[How-to] Password Protect TWRP

1. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Jul 12, 2015

Dr. Indest , Jul 12, 2015 :
    For my friend @oneminusone.

This is not full proof protection. This is an extra speed bump for idiots.

• Download the attached file
    • Copy ui.zip to "/sdcard/TWRP/theme"
    • Reboot recovery
    • The following default password: OPORULES
    • In theory, you can go to Settings> Change Password> type in the default password again> type in new password.
      • However, that has not worked for me. To change it manually, go to line 206 of the ui.xml and edit the password.
        • To keep the format, use 7zip and don't decompile the zip. Just drag the ui.xml to your desktop, edit the file and then drag it back into the zip.
        • The line to edit looks like this: <variable name="heslo" value="OPORULES" />

To uninstall, delete the ui.zip from "/sdcard/TWRP/theme" (If you password protect your home screen and disable USB debugging, you can prevent the casual thief from uninstalling this.)

Enjoy folks.

Modified for our OPOs from this post.

I will try to fix the change password feature.

Attached Files:

• ui.zip
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015

2. I73770k
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 12, 2015

TheJames likes this.
  3. Hiraeth

4. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Jul 12, 2015

5. Cobrin

Cobrin , Jul 12, 2015 :
    who else is gonna be stuffing with the phone, flap that... take some ownership instead.

6. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Jul 12, 2015

This is just for those that care. I am not saying it is for everyone.

7. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Jul 12, 2015

@Aaahh want to look at the ui.XML?

In short, the password sticks on the cache but is not written to the sdcard and upon a reboot it is erased. This is what forces use to manually edit the zip before placing it on our phone.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015

8. cajy7817
    Eclair Nov 17, 2015

cajy7817 , Nov 17, 2015 :
    Thanks.. This worked.. I have a friend who constantly uses my phone to send inappropriate messages to my contacts.. I've locked it, but he opens the recovery and wipes the phone EVERYTIME!!! Which is really irritating.. But in the end he's a good guy who gets on my nerves when he takes my phone.. Obviously he wont be able to take my phone home to re-image via Fastboot or stuff, but I can be sure for now that he won't be able to wipe my phone from TWRP while we're at work... Thank you very much @Reboot101

Dr. Indest likes this.
  9. armindo
    Donut Dec 4, 2015

armindo , Dec 4, 2015 :
    i didn't tried change the password, the default its ok for me. Thank you

10. anzi2001
    Jelly Bean Dec 4, 2015

anzi2001 , Dec 4, 2015 :
    you know the dude could just reflash twrp? youd need to have protected fastboot too :D now that would be awesome :D

11. Dr. Indest
    Lollipop Dec 4, 2015

Dr. Indest , Dec 4, 2015 :
    "This is not full proof protection. This is an extra speed bump for idiots."

:p

Also, I found out a way to password protect fastboot..... just throw away your phone : p.

anzi2001 likes this.
  12. GuarDiShar
    Cupcake Jan 31, 2016

GuarDiShar , Jan 31, 2016 :
    Hi, i just wanted to thank you for your efforts, this is better than nothing at all. I believe that if you guys come together in the way that Google and Apple's developers are united, you guys will undoubtedly be able turn android into a secure system without taking away any of it's freedoms which is what most of us strive towards, then we could take on google as it strips away our privacy and hides options which will not be respected even if disabled by us. This is a big issue and YOU GUYS NEED TO UNITE! Again i thank you for your efforts, respect!

Dr. Indest and rphlfjrd like this.
  13. Cluwless
    Cupcake Feb 21, 2016

14. Aaahh
    Marshmallow Feb 21, 2016

Aaahh , Feb 21, 2016 :
    wow OnePlus, still hating on me, not tagging me to shit.

15. AntMunny
    KitKat Feb 21, 2016

AntMunny , Feb 21, 2016 :
    he's still your friend?

16. cajy7817
    Eclair Feb 25, 2016

cajy7817 , Feb 25, 2016 :
    :D :D :D Yeah he is.. he's a good guy.... Just has his hands itchy to play around with something.