How to help OnePlus

1. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Mar 10, 2014

Carl, Mar 10, 2014 :
    Created together with our fans

We started OnePlus because we thought there was an opportunity to shake things up in a industry that's otherwise getting a little boring. The only way to change things is by doing them differently than in the past. No one has done it before us, and we're learning as we go on a daily basis.

From the very start, one of our core beliefs was in the power of our fans, and to empower them we knew we had to be as transparent as possible. In reality, we're building this company together with our fans. We believe in this so much that we've cut our marketing budgets immensely to return the value to our fans. We believe in this so much that we're planning to not make money for two years. Our people believe in this so much that we're all working 70+ hours, week in and week out to realize these dreams.

Thinking about it, it's quite a crazy way to run a company. However, everything that's now worthwhile was once just a crazy idea.

Help us spread the word

Already, we're seeing support from all over the world. It's humbling. I've even seen some friends asking how to donate to the cause. This inspired me to create this post.

Currently, money is not what we need the most. What we need the most is for more people to know about us, what we're doing, and that there is a choice. Instead of donating, helping us spread the word is the best way to help at this time.

Since we're not doing traditional marketing, word of mouth is the only way for new people to hear about us.

Where to spread the word:
    • Blog comments: On news and blog posts about other smartphones, let people know that we exist, to help them make an informed decision on what suits them the best.
    • Forums: When people ask on other forums what smartphone they should buy, let them know that OnePlus also exists as a choice.
    • Social media: When users complain on other brands' social media pages, let them know of OnePlus if you think it will help them.
    • Friends and family (offline): Finally, do your friends a favor by telling them friends about us and help them make a better decision on what to phone to get.
    The internet can make the world more transparent and return the power to consumers from greedy corporations, but it won't happen on its own. Let's do something about it! :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014

2. script Nougat Moderator Mar 10, 2014

pipecap, caldrich, Ceasedd and 15 others like this.
  3. Rob W Ice Cream Sandwich Community Expert Mar 10, 2014

Rob W, Mar 10, 2014 :
    I have quite a few people that are looking to me for phone choices. I'm spreading the word about the hopes that of what this company will become.

There are a lot of people that want something new and interesting, especially in the mostly stagnant mobile market. We're seeing more wearable tech than innovative mobile phone tech.

I hope be a big proponent of broadcasting the motto and beliefs of OnePlus. I've already been talking it up for months now. Many, many people want to get in on this, especially because of the community based methods that OnePlus has operated so far.

The people believe in OnePlus. So we need to make sure that the phone is done the right way. OnePlus owes it to the fans that have been spreading the word already for a device that hasn't even been seen yet.

There is no limit to how big OnePlus can grow. The consumers will be the ones that make the company successful. So it's amazing to see a company so seriously considering the customer base and not the profit margin.

I'm honored to be a part of this.

4. HolySmokesBatty Froyo Mar 10, 2014

HolySmokesBatty, Mar 10, 2014 :
    Good to see that @Carl is paying attention to the direction of thread conversations. I love the community involvement.

I'm doing as much as I can to spread the word. Sadly I don't have many friends that are as tech savvy as I am, but as more is known, I'll be expanding the circle of people that I try to bring to the OPO side!

5. Carl Co-founder Staff Member Mar 10, 2014

6. Corey M Gingerbread Mar 10, 2014

Corey M, Mar 10, 2014 :
    Already doing this! ... especially with friends and family, as well as the phone geeks at my local AT&T store :p

jeffj318, aheaton21 and mpirozzo like this.
  7. atai108 Donut Mar 10, 2014

atai108, Mar 10, 2014 :
    It's funny that I still know so little about this new device and even less about this seemingly amazing company but I have already begun to share with close friends that you guys exist. I am on the fence about whether I will take the dive and buy it since I am a real Android purest and will have to wait to see how true to the Android experience this device stays. Right now I have a Moto X because I love that they tried to stay out of the way of Android and instead enhance it where they saw an opportunity. Good luck guys on your product launch and perhaps I will be one of the first to own one of these devices!

jeffj318, cdisxm, nortega20 and 3 others like this.
  8. Frederick Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 10, 2014

Frederick, Mar 10, 2014 :
    Honestly, spending so little on marketing might hurt 1+ in the long run. It's just super hard to get your name out there without a lot of marketing. The online tech community is really small compared to the real world. We talking to our friends into 1+ is probably not going to cut it. It is super amazing seeing 1+ selling their phone for such a low price, but how are you going to make a profit in the long run? You contribution margin is probably already low, which means you have to sell much more to cover your fixed cost. Without marketing, it's just really hard for this phone to sell like hot cake even though it has full potential to do so. I really want 1+ to succeed and get their name out there, but in the business stand point, it is really hard. Look at how Samsung got their Galaxy name out there, they spend so much money on marketing and that's when the brand Samsung is already well known. Word of mouth is just not enough.

mpirozzo, D9inho and Kellan Drucquer like this.
  9. sudo-O//e Donut Mar 10, 2014

sudo-O//e, Mar 10, 2014 :
    im sure when friends,family and co workers see me with my brand new "One" they'll be wanting to get one too :cool:

pi_mat, Sept12Coo2, rpires16 and 5 others like this.
  10. ML_Heng Gingerbread Mar 10, 2014

ML_Heng, Mar 10, 2014 :
    Think those people that are excited about oneplus are mostly technology geeks and early adopters like me.

