[How To] Install OxygenOS 3.2.8 Update (Root/Non Root Users) Without Data Loss!!

1. doublelime
    Cupcake Dec 14, 2016

doublelime , Dec 14, 2016 :
    Can I use the official oneplus download if I am rooted, or am I only able to use the signed zip from the mirrors?

2. Asumos
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 14, 2016

Asumos , Dec 14, 2016 :
    they are both the same file, you need the 1.3GB file wether you get it from a mirror or oneplus download page is all the same

3. Jarmake
    Cupcake Dec 16, 2016

Jarmake , Dec 16, 2016 :
    Downloaded the full rom, installed just like in the instructions and ta-dah! Everything (backups too...), including every single picture from my child's birth to party pictures were gone... Not even mentioning my 18 Gigs of audiobooks, music, work related stuff, etc.

I'm not too happy about this, to be honest. Also lost my root, since the downloaded superSU was corrupted. But the root loss was just a minor thing. The pics of my children (first smiles and laughs and so on) make me a bit sad. Well, I've had a lesson today. Backup your pics frequently.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

4. vampyren
    Froyo Dec 17, 2016

vampyren , Dec 17, 2016 :
    I really am scared of the updates now, i downloaded from the official link and followed the guide but my phone was wiped clean :/
    Not sure why, i done this 2-3 times before and it has not wiped the phone so not sure what was different this time. Maybe the file?

5. Asumos
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 17, 2016

Asumos , Dec 17, 2016 :
    did you use adb sideload or did you flash via twrp/official update procedure?

6. Jarmake
    Cupcake Dec 18, 2016

Jarmake , Dec 18, 2016 :
    So, the same thing as went down on my op3. I downloaded the complete rom from op download site to my phone and flashed it from twrp recovery just as every single time before. There wasn't any problems earlier and I did everything the same way as always, but my phone was wiped completely anyway.

vampyren likes this.
  7. yo5ima
    Donut Dec 18, 2016

yo5ima , Dec 18, 2016 :
    download & install Opera VPN fron google store, change region to Canada or US. Check update from settings. Install update recived via OTA.

8. vampyren
    Froyo Dec 20, 2016

vampyren , Dec 20, 2016 :
    Next time i will backup even the backup from TWRP so i'm covered. I never knew that update could wipe the while memory :/
    There should be a warning in the guide really.

9. Pranavkurup99
    Eclair Dec 21, 2016

10. juhe68
    Cupcake Dec 21, 2016

juhe68 , Dec 21, 2016 :
    The rom from oneplus download page has an additional entry in "\META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script"
    Last line:
    format("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata", "0", "/data")

I think that is the problem!

11. RandomDude66613
    Gingerbread Dec 21, 2016

RandomDude66613 , Dec 21, 2016 :
    Is that possible to flash OOS 3.5.4 on OnePlus 3 instead of 3.2.8 that every OnePlus 3 users have now? Or OOS 3.5.x was made only for OnePlus 3T?

12. G_Yuri_Vincki_xELV
    Cupcake Dec 21, 2016

G_Yuri_Vincki_xELV , Dec 21, 2016 :
    Hello guys!
    I just got the Chinese version of OnePlus3 (with HydrogenOS) but I want to install the OxygenOS.
    My question:
    Should I download the OxygenOS 3.2.8 ROM from OP website and follow the procedure of sideload described in this topic? Or it is better to to root/twrp/supersu to install it?

Thanks!!

13. vampyren
    Froyo Dec 21, 2016

vampyren , Dec 21, 2016 :
    WAOO that was not something i would figure out, but thanks allot for letting me (others) know. Atleast i know the method is ok but i should not take the official image. Cheers!

ps. Maybe open a support ticket and ask them why they put it in there?

14. francis0126
    Cupcake Dec 22, 2016

francis0126 , Dec 22, 2016 :
    My phone keep ramdom reboot and freeze after the update 3.2.8 with superSU rooted. After unroot everything work normally. Anyone facing this issue before?

15. roybhanushali
    Cupcake Dec 22, 2016

16. G_JV_jafa_CNtv
    Cupcake Dec 22, 2016

17. Msalomo
    Eclair Dec 25, 2016

Msalomo , Dec 25, 2016 :
    Can someone help me using teamviewer?

I still get the message cannot read <filename>
    no matter what filename I put in there it will never read it. Even if the file doesn't exist it will still say cannot read, which tells me it's not even trying an attempt.

yes it recognizes my device
    yes the filename only has .zip after it, not .zip.zip
    yes ive tried renaming it to 10 different things including rom.img
    yes ive tried the adb in administrator and not
    yes ive disabled my anti virus software

18. Jaewon
    Cupcake Dec 25, 2016

19. Pranavkurup99
    Eclair Dec 26, 2016

Pranavkurup99 , Dec 26, 2016 :
    i had the same issue
    rename file to otaupdate. zip
    and when flashing type
    adb devices (enter)
    adb sideload otaupdate.zip.zip (enter)

20. let92
    Eclair Dec 28, 2016

let92 , Dec 28, 2016 :
    I also lost all my data from my phone after updating to OOS 3.2.8, luckily I had a copy of a TWRP backup on my PC made earlier before the update, but I lost all my photos, music and videos.
    OnePlus please advise if there are data losses as this update.