How to Photography? IT'S AN ART!!

1. NateAteTeen
    Froyo Feb 11, 2017

NateAteTeen , Feb 11, 2017 :
    Photography is an expression and art form by using a camera whether it be your new OnePlus phone or dslr. Here is how to be a better photographer.

1. You should always edit your photos to whatever best looks to you because it is your art. You don't want to have your photography be defined by how your camera processes the photo to how the algorithms think your photo should look. Spend a little extra time adjusting some sliders before you share your photo. Then, you can truly call that photo yours.

2. You should always take your photos in raw format because it gives you the photography (the artist) the most information without compression to edit your photos. With a raw format, you have an uncompressed pixel by pixel photo that you took which gives you greater granularity to edit your photo.

3. Don't take the photo that everyone else takes. Try to find a new perspective which sometimes means get low on the ground or walk a few 100 meters.

4. Think about your composition. Look for leading lines, complementing or contrasting colors, foreground and background, etc.

5. Lastly, get up and get out from your couch, and start taking photos.

Comment below if you want me to make a little tutorial on how to edit your OnePlus raw files.

Here is my latest photo with my OnePlus 3T taken in the middle of a snow storm at Purdue University.
    Raw file edited in Adobe Lightroom CC. Aperture : f/2; Shutter: 1/400; ISO: 100; CC Nathaniel Young.
    NathanielYoung2MPIMG_20170208_133503sRGB.jpg

If you want to support me and follow me photography journey, please check out my photography page at Instagram, 500px, or Facebook:
    https://www.instagram.com/nyoungstudios/
    https://500px.com/nyoungstudios
    https://www.facebook.com/nyoungstudios/

2. Vicky945
    Froyo Feb 11, 2017

aqd890, osher199966 and script like this.
  3. NateAteTeen
    Froyo Feb 11, 2017

NateAteTeen , Feb 11, 2017 :
    Okay then, I will plan to do some soon!!

4. script
    Nougat Moderator Feb 11, 2017

script , Feb 11, 2017 :
    Super great. Thank you. If you need any help, pm me.

script

NateAteTeen and nobelium76 like this.
  5. puccellino
    Lollipop Feb 11, 2017

puccellino , Feb 11, 2017 :
    Nice thread, I too, would like to know more about editing. Would be very keen to see the step by step changes between raw to fully edited format.

:)

nobelium76 likes this.
  6. nobelium76
    KitKat Feb 11, 2017

nobelium76 , Feb 11, 2017 :
    Great post! I look forward to further posts/tutorials.

puccellino likes this.
  7. F_William_Guttman_JhRM
    Gingerbread Feb 11, 2017

8. nobelium76
    KitKat Feb 11, 2017

nobelium76 , Feb 11, 2017 :
    I actually have snapseed, but it doesn't offer the depth a computer program offers. It is great for quick, decent edits, though.

@NateAteTeen are you using a phone app to edit, or computer apps (Gimp, Photoshop, etc.)?

9. Mark Falsing
    Jelly Bean Moderator Feb 11, 2017

Mark Falsing , Feb 11, 2017 :
    I agree on you that it is art, the cool thing about photography is the individual view on how a person sees the world. A friend of mine did a project called 365.
    One picture a day for a year, sounds easy but it really isn't...

Great pictures and keep up the good work

10. N_davis8
    Cupcake Feb 12, 2017

11. N_davis8
    Cupcake Feb 12, 2017

12. G_Adam_Al-Jidy_EAMK
    Donut Feb 12, 2017

G_Adam_Al-Jidy_EAMK , Feb 12, 2017 :
    You definitely raise some great tips. I think that the most important thing to draw attention to is composition. Thinking about the rule of thirds, shooting angles, leading lines can set your photos apart from the rest. Even if the technical quality of the photo isn't the best.

NateAteTeen likes this.
  13. NateAteTeen
    Froyo Feb 12, 2017

NateAteTeen , Feb 12, 2017 :
    I pay for the all the desktop Adobe Creative Cloud applications. I use Lightroom to edit my raw files (from both my phone and mirrorless camera) and Photoshop to create panoramas or do further touch ups.

14. NateAteTeen
    Froyo Feb 12, 2017

Oooh wow, yea it can be tough to push yourself creatively each day.

Thank you very much!!

Mark Falsing likes this.
  15. NateAteTeen
    Froyo Feb 12, 2017

Okay then, I will put that on my list of todos!!

script and puccellino like this.
  16. Mark Falsing
    Jelly Bean Moderator Feb 12, 2017

Mark Falsing , Feb 12, 2017 :
    16700594_10155030838493624_3082049755229019639_o.jpg

This was one of his pictures. Analog picture in the summer, same location with a picture in the winter. Not shot by a smartphone but you get the idea...

17. stuie bedubbie
    Gingerbread Mar 28, 2017

stuie bedubbie , Mar 28, 2017 :
    Great ideas for creatives., Photography can be an artistic endeavour, creation of visions that convey beauty ( or many other things).
    However for many many people, the smartphone has opened up the ability to just take quick shots of everyday occurrences, people, friends, scenes that they want capture to share, keep a visual record for the memory, or just lay forgotten in googles digital vaults.
    So for a whole lotta peoples, how well the camers takes shots in auto mode is significant. Many of these phone users could not grapple with photoshop, lightroom etc even if they had the resources like pc or laptop with hi end processor lots of ram etc,
    Mobile photography for the plebs, shoot multiple shots, maybe for every 20 you get 1 keeper, . Play around with camera settings when you are trying something different, but often its just get the phone up an shoot away before the scene in front of you disappears.
    So its great that the oneplus (3 in my case) give a really good platform for creative artists who spend time with their artform..
    But for me its probably even more significant that Oneplus has put really good mobile picture taking into the hands of everyday picture snappers.

P.s. i was gonna add some pics i took on the fly over weekend with failing afternoon light on auto thst came out really good, clesr depth of field, contrast adjusted for low light so clean images, but OP server restricted to 1 x 2 mb image

18. stuie bedubbie
    Gingerbread Mar 28, 2017

script likes this.
  19. NateAteTeen
    Froyo Mar 28, 2017

NateAteTeen , Mar 28, 2017 :
    Okay, your point is well taken, and yes even people who use photography as their artistic passion still need to take snapshots with their phone every once in a while. However, my post's audience includes people who want to become better photographers and learn a little bit more of this creative field, not the person who just takes snapshots of whatever is in front of them. Let me just say that photography is more than having a technically sound photo, but the composition, atmosphere, and mood it paints all contribute greatly. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

20. rake8h
    Froyo Mar 28, 2017