 2015 :
    It won't.

Can you go to system/apps and see what the truecaller folder is called? If you can remove it, it is in apps.

15. secretkloud
    Gingerbread Aug 26, 2015

Nothing. Not surprised. I uninstalled before attempting any of this...

16. bgizzle

bgizzle , Aug 26, 2015 :
    :(

You still got the cyanogen file? You can dirty flash it lol.

secretkloud likes this.
  17. secretkloud
    Gingerbread Aug 26, 2015

No way. Daily driver. Won't go into that. Will just settle for a strong reminder to uninstall True Caller first...

18. bgizzle

bgizzle , Aug 26, 2015 :
    o_O. How is a dirty flash going to hurt? You already did a dirty flash to update.

Whatever, if it is not worth your time, it is surely not worth mine.

19. secretkloud
    Gingerbread Aug 26, 2015

Didn't dirty flash. I don't dirty flash if I can help it. This is currently my only phone. Thanks for the info...

20. bgizzle

bgizzle , Aug 26, 2015 :
    If you updated, you performed a dirty flash. All updates are dirty flashes.

NexusFive likes this.