It's hard to tell the mass market consumers at this moment about oneplus without the physical appearance and fully specs of the phone.

Try telling a non geek about SD 800, 3100 mAh battery with mystery tech. They will look at you as if you are from Mars, speaking alien language ;)

11. ML_Heng Gingerbread Mar 10, 2014

ML_Heng, Mar 10, 2014 :
    Agree, look at HTC, believing that that they make the best quality built mobile phones, and did not invest in marketing.

Hope Oneplus will not end up as the same fate of HTC.

Axara, mpirozzo, D9inho and 1 other person like this.
  12. Yashodhan Goenka Donut Mar 10, 2014

13. sudo-O//e Donut Mar 10, 2014

sudo-O//e, Mar 10, 2014 :
    that's exactly how it goes, uh huh yea, ok,huh, i see....with a blank look on their face and then you know it's time to change the convo :oops:

Dgl1994, Axara, mpirozzo and 4 others like this.
  14. ML_Heng Gingerbread Mar 10, 2014

ML_Heng, Mar 10, 2014 :
    Haha sometime my colleagues really think that I am from out of this world, speaking only Martians English which no one understands haha

jeffj318, Axara, mpirozzo and 2 others like this.
  15. muddy46 Jelly Bean Mar 10, 2014

muddy46, Mar 10, 2014 :
    I work at a public school. Once my students see my sleek new OnePlus phone pulled from my pocket I am sure I will get the "Woah! what phone is that?" response. It wont be the first time I have had an impromptu focus group spawn from pulling a new great looking but unknown phone from my pocket.

pipecap, jeffj318, cdisxm and 3 others like this.
  16. Adam Krisko KitKat Community Expert Mar 10, 2014

Adam Krisko, Mar 10, 2014 :
    I'm doing my part in the war for the spread of knowledge for OnePlus! Most of my friends and family look to me before purchasing any technology, and boy have I been talking you guys up! Some of my relatives has actually contacted me specifically to ask whats going on in the forums!

pipecap, madmike95, PRK.R and 5 others like this.
  17. bertust Honeycomb Mar 10, 2014

bertust, Mar 10, 2014 :
    The more information we have about the phone, its specs, and its date of availability, the easier it is to spread the word. We're getting there, but there is still a long way to go. I consider myself to be a tech savvy individual and I keep track of what is going on in the industry. That is what got me interested in the OnePlus phone. However, when I talk to friends who might be in the market for a new phone, they want concrete things to go on. When will I be able to get it? What will it cost? Will it have a good camera? Will it allow for extra storage? Some of these questions are starting to be answered, but a lot aren't. I think that those of us who are interested in what you are doing and like what we see would be more than happy to help out by spreading the word, but in order to do that, there must be word to spread. Facts. Specs. Something concrete. If the hope really is to spread your vision beyond those who already follow the industry closely, then we have to be armed with the kind of information that can be used to tempt people into holding off on pre-ordering the next Samsung or LG product. I understand that the trickle of specs and features is part of a marketing plan, but knowledge is power, and so far we don't have quite enough.

k-taru, CobieSunan, Axara and 9 others like this.
  18. HolySmokesBatty Froyo Mar 10, 2014

HolySmokesBatty, Mar 10, 2014 :
    I definitely have this same advantage. I'm generally the "go to guy" for all things tech in my circle of people. Assuming this phone blows me away as well as I hope it will, I'll be recommending it to everyone I know.

cdisxm, Nat21 and mpirozzo like this.
  19. Frederick Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 10, 2014

Frederick, Mar 10, 2014 :
    That's exactly what I want from this phone also. A good looking phone that has some stare value and not a galaxy or an iPhone

20. muddy46 Jelly Bean Mar 10, 2014

muddy46, Mar 10, 2014 :
    Also, I am an avid reader of Engadget, Android Authority, Android Central, Droid Life, and a couple of other tech sites. I have mentioned and/or have seen OnePlus mentioned more then once on all these sites. I for one am very excited about the philosophies upon which the OnePlus business is being built. I love being part of this widely diverse forum group. I have talked about this great start-up company to my family and even managed to get my 15 year old son excited about whats in the pipeline from OnePlus. Not easy as it sounds with him as he is the type that likes to do and own what the "in-crowd" at school does and owns. He even told me just a couple of days ago that he was talking with a couple of friend at school about OnePlus and they seemed to show a level of interest above and beyond their usual fixation of what the "in-crowd" kids owned at the moment. He said they asked him several questions which he did not have the answers to so he came home from school and asked me for the answers to bring back to his friends. He brought them back the answers and they had more questions. To sum it up they more they are learning about OnePlus, the more excited the are becoming: the word is being spread.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